Designer 22 Canada vs USA (re: TC notice)

Keeanh

Is there a fundamental difference between Canadian & US Designer 22s that would make the Transport Canada notice irrelevant in the US? Or are they the same? If they're the same, then shouldn't US consumers have the same concerns as Canadians with regard to this seat?

My fingers always start to twitch when I see a pre-03/2009 Designer 22 mentioned on the board, and then I see that it's a US seat and I'm not sure if I should say anything. I realize that "technically" they wouldn't be subject because they're not Canadian seats. But if the base & locking mechanism are the same, then the seats would have the same problem, right?

This is the notice I'm referring to:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-2009c02-menu-844.htm

ADS

Cath3114

I have a 01/09 US seat. I had no clue about this. My DD is too big for it now and I hate it, but it does help to know, for me at least. The base that came with mine is not adjustable, though. I did buy an additional base that is adjustable. I wonder if either one would be included.

Either way, it won't be used again unless there's some desperate emergency and a friend needs it.

Keeanh

I have a 01/09 US seat. I had no clue about this. My DD is too big for it now and I hate it, but it does help to know, for me at least. The base that came with mine is not adjustable, though. I did buy an additional base that is adjustable. I wonder if either one would be included.

Either way, it won't be used again unless there's some desperate emergency and a friend needs it.

If someone does need it, just make sure they know how to do a proper baseless install.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think it applied to both adjustable and not-adjustable bases. I've noticed the change in base came with the addition of two hard plastic 'humps' at the corners of the front of the base (the end closest to the front of the car). I don't know if this coincides with the dates of the consumer information notice or not? But there is that very visible, noticeable difference in base. It seems identical otherwise.

Cath3114

Pixelated said:
I think it applied to both adjustable and not-adjustable bases. I've noticed the change in base came with the addition of two hard plastic 'humps' at the corners of the front of the base (the end closest to the front of the car). I don't know if this coincides with the dates of the consumer information notice or not? But there is that very visible, noticeable difference in base. It seems identical otherwise.

It may be awhile before I have access to this seat, since it's in my parents' garages. But I'll look to see what you're talking about.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As far as I know there are not significant differences. Luckily I don't see many Designer 22s (they're available but only at 2 stores, and there are other cheap seats that seem far more popular) and the ones I do see tend to be post-redesign.

Keeanh

As far as I know there are not significant differences. Luckily I don't see many Designer 22s (they're available but only at 2 stores, and there are other cheap seats that seem far more popular) and the ones I do see tend to be post-redesign.

Interesting. I guess because we don't have as many inexpensive options up here, I see a LOT of Designer 22s around.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Interesting. I guess because we don't have as many inexpensive options up here, I see a LOT of Designer 22s around.

Me too. I cringe every time I see one, knowing chances are very good it's going to be pre-2009.

Does anyone know for sure if those two corner humps I mentioned are the change in the re-design? I don't have any here with me to take a picture of to compare.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC