Flying with a 3 year old?

mlohry

A friend of mine is flying to Canada this fall with her 3.5 and 5.5 year old. They both normally ride harnessed in GNs. I think she thought she was not going to bring any seats for them on the plane, but I told her, she for sure needs one for the 3 yr old. The 5 year old is probably ok. She is going to start booster training her in the other car. She thinks family in Canada have seats they can use while there. She is going to check to make sure, but I told her, they are different there. I offered up my Scenera if she wants it for the 3 year old. He's little, 30 lbs now and not very tall. Opinions??

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, while they may be different, they're not THAT different. They have the Nautilus, for instance. She should ask what they have available, and go from there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. Since he weighs 30 lbs., probably he needs SOMETHING. But, she could always rent a CARES (or borrow one.) A rental can be less than $20 and it's soooo much easier than a big car seat to carry, so if she has a reliable car seat on the other end, that's something I'd consider. (That's what my 3 year old is using on the plane in a couple of weeks, and she weighs significantly more, but not quite 40.)

KaiLing

A 3 year old's behavior should come into the picture, too: the CARES harness is somewhat out-wittable, a Nauti less so. If you're flying with two kids the last thing you need is to have to hold a screaming toddler down into his seat while the plane's landing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That totally depends on the 3 year old. Would I have flown without a seat with my second when she was 3? nope. In fact I'm a bit fearful because I'm about to do it when she's 5! But, my third child, or my oldest when she was 3? Absolutely. I don't know the kid's character in question, but if the mom thinks he'll stay seated, he probably will. :twocents:

mlohry

I will tell her to take into account his personality. I think he is really easy going, but maybe not for a 2 hour flight. G ma will be there to help too, so that could make a difference. I think if she goes the take a seat on the plane route, I will just let her use out Scenera. Sister will not be in a seat on the plane, so he might sit better if he knows she will have to sit nice too. No question in my mind that she will behave.

rxmommy

Will the Nauti even fit on an airplane seat? I love the seat, we have 2, but it's a beast! I wouldn't want to be carrying it through an airport.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Will the Nauti even fit on an airplane seat? I love the seat, we have 2, but it's a beast! I wouldn't want to be carrying it through an airport.

Sure. Just put the armrest up. I'd use something with wheels to get it through the airport.

Wendy

InternationalMama

Isn't the official recommendation to use a seat on the plane until 40 lbs? If you're happy lending her your Scenera and he fits that sounds like a good idea. She can always use something else on the ground if they have something she likes better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC