favorite seats for preemie

katymyers

Sorry if this is a repeat...I didn't read all responses. Before investing in a seat, double check with the NICU. My daughter's NICU wouldn't allow discharge if they didn't have a bucket. The nurses would not check fit in a convertible.
Yeah, that sounds really odd. Our only requirement to do car seat challenges were that the infant fit correctly and met the minimum weight requirement. If an infant fits, I don't see how they can refuse to let you use a convertible and force you to buy an infant seat.

ADS

soph's mom

Considering the cocorro has one of the lowest weight ratings at 3 lbs I'd like to see them challenge it. I will likely have another preemie and she will come home in that seat. I would call a police dept if they tried to tell me otherwise.

Now I can see them asking for the convertible to be brought inside for a car seat test and then reinstalled...

TeenaMarie

Seriously? My sister thought at first that she wouldn't be able to use a convertible from birth but then I showed her infants in convertibles and she was set on a convertible so she didn't look at infant seats but for the dad's car. Now she feels more comfortable with an infant seat.
I know I've heard of hospitals making people take the seat in and show baby in the seat with convertibles.

And I dread hearing the nurses checked fit or gave advice, my brother-in-law already thinks I'm crazy when my sister told him I said the after market cover on our friends seat wasn't okay. When my step - sister had her baby in November at this hospital the nurse tried to say she HAD to be able to fit two fingers between baby's collarbone and strap. Great hospital, but that made me and my step - sister cring.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Sorry if this is a repeat...I didn't read all responses. Before investing in a seat, double check with the NICU. My daughter's NICU wouldn't allow discharge if they didn't have a bucket. The nurses would not check fit in a convertible.

Having had the "luck" to observe a few car seat challenges recently, I could see there being a loophole here. They won't discharge unless they're confident baby can tolerate the carseat, so it's not so much about which carseat you have, but whether baby's healthy enough for it. An argument could be made they don't have the equipment to simulate a car install with a convertible (and perhaps even a safety argument that they don't want to leave a baby in a seat not intended to be unsecured) so they won't do the challenge in one.

Since it's about passing the challenge and not the seat per se, they could choose not to discharge unless a "suitable" seat was provided. Here they just perch the buckets on top of the bassinets; I have no idea HOW they could do a test in a convertible. :shrug-shoulders:

krasota

Having had the "luck" to observe a few car seat challenges recently, I could see there being a loophole here. They won't discharge unless they're confident baby can tolerate the carseat, so it's not so much about which carseat you have, but whether baby's healthy enough for it. An argument could be made they don't have the equipment to simulate a car install with a convertible (and perhaps even a safety argument that they don't want to leave a baby in a seat not intended to be unsecured) so they won't do the challenge in one, and since it's about passing the challenge and not the seat per se, they could choose not to discharge unless a "suitable" seat was provided. Here they just perch the buckets on top of the bassinets; I have no idea how they could do a test in a convertible. :shrugs-shoulders:

I saw challenges with buckets and convertibles when DD was in the NICU. The nurses used rolled blankets and towels to achieve a stable 45° angle (no rocking in the bucket, either. Always on the floor, never elevated. Each facility will obviously do things differently.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I saw challenges with buckets and convertibles when DD was in the NICU. The nurses used rolled blankets and towels to achieve a stable 45° angle (no rocking in the bucket, either. Always on the floor, never elevated. Each facility will obviously do things differently.

That's good to read! I don't suspect this facility would be so flexible (but I'd be glad to be wrong!)

gagenivy

Sorry I didn't clarify-it wasn't about the challenge but about how baby fit. They had their own seats for challenges. It was just how our NICU was:/ I think it was really for the parents that didn't know car seat safety, but it was still a requirement.

soph's mom

Sorry I didn't clarify-it wasn't about the challenge but about how baby fit. They had their own seats for challenges. It was just how our NICU was:/ I think it was really for the parents that didn't know car seat safety, but it was still a requirement.

Ouch, I almost think that's worse. All seats fit children differently so just bc a baby passed in their seat doesn't mean they'd pass in what they're leaving in :-/

I wish someone could teach them some best practices...

MamanMag

Ouch, I almost think that's worse. All seats fit children differently so just bc a baby passed in their seat doesn't mean they'd pass in what they're leaving in :-/

I wish someone could teach them some best practices...

Yes, amazing!!! Completely defies the purpose of the challenge test!! When I delivered my twins, they had to pass the test in the CR we bought (keyfits). They monitored them for one hour... The keyfits fit them so well!! Great seats!!! Good luck to your sister!! Her baby will grow so fast, she won't believe it!!

Mag

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Car-Seat.Org

TeenaMarie

Was just with my sister while she did care and saw them doing a test.
Not sure if they use the child's seat or ones they have here (hospital has comfy carrys and that's what baby was testing in) but they use blankets on top of a cart.

henrietta

I tend to think if any NICU ever had that "rule" (no convertible seats), it was likely an older rule and it was because until the Cocorro (not that long ago), there weren't *any* convertible seats that were rated down to 4 pounds or less. Generally, the car seat challenge is given to preemies, although there certainly are medically fragile babies that are full term and/or full size who need to have it before discharge. To my knowledge, no NICU has a test bench to "install" a car seat on--it's just propped at the correct angle and baby is strapped in while hooked up to the apnea/brady monitors and/or O2 sat monitor. Obviously, any parent can fight the hospital to take their baby home if they do have a proper seat for the child and the child is medically stable enough to go home, but most parents either don't know that or aren't up to the task right then.

cookie123

We've had several parents bring convertible seats for the car seat test. They haven't batted an eye. Pulmonary diagnostics does our car seat tests. Every one has passed that I know of. That said, I've put some babies in their convertible seats to check fit. Most recently it was 4 lb twins in the MA70. Not even close. But nothing about the seat not fitting ever seems to be mentioned. It irks me. A while back a small preemie in a 3 point seat would usually recommended to get another seat but nothing ever seems to be said anymore.

henrietta

Considering the cocorro has one of the lowest weight ratings at 3 lbs I'd like to see them challenge it. I will likely have another preemie and she will come home in that seat. I would call a police dept if they tried to tell me otherwise.

Now I can see them asking for the convertible to be brought inside for a car seat test and then reinstalled...

I doubt any nurse will challenge you on the Cocorro when she is shown the manual, the seat, and sees baby properly buckled up in it. I had a Fisher Price Stay in View w/my first preemie (we couldn't afford the Chicco or Britax back then), and although it started at 5 lbs, it fit correctly. But the lack of a chest clip totally freaked our nurse out. Once I gave her the instructions to read and she checked it all out, she was totally fine. :)

With this last baby (#3), she came home in a Cocorro, but didn't have any NICU time. I just told the nurses that the seat was a convertible and that I wasn't uninstalling it to bring it in and show it to them. Since the hospital requires a nurse to check and make sure you have a car seat before leaving, they walked to the car with us and made sure I buckled her in "right" (and then I educated the two of them on the actual proper way to buckle in a baby! ;))

gagenivy

Was just with my sister while she did care and saw them doing a test. Not sure if they use the child's seat or ones they have here (hospital has comfy carrys and that's what baby was testing in) but they use blankets on top of a cart.
Blankets on top of a cart? Eek! I know a baby couldn't knock it off but the thought of a babe up high leaves me unsettled.

gagenivy

I tend to think if any NICU ever had that "rule" (no convertible seats), it was likely an older rule and it was because until the Cocorro (not that long ago), there weren't *any* convertible seats that were rated down to 4 pounds or less. Generally, the car seat challenge is given to preemies, although there certainly are medically fragile babies that are full term and/or full size who need to have it before discharge. To my knowledge, no NICU has a test bench to "install" a car seat on--it's just propped at the correct angle and baby is strapped in while hooked up to the apnea/brady monitors and/or O2 sat monitor. Obviously, any parent can fight the hospital to take their baby home if they do have a proper seat for the child and the child is medically stable enough to go home, but most parents either don't know that or aren't up to the task right then.
I can only speak for the NICU my daughter was in. She is 3 1/2-wouldn't the Cocorro have been out then?

henrietta

I can only speak for the NICU my daughter was in. She is 3 1/2-wouldn't the Cocorro have been out then?

Yes, but old habits die hard. ;) LOL

I've heard some seriously ridiculous breastfeeding advice regarding my preemies, even from NICU nurses. They strongly encouraged pumping, but many were not knowledgeable enough to know that most preemies can actually be taught to breastfeed, even when they are very tiny...and that it is not all the "extra work" they were originally taught. Obviously, there are some babies who it's extra tough, but most CAN get it with the right help. That was 8.5 years ago...and some nurses from other hospitals that were working at ours had been helping tiny ones breastfeed for YEARS. Old habits die hard.

TeenaMarie

Anyone have any experience with the evenflo secure ride 35? It comes in the eurotrek travel system. My other sister had a eurotrek travel system (same/similar stroller, different car seat) from 2008 with jordyn, she was about average height and lower weight(19inches, 5 lbs 15oz) just barely full term and she fit well.
We saw it at burlington and when I measured it, I got 5inches with the infant padding and the harness at its lowest. I know it may not fit in the scion since the handle has to be down, but brother-in-law says he just wants a convertible in a few months and Im almost certain it will fit in the explorer. It seems like a really easy latch install(click click push latch base) and It was really easy to adjust while I was playing with it, figure the lower height would be good since she's a preemie (Olivia was 3lbs 11oz 16inches when she was born, she was 3lbs 8oz yesterday).
My sister had commented that she loved the full coverage canopy on the stroller from jordyn's stroller and the car seat also has a full coverage canopy.

mommyfrog

Since you're all so knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. Baby was born Saturday at 4lbs, 13.5oz and 18 inches long. My sister already bought him a Shuttle 35 since my other babies were all big, I wasn't worried about low straps. The Shuttle says birth to 35 pounds and 19-something inches, I think. The lowest slots are 7.5 inches with all pads on. Is it likely he will fit in the Shuttle in 2-4 weeks when he gets to go home? Is there a cheap option I should look at just in case.

MotoMommaNH

Since you're all so knowledgeable, maybe you can help me too. Baby was born Saturday at 4lbs, 13.5oz and 18 inches long. My sister already bought him a Shuttle 35 since my other babies were all big, I wasn't worried about low straps. The Shuttle says birth to 35 pounds and 19-something inches, I think. The lowest slots are 7.5 inches with all pads on. Is it likely he will fit in the Shuttle in 2-4 weeks when he gets to go home? Is there a cheap option I should look at just in case.

eek those sound like awfully high lowest slots for a preemie. The Comfy Carry Elite Plus is the cheapest option I can think of that would fit loads better. (5" lowest harness slots) I Think there's some on the Amazon sale right now too.

http://carseatblog.com/10346/dorel-safety-1st-comfy-carry-elite-plus-infant-carseat-review/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC