Dog crash tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarro

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWnRyL2RInQ&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube - Trasporto cani in auto in sicurezza[/ame]!

I thought this was pretty interesting, though it's unfortunately in Italian. Anyone care to translate?

Basically, it shows different ways for restraining (or not) pets in vehicles and how they fare in crash test situations (stuffed dogs only, of course!)

ADS

firemomof3

wow, kinda scary. Though some of the restraints I've seen have pretty cheezy hardware so it doesn't surprise me that it broke.

skylinphoto

Fasinating. Could you imagine the weight of a real dog in those tests? Yikes.

I also have taken note of flimsy hardware on dog restraints. Ive even seen the clips made with plastic.

Pixels

I wish they had done the PetBuckle.

DH doesn't speak Italian, but he can usually get at least the gist of it. I'll ask him to give his best shot at translating later.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I have seen parts of this video before, from adac. That "dog" I think is sort of the equivalent of a child dummy. I believe it is weighted the same, etc. It makes the fact that you need to NOT put the crate on the seat, or use a suction cup type fence, relevent.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I wish they had done the PetBuckle.

DH doesn't speak Italian, but he can usually get at least the gist of it. I'll ask him to give his best shot at translating later.

Yes, I didn't bother asking dh, whether he understood, because I have seen the other videos that go with this type of video. The child in arms, child unrestrained, etc, videos were in the same set of videos I had seen with the dog, and there is also a cat...

icnee

so what would be the best way to trans port a dog. I use a hrness On her but I all ways wondered how in the world it would hold up in a crash Now I really dont think it will.

Pixels

so what would be the best way to trans port a dog. I use a hrness On her but I all ways wondered how in the world it would hold up in a crash Now I really dont think it will.

It depends on the type of harness. The PetBuckle is supposed to be crash-tested and actually hold. Looking at it, it's all heavy-duty parts. It's real seatbelt webbing, and the same type of connectors as used on carseats. I'm more concerned about my dog getting ejected out of the harness than the harness failing.

For a smaller dog, the crate on the floor behind the front seat or in the cargo area behind the back seats (preferably not directly behind a passenger) looks like it holds up pretty well.

ETA: Crossposted with Wendy. In the PetBuckle crash tests, well, it's not pretty for the dog. It's not very pleasant to think about, but restraining your pet is not about keeping your dog alive in a severe crash. It's about keeping your dog from being a projectile and hurting others in the vehicle, and in the case of a less severe crash, having the (possibly hurt, scared) animal restrained can keep the dog from running into traffic or attacking first responders.

susanx4

wow thanks for posting this! so it looks like a crate is the best bet ( either on the floor or in the luggage area...

as for the pet buckle can you buy them at a pet store? mil need something for her dog, a crate will not fit in her focus

ca2003

For a smaller dog, the crate on the floor behind the front seat or in the cargo area behind the back seats (preferably not directly behind a passenger) looks like it holds up pretty well.

I am assuming this would be the best option for a cat as well, in the cat carry thing on the floor behind the front seat? We may be getting a cat soon so I want to know the best way to transport it.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I am assuming this would be the best option for a cat as well, in the cat carry thing on the floor behind the front seat? We may be getting a cat soon so I want to know the best way to transport it.

It's a good option, beware though that many cats get very car sick that way. My cat gets violently ill (and it is not pretty, nor does it smell nice on the drive :thumbsdown:). The only possible way to drive her without her getting sick is harnessed on my lap. Not so great in an accident no, but at least she's only 6 pounds...

cookie123

You mean a wire crate? I haven't seen a crash test of one of those. My dd uses one in the back of her Vibe and it worries me. She does use a couple of bungee cords to tie it down.

gsdguenter

A few months ago I posted that we only use crates for our dogs (German Shepherds) and a bunch of people said they were dangerous and the pet buckle was safest. I'm confused :confused:

We have to use the crates anyway for other reasons, dog related, but this does interest me.

For example, we (people on my dog team) put our crates in the truck part of our SUV or station wagons, or minivans and bungee cord them down. I've had at one time three 500s in my old explorer at once, and those things weren't going anywhere!

In fact, I was in an accident (pre-kids) and was hit on the passenger side at about 40 mph. the force ripped out the cigarette try holder thingy in the front and the crates made some noise moving around, but nothing happened to them. The dogs were spooked, but okay, and the car was deemed totaled by my insurance company.

Ninetales

I'm confused too. We have cats, and it's not a huge thing because they only ever ride in the car if they are going to the vet, or we're moving to a new place, but they have carriers they ride in. Is that not safe?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I wouldn't want to be hit by pieces of a carrier. If you're going to transport cats in a carrier, I'd keep them low and behind things as much as possible, same as other projectiles.

(We use a soft sided carrier, and put it on the floor, behind the seat.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC