favorite seats for preemie

TeenaMarie

Most likely this next week I will be going with my grandma to pick out a seat for my sister's daughter who will be born at 34 weeks(10 days from now).
The price isn't really an objective right now; I want a list of seats to show my sister and see which ones she thinks she'll like, without being able to play with them(on bedrest at the hospital until she has the baby).
So the main things as of right now are that it has to fit her preemie(who is said to be about 4lbs and 14inchs on Tuesday), easy to install, and on the lighter side(she found the t-tario plus 10lb nephew too heavy).
They have a 2005 Ford Explorer and a Scion TC; main car is the Explorer.
She wanted a convertible originally but since baby will be her sooner than expected but she's open to any seats that will fit preemies.

She was set on the Urbini Omni travel system if she had to get an infant seat, but we can't find it in store anywhere right now and its out of stock online.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Dorel Comfy Carry Elite Plus (if there are still any of those on the market? If not, the redesigned successor) or Cybex Aton if you need more compact front to back.

Safety 1st OnBoard Air or Deluxe (with the Deluxe base- or the Eddie Bauer SureFit is the same thing. Get the ones with the nice preemie cushions) if they want long-lasting

Graco SnugRide 35 Classic Connect is almost as long-lasting. But, it would be the same to carry as the T-Tario...

J-max

CPST Instructor
I put 4 lb preemies in keyfit 30s earlier this week and I was happily surprised how well they fit. And the seat went into 2010 and 2014 explorers.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How did I not list the keyfit? That's a great one.

Sometimes you have to take out the head cushion for small ones but that is the only possible issue.

jwilliams

Is the only reason she is giving up on the convertible because she thinks she can't find one that will fit a preemie well?

If so, the Coccoro RFs from 3-33lb and I think would fit a tiny baby beautifully. The Maxi Cosi Pria with Tiny Fit would also work (rated from 4-40lb RF and a much longer lasting seat than the Coccoro).

*posted using the car-seat.org app*

TeenaMarie

I don't think it's because of fit, she just doesn't feel comfortable with switching between everytime and it's not summer like she thought it would be when she had her.

she still wants to do a convertible soon since she plans on babywearing, so she'll use the seat for a couple months and then get a convertible and they'll use the infant seat in the scion.

TeenaMarie

The keyfit was one of my first thoughts, I've seen photos of preemies in them, our neighbors baby was a 32 week premie at 4lb some ounces when they adopted him and he fit very well then.

I can never remember. Cozy Carry or something? My KMart has both the rear and front adjust versions.

Light N Comfy Elite is what it's called here. The only difference I noticed between it and the Comfy Carry Elite is the way that the seat latches onto the base. It clips over a bar rather that latching over those two "teeth", if that makes any sense at all.

Great fit on very small infants.

TeenaMarie

How is the install of the light n comfy?
My sisters going to try and get to the tech at the hospital to learn to install whatever they get before baby comes home (now their saying baby should be here by Monday).
I know how to install the keyfit, and know it's a pretty easy install and feel confident if she doesn't get to the tech before baby comes home she'd still be able to install with just reading the manual.

I've never had an issue installing it's clone, the Comfy Carry Elite. Sometimes it needs a noodle, but generally I've been able to get rock-solid installs with fairly minimal effort. YEMV.

The KeyFit is also an excellent choice. I would go with it before the Light N Comfy simply for it's ease of use and higher quality fabrics.

henrietta

I've had two preemies and one 37 weeker...and I'd go with the Chicco Keyfit for ease of use and fit. If price is an issue, I'd look at the Comfy Carry Elite.

I currently have a Cocorro for my daughter who was born at 37 weeks and 6 lbs. She's almost 5 months old now. I really do like the seat, but it's not always a really easy install and I miss having the canopy of an infant seat and the ability to buckle her up inside the house and then just snap the seat in. Getting out and going is tiring for a preemie--moving them from one thing to another--so, I think that it would be great to have an infant seat.

The Keyfit is really my favorite...easy install, easy to buckle, great fit, etc.

TeenaMarie

Going to do a keyfit. Baby was born last night by c-section and she's tiny (3lbs 11oz) so she'll be hanging out in the hospital for a while.
Thank you all.

TeenaMarie

Could someone clarify for me so I know I'm not giving my sister untrue information.
I read that it's important with preemies to rf to as close to their 4th due date as possible, not their 4th birthday since their bones are that much behind a full term baby. Is this correct?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Could someone clarify for me so I know I'm not giving my sister untrue information.
I read that it's important with preemies to rf to as close to their 4th due date as possible, not their 4th birthday since their bones are that much behind a full term baby. Is this correct?

This is what I have heard as well.

Congratulations to your sister -- I hope her baby is doing well. Health and happiness to them both!

henrietta

You are talking about their "true" age vs their "corrected" age?
(http://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...preemie/Pages/Corrected-Age-For-Preemies.aspx)
(http://www.marchofdimes.com/baby/the-premature-infant-how-old-is-my-baby.aspx#)

I've heard that, too, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that exactly proves it. Somehow, I doubt anyone's ever really studied it for the purposes of carseats and safety...esp since it's a 2-3 month difference for most premature children. My kids certainly lagged behind in some areas--the oldest are now 8 & 5 years old. So, bone density/maturity certainly wouldn't surprise me if it lagged, too. Maybe someone else here really knows for sure? Or has links to studies?

At this point, I'd stick to the same thing I tell everyone else--minimum of 2 years rear-facing (and I would use their "corrected" age that takes their real due date into consideration), preferably as close to 3 or even 4 as they can with the convertible seat. Chances are, she will be smaller for longer than average, but then again, you never know! ;) It's a long, long ways off to even worry about it. Right now, she's really concerned about everything else that's going on, like why is this 33 weeker so tiny...and what challenges will she have in the next week or two...

Best wishes to your sister!! Tell her to hang in there from another preemie mom!

gagenivy

Sorry if this is a repeat...I didn't read all responses. Before investing in a seat, double check with the NICU. My daughter's NICU wouldn't allow discharge if they didn't have a bucket. The nurses would not check fit in a convertible.

soph's mom

Sorry if this is a repeat...I didn't read all responses. Before investing in a seat, double check with the NICU. My daughter's NICU wouldn't allow discharge if they didn't have a bucket. The nurses would not check fit in a convertible.
Can they legally do that? All program seats are convertibles aren't they? Sounds like a recipe for cheap used seats...

Eta- I know there are program boosters- just meant for newbies...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC