Hello & 3 kids in a 2006 Subaru Legacy?

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm just here for now, since I'm pretty busy with four kids and school... Edmunds.com actually lists rear hip room for vehicles, used and new. I often use it as a resource for determining what seats we can get into cars--although the armrests in the doors sometimes get in the way. I don't doubt you can get three across in the Subaru Legacy with one or two Radians--depending on your expiry date and the size of your newborn, you may even be able to use that 3-in-1 for your third seat in the centre (you mentioned not being able to get the passenger seat all the way back.)

There is a tech on the board from the Toronto area.

-Nicole.

QuassEE

You won't be able to use your LATCH anchors for a three-across install... They're more inboard versus the seatbelt path itself, which wastes a good 2" of space in most cars. You will definitely have to use the seatbelts--all three of them.

-Nicole.

Corynn

And I just realized I did not state that it is a 2006 legacy wagon, if that makes a difference. (You guys are a lot more help than the "Subaru Drivers" Bulletin board... I guess I don't fit the demographic.)

cdncasper I'd hate to have you work on a layover, and I'd probably have two kids in toe... tricky to say the least! Thanks for the offer of help!

crunchierthanthou

The low Radian beltpath is often incompatible with the long buckle stalks of a Subaru. Even twisting the buckle stalk three full twists can make for a difficult install. IME, it doesn't work at all coupled with the hump in the center.

Corynn

I'm tall, so the drivers seat has to be all the way back, baby#3 has to go behind the passenger seat. I'm assuming then oldest in the middle and middle child behind the drivers seat.

QuassEE

Definitely the seatbelts are a consideration.. At least they've gotten rid of that nasty plastic bit in the centre seat. Being in a major city, I suspect there are some sources for Radians to test out in the vehicle..?

-Nicole.

Corynn

I'm thinking I could go to babyproofers get three radians then I'm at a loss, DH does not have the patience or the dexterity to install them and I'm... well... huge. All I know about is the apointment thing with the police or wait and hope I make it to a clinic.
Then I guess if it doesn't work I can return the seats and place an add for the car. Living downtown I'm trying hard not to move to a minivan.

QuassEE

It's worth a shot. I know people have been successful with the Radian in newer Legacys. It's a difficult install at times, no matter which vehicle...

Don't be so resistant on the minivan front. I drove SUVs for years and when I got my first minivan (2005 Sienna, in 2004) I was in love. I still love it. I can't believe it took me so long to realize what a wonderful experience a minivan is...

-Nicole.

Corynn

I grew up in a minivan, (although they were not to mini back then).
They are very useful I suppose, it's the thought of having to parallel park the suckers umpteen times a day that makes me shudder. And we don't need the cargo space save a few times a year. (And I may sound like a gearhead as I say this but I just love the way the legacy drives, I'm having a hard time giving that up for an SUV even.) I may end up there in the end, but part of it is that we just can't afford an odyssey or sienna and I cringe at the thought of a Caravan....

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If you can afford the brand new '08 Caravan, they are *nothing* like the old caravans. They actually drive nicer than the Ody's we tested and they are super quiet at highway speeds. ;) I really surprised myself by purchasing one. They also have back up camera's in them which make parallel parking a breeze. :D

I'm not familiar with the Legacy so I'm not much help with your 3 across situation. :eek: If you can try out a Radian in your vehicle... read up on these install tips. They should help you to see if you can get a good install...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

Corynn

Re: Hello & 3 kids in a 2006 Subaru Legacy? Update!

I've called everyone in the city (Toronto). And this is what I've come up with. Moms to be and More seem to be the only store that both carries Radians and provides installation services. I called the car seat installation center and the gentleman I spoke to said they've only ever had a successful three across situation once. He also said that they hate to install radians. Regardless I think I am going to try two Radians. Here is my thinking and let me know if there is a flaw.

DS #1 ff radian seatbelt install behind driver.
DS #2 ff radian seatbelt install behind passenger.
baby #3 rear facing triumph middle hump seatbelt install.

My impression is that this seat sits higher allowing for a little more room, and the adjusters might be higher? I'm also trying to deal with the fact that I will not have a bucket:(

The measurements seems to work...in theory.

After....
DS#1 booster on center hump (is that allowed?) I'm thinking maybe a clek??? (although I'm not sure I like the booster only seats)
DS#2 ff radian driver seat
Baby #3 ff radian passenger seat

I suppose now I'm completely dependent on the installation centre to give it their best go...(I'm getting the impression they might not.) I just wish I weren't already 8 months pregnant, or I'd do it myself, I'm the stubborn type!

Please let me know if you can think of any problems with this plan, before I take the plunge.

Thanks Again, Corynn

Corynn

Also I have not verified this yet but have been told that it is the case. If the manual advises against using a child seat in the centre position, but still provides a tether would this still be considered safe (provided one can achieve a good install)?

thrillhouse

we have a different car, but our manual says not to use lower anchors to install a carseat in the center position. We can still use a seatbelt to install there, so that's why we have a tether anchor in that position. check your manual, and see if you're just not supped to use the lower latch anchors there.

What I would try is..
radian ff behind driver, another radian ffing center. the hump in the centre might help your install by raising the 2nd radian so the shoulders of the 2 seats are slightly offsetting eachother vertically. clear as mud? then you can have your rfing seat (whichever one you can fit) outboard to make buckling your new baby easier, and safer since the most protected child should ideally be in the least protected spot in the car.

re: not having a bucket, get yourself a sling, its much nicer to carry a baby that way than to lug around a hard cumbersome car seat around. car seats should should stay in the car (weather permitting) not to mention babies who are in their buckets too much can quickly get flat, misshaped heads. just a little crusade of mine :)

Corynn

I'll give it a shot...Work with me here, why would the newborn be considered the most protected?

As far as the sling thing, I hear ya...I've actually got a few too many, and I didn't use the bucket at all for DS #2, I suppose I'm just panicked about the 2 under 2 thing (albeit not for long)... looking for every option I can get KWIM?

ETA: The original thought about the rear facing in the center was because I've heard that the centre radian install on the hump can be tricky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC