Getting a top tether anchor installed- I thought it was free?

PrairieGirl

I had a top tether anchor installed in my 1989 Chev, and was shocked at my $100 bill. I assumed it was free of charge. And they only put one in- on the passenger side. I wish I knew of the charge before they did that. I could have bought another True Fit for an extra $50 or so, and put it in Rear facing instead. (DS is 31lbs) It will be time for a new car soon anyways.

I just wanted to check on here- does that seem right that they charged me for that?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

What model is it? Are you in the US?

According to Technical Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004a dated Apr 12, 2005, it should be free in the US. With very few exclusions, GM will retrofit one tether anchor in 1989-2002 vehicles that didn't come with factory installed TAs. They will reimburse the dealer and there should be no charge to you.

crunchierthanthou

It's a 1989 Chevrolet Corsica. I'm in Canada.

oh, of course. as this is the Canadian forum and all... :eek:

The 2005 version in the 2009 LATCH manual says Canadian dealers are not authorized to use that bulletin. The 2000 version in the 2007 manual only said they were free without listing Canadian restrictions. :(

Last edited:

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Did they just put the anchor bolt into the pre-drilled hole or did they actually have to find a safe location, drill the hole, then put the anchor in?

I understand installation in the pre-drilled hole shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and should be free. The other one, if there is no pre-drilled hole, would take more time and would usually cost the same price as would you have to pay a mechanic to work on your car.

Sorry about the $100 bill though :(

QuassEE

In Canada they can charge you, but often won't. Ask them to itemize the bill--it should be .25 labour (about $20-$25) and $10-15 parts. If it was more than .25 labour, tell them their mechanics are morons? :)

-Nicole.

dogmelissa

I've heard of some places charging - a Honda dealership for example - but never that much! I would see if you can get a written quote from other dealerships for the same thing to see what they would charge, so that you have something to go back to the original place with - the most I've ever heard was $25.

Good luck,
Melissa

AllieCanada

I forget the exact amount but Mazda charged me $100+ to have the two tether anchors installed in my 2000 MPV

Last edited:

PurpleCat

I had similar issues getting anchors installed on my 99 corolla. I thought it was free too so I called around to find out. I even went so far to call Toyota Canada! The guy said they don't have a formal policy for free anchor installs and that it's up to the specific dealership to to a courtesy install. I've heard a few dealerships do up to 2 free installs. Dodge and Jeep come to mind right away.

My regular mechanic shop installed 3 for me at no charge.... ONLY because the manager working that day doesn't believe they should charge. :) 1 was in a predrilled hole (middle spot) and the other 2 aren't even in the proper spots. They're way at the back pretty much lined up with the part you buckle into.

hipmaman

All my anchors in Hondas have been free labour over the 4-5 yrs that I needed more installed. I did pay $10-15 for each anchor. And these are just a quick install of the bolt into the pre-drilled holes.

PrairieGirl

I just wanted to update you on my situation. Yes, it did take over a month to clear up. But after calling the GM customer service line, and them contacting our car dealership, I did get reimbursed for the full amount on my bill.

So yes, on GM vehicles 1989 and newer in Canada, one tether anchor can be installed for free.

Thanks for all your posts. I'm glad I pushed the issue and got them all to look at their policies again.

dogmelissa

Sorry to revive an old post, but we have a '94 Grand Am and earlier this week DH stopped at a dealership to ask about this (and other things). He was told it would be $150 to install one top tether in our car. Obviously he wasn't going to book it, especially since we have the RN and won't need the top tether for quite some time. But if you have anything in writing from GM about this, I'd love to get a copy. Otherwise can you advise me on who you talked to and how you got reimbursed? (Feel free to PM me)

Thanks,
Melissa

Lea_Ontario

We came across this with both a '98 Cavalier and a '99 Grand Am.

I think one dealership was willing to do one for free, the other none.
And neither would do more than one - and we required three in both cars.

I think we averaged $70 or $75 each for the anchors.

dogmelissa

Ok, so different question: does anyone have the part number and/or information on where the top tether anchor goes in the '94 Grand Am? I don't remember reading in the manual about holes being pre-drilled but I will check again. Is this something that we can do ourselves (in this specific vehicle)?

ETA: Kashi - did you end up getting all 3? Was it $75 each or total per vehicle?

Thanks,
Melissa

dd9736

I have asked the Chev, Ford, and Dodge dealerships in my town in the last 2 years, Chev was a 96 cavalier, predrilled holes, they wanted $80/piece, ford was an 88 taurus, predrilled holes in metal, but had to drill a little through back shelf material, they wanted $120 for 2 (both of those I did myself, total cost for 4 anchors in 2 vehicles, $40) then I went to dodge, and they installed 3 in my 97 grand caravan for free (well 2, because there was one there already, that I didn't see before, and they counted it against Dodges 3 anchors free thing.)

Kristy00

I've had anchors put in a Dodge as well. :) I recently tried to get 3rd row anchors in my Montana - the GM dealership in town was willing to do them for free, but would not put them in my model of van since it wasn't Transport Canada approved for additional anchors. (Since my model comes with storage bins in the back, it not allowed. We took the bins out the day we bought it so it is no different than any other van...ugh)

PrairieGirl

But if you have anything in writing from GM about this, I'd love to get a copy. Otherwise can you advise me on who you talked to and how you got reimbursed? (Feel free to PM me)

Thanks,
Melissa

Hi there, I don't have anything in writing from GM but I'll tell you what happened. I sent my husband in with the car to our local dealer to get a top tether installed assuming it would be free. He ended up paying close to $100 ($55 for labour, 31.63 for parts, 7.15 "misc" plus GST). After checking on this forum I contacted GM through their "contact us" link on their website https://contactus.gm.ca/english/email_us.aspx to see if it should have been free or not. Soon I got a call from GM customer service from "Steve" (I think that was his name.) He looked into it, asked me which dealership I went to, and said that yes one should be installed free for cars that are 1989 or newer. My car had just made the cutoff. I think the dealership was saying that it didn't apply to a car that old. Anyways the customer service guy from GM contacted our dealership himself and eventually we got a cheque in the mail from our dealership for the full amount that we had paid. I must say, "Steve" from GM was very helpful. I looked and looked for his number but I don't have it anymore.
Hope that helps you out!

dogmelissa

It does. DH is going to call soon to see if we can get something in writing *before* paying for it. :)

Thanks!! (and'll I'll let you know how it goes)

Melissa

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC