Graco SmartSeat release

Kat_Momof3

How do we feel about the top allowable harness height for RFing (12 inches)? Keep in mind that this will also keep the headrest low. Do we think many kids would make it to 40 lbs. (or even 35)?

well, on the one hand, rf slots need to be at/below the shoulders... so that's fine for getting a kid about as far as you could in a Scenera... so I think most will make it to 30-35lbs... but no, I don't anticipate many (except the leggiest) kids making it to the 40lb max rf limit.

But doesn't it have an infant insert? Was the bottom measurement done with or without the insert? Looked like without to me, but I could be wrong.

good point, but I'm thinking of preemies... parents of multiples who could really get into the idea of trying to save by buying a seat that claims to be "the only seat you'll need"

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I can now confirm most of the details and measurements I posted back in my November preview http://carseatblog.com/7984/graco-signature-smart-seat-all-in-one-preview/ .

The top harness slot setting is right around 17.5" tall, perhaps a quarter inch more depending how you measure. The top seated torso height is about 23" in the 3rd harness position, the highest allowed for rear-facing.

I'll have some photos soon with tape measures and a 5-year old, but sadly he's too big for RF.

Some videos are posted here- http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=154455

It has potential. A lot of potential. I'm excited to see one. The manual is online.

http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/PD163434A.pdf

Some things that popped out.

You have to have the headrest in the bottom three (of six) positions for rear facing. The height for rear facing is 1" from the headrest, NOT the shell, but still. The top slots for rear facing then are just shy of 12". Forward facing you must use positions four through six. However, in booster mode, three through six are acceptable.

In booster mode, the base is not used, and the seat must sit 100% on the car's seat.

The harness doesn't have to be removed for booster mode, but it must be stored.

There is a 10 year expiration from DOM, not December of the 10th year. This means get ready to see 2020 and 2021 expiration dates starting for seats made next month (the Frontier 85, the Nautilus backless, and now this).

This seat is NOT FAA approved in any mode.

The harness covers must come off at 40 pounds.

The infant padding can be used rear facing only. No restriction on harness height like on the Nautilus.

There are multiple reclines for rear facing, though forward facing over 40 pounds you must use position 1.

In the manual Graco states that children should rear face as long as possible, and harness to the maximum.

All in all, I'm highly impressed. I can't wait to get my hands on one. For $300 for potentially the only seat you'd need from birth to seatbelt (unless you fly at all), it's not bad at all. It looks super easy to adjust, install, and use.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yes, from compressed seat padding up to 1" from the top of the head restraint shell in the higest allowed position for RF (3rd lowest setting).

bigteamug

hmmmm - I could see a lot of people using this for carpool, etc - is there any info on how wide it is, or guesses about puzzling? Offhand, it looks too wide for 3 across in a smaller car unless it puzzles really well.

I'm also a bit leery of any seat that has to lock onto a base, esp for bigger kids - there were so many recalls of infant seats for issues with that. It looks like a great idea, I'm just taking a "wait and see" position on it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
so many recalls of infant seats for issues with that.

There were 3 car seats in the last 10 years recalled for coming off the base during crash testing (2 of which only happened with crash forces which are greater than 99% of crashes), 2 were recalled because of incorrect assembly, and one was recalled because it don't line up correctly with the base and would either not hook in at all or would not unhook at all. None of these recalls were attached to the death or injury of a child.

Comparatively, when you taking into consideration the number of infant seats out there, you are looking at a very, very small percentage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC