Graco Smartseat Q&A

Athena

So in booster mode, it's a 23# seat with no means of securing it to the vehicle? It cannot be tethered, and doesn't use the base where LATCH is housed. That isn't much less than the Nauti in booster mode.

:eek: What do you mean about the nautilus?

ADS

Athena

The Nauti's shipped weight is 25# if I recall correctly.

To *ME* that's a lot of weight to load behind a child.

Yes, I think I saw 26 pounds. But I had not realized it could not be attached using latch in booster mode because then it's only holding the seat. If that's true, I guess we'll get another seat to booster when my 4 yo outgrows the harness. (hopefully not for a couple years) Also, I thought lots of people continue to tether past 48 pounds, especially with a booster or in Canada where they require it by law, but admittedly I don't know a lot about boosters yet because we are not to that stage yet. Sorry for the digression .. just had no idea what your nauti comment meant.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Athena said:
Yes, I think I saw 26 pounds. But I had not realized it could not be attached using latch in booster mode because then it's only holding the seat. If that's true, I guess we'll get another seat to booster when my 4 yo outgrows the harness. (hopefully not for a couple years) Also, I thought lots of people continue to tether past 48 pounds, especially with a booster or in Canada where they require it by law, but admittedly I don't know a lot about boosters yet because we are not to that stage yet. Sorry for the digression .. just had no idea what your nauti comment meant.

My understanding is that with this seat, LATCH is on the base, which must be removed for booster use. It's not a matter of exceeding LATCH limits.

Kat_Momof3

I'm finding I am pleasantly surprised by this seat... it's really quite good at it's job and stuff... still probably wouldn't opt for using it with a newborn (the coccoro or even the Graco Comfortsport would be better for that... lightweight enough to occasionally remove in bad weather/for napping child)

I just still don't like that you have to use the base forward facing (it'd sit so nice and low without it).. and no latch for such a heavy booster.

Other than that, a very good seat... I think I'd rate it about 9 out of 10 stars... (it redeems itself a bit with that contoured headrest for the slanted vehicle ones)

I hope you'll be using Jonathon as a tester in booster mode, too... because that's the real question... how does it do in booster mode? (I've no doubt it's fine as a harnessed seat... that is never the question with a combo/all-in-one seat)

Pixels

The Nautilus can be lower anchored, top tethered, or full-LATCHed in booster mode. If it was LATCHed, there would be no additional weight on the child.

The Smartseat can't be lower anchored in booster mode (since lower anchors are on the base, which is not used in booster mode). I don't know if it can be top tethered or not. Darren?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So in booster mode, it's a 23# seat with no means of securing it to the vehicle? It cannot be tethered, and doesn't use the base where LATCH is housed. That isn't much less than the Nauti in booster mode.

Correct.

How wide is it at its widest point? (I know it won't fit in my three across, but I can dream :eek: )

The seat is about 19.5" at the cupholder, similar to the Frontier 85. It doesn't narrow as much at the back as the Frontier, though, making it a little wider at the seatbelt path and a little harder to buckle if the spacing of the seatbelt is narrow.

The base is over 17" wide, up to 18" where the locking indicators protrude.

TerisBoys

The Nautilus can be lower anchored, top tethered, or full-LATCHed in booster mode. If it was LATCHed, there would be no additional weight on the child.

The Smartseat can't be lower anchored in booster mode (since lower anchors are on the base, which is not used in booster mode). I don't know if it can be top tethered or not. Darren?

Darren's blog entry says "Can’t use top tether in booster mode." under other comments.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A couple more videos, the first on harness mode and the second on booster mode:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na7PCZswdRk"]YouTube - smartseatharness.MOV[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQl5YbGVD4"]YouTube - gracosmartseatbooster.MOV[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VHInFTzMQ"]YouTube - smartseatrecline.MOV[/ame]

Please note that the harness comfort pads in the first video should not be used on children above 40 pounds, despite the label that seems to indicate 65 pounds. These videos are for demonstration only and may not be indicative of correct use in a moving vehicle.

SignCuer

The seat looks like it's pushing his head forward! Way forward! Especially in the booster mode.

The belt-fit in booster mode seems good... However, it may be hard for kids to buckle themselves up.

Great videos!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The seat looks like it's pushing his head forward! Way forward! Especially in the booster mode.

The belt-fit in booster mode seems good... However, it may be hard for kids to buckle themselves up.

Great videos!

The head rest does push the head forward a little, as you can see. In that the lowest harness setting is 8.5" or so, it isn't ideal for newborns for a couple reasons. On the plus side, the head restraint design may allow it to mesh well with some fixed head restraints that can be a problem with other child seats, such as the Nautilus.

*holds breath for the rear-facing part of the demonstration* ;)

I don't have a rear-facer at my disposal, but if all goes well, brookity will be supplying a model tomorrow;-) Hopefully I'll have a photo or video early this week for rear-facing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is probably a dumb question, but there IS a top tether, right? I don't see it in any photos of the seat and you didn't use it in the installation, so I'm starting to wonder. (Sorry if this was addressed and I missed it.)

That headrest really does protrude a lot, doesn't it? That will make for a great fit in some vehicles but it did look uncomfortable for your DS. Although he claimed not to mind. :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Wow, if that's seriously how far it pushes a FFers head forward, I hate it! That looks horribly uncomfortable. How is a kid expected to ride like that?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There is a tether! I try to keep the videos as short as possible so I didn't show it. You'll see it in a photo, though.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Don't know if this has been asked, but wandering if this seat can be used with out the base, or does it need the base in all installations??

The base MUST be used with the 5-point harness in either orientation. It MUST NOT be used in booster mode.

Also, how is the belt fit in booster mode (in general)?

I would say on first use that the fit is decent/acceptable, but certainly not great, at least on my 5yo. Granted, his low-riding pants and untucked shirt don't help in the video for proper assessment. It doesn't fit him as well as the Frontier 85, for example. I will defer to Kecia for her review of booster fit, as she has some other models for direct comparison and I have not had the time to have him actually ride in the SmartSeat as a booster outside of this video.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC