CPST's - how much time?

jjordan

I know that the answers to this probably vary quite a bit, but I'd like to get some sense for what is typical. I'm interested in becoming a CPST. There's actually a class about 35 minutes from me in May, but before I talk to dh about doing it (and working out logistics, etc) I'd like to have as much info as I can, knowing what questions he'll probably ask. :)

So, I'm wondering, for those of you who are CPST's, what sorts of commitments are involved? Is it mainly that you do occasional seat check events, or do people call you for help privately, or what? Is it busier in certain seasons/times of year? How much time is involved (after the course, I know how long that is)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've spent about 15 hours this month working privately in people's cars. I've spent probably another three hours answering emails and private questions. I've spent far too much time here answering questions. :) hehehe

Some months I do nothing. Others it's quite a bit. I suspect about 20 hours a month will be consistent for me. I just added my name to the state's inspection list, and as the new parent classes tell parents to go to that site I've had a TON of referrals from it.

Wendy

Pixels

Massachusetts asks that techs work two events a year. That's it. Events can be anywhere from a couple of hours to a full day. As a volunteer, you can work all of the hours or some of them.

Here in Massachusetts, there aren't many check events during the winter months. Summer is definitely busier than winter.

munchkin

I do 2 public checks a month most months (sometimes I miss due to work). One is 2 hours and the other is 4 hours. I also have a private check or 2 every couple months. I usually hand out my information at the public checks and when parents are ready for the next seat they contact me about information, so I probably spend a couple hours a month emailing.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
As of this year I have not done any Safe Kids checks. I've checked 4 or 5 seats privately. Last fall I helped to organize a check with my moms' group. I do not forsee going to any checks in the near or forseeable future. The checks are alll on weekdays here and I am a SAHM and I homeschool. So, I don't go. I would love it if they would have some in the evenings or on weekends. Then, I could get a sitter and go.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
We have maybe one check per year in my immediate vicinity, (maybe) and probably 5-6 checks within the state. (But I'm in one of those big, midwest-size states, not those tiny northeast mini-states :p, so some of those checks might be 5-6+ hours away) I've only done one public check in the 2 years since beng certified (was pregnant and then had a newborm during that time, so traveling to attend checks wasn't feasible), I mostly do help for friends and family, and acquaintnces I meet, etc.

oxeye

I volunteer at our local seat checks once a month and do occasional private checks via word of mouth. The time commitment for me is maybe 6 hours a month. I kind of wish I did more!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I do generally 1 event a month (that's all we have normal months) and then sometimes people find me through here and I get together w/ them at my tech friend's house and do things there. I've had 1 phone call from a parent in the past 4 yrs and it was just a talk on the phone. So I only spend 5-8 hrs a month being a CPST.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Every 2 or 3 months I do a 4 hour check event (which ends up being almost 6 with setup/take down, not including the drive each way) with an organization I work with (SK not active here.) About 2-3 times a year I give a half hour to an hour presentation at a local baby store. I do about 3-10 private checks a month, depending on the month. I answer a few e-mails with questions each month. I spend a lot of time here.

I'm probably more involved than many techs in my area. They mostly just do paid hours doing it at work. (Most are CHP.) There are some that go above and beyond but not a lot around here.

You don't HAVE to be that involved. The minimum to stay certified is to do ONE four-hour check event OR a few hours of community teaching (presentations to groups, etc.) in two years, plus 6 hours of CEUs and 5 check-offs with an instructor to demonstrate that you still know how to check different types of seats and fill out paperwork properly. It's as much or as little as you have time for in your life. Some months you may be too busy to do anything. Some months you may be able to give 40 hours in one month. It depends on your own schedule and availability and comfort level with different activities. :)

TiaxMarie

I've never been called or asked to do a private seat check. My state has several monthly inspection stations and I try to do as many as I can. They are four hours each and I usually do 2-3 per month.

jjordan

I can't figure out how to "thank" those of you who responded since my second post in this thread... but anyway, thanks! Your input is very much appreciated!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC