Coccoro RF install tips?

janine2010

We are waiting for our Coccoro to be delivered (got a good price so couldn't resist) and I know many have had issues with getting a secure RF install.

I'd really appreciate it if those who have BTDT can give me some tips on how to get a secure install with some level of ease? This will be in the middle seat. I think I recall people saying they preferred the seat belt install.

Thanks!!!!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm not a tech, but I'll give this a shot, since I do own a Coccoro and I had some difficulty with it.

This is going to sound strange, but for me -- it was just practice. I had a very difficult time getting the seat secure in the third row; the second row was easier but by then I had learned the tricks. I use the seatbelt, and it helps me to run the belt through the belt path (which is different, more like an infant seat) and then lean into the seat and pull the slack out. At that point I wrap the belt behind the seat; my install is loose but not super-loose. I end up using my hips and hands to push the Coccoro into the seat as much as I can, and work out the slack -- through the left side of the belt path, through the right side, the buckle, and the lockoff. Test for tightness. Check again.

My buckles are slightly forward of bight, and if I don't work out every last smidge of slack, I can move it more than an inch. So sometimes I think it's tight, check, and it's not... and I have to snug out a few more centimeters of belt.

It took me many tries to get the technique down, because it's very different. I had more difficultly figuring this one out than the Radian (although I didn't really have difficulty with the Radian.) I was also trying to convince it to go into a three-across that it doesn't really work in, lol. But once I figured out HOW to do it, it was easy to replicate... I can (and have) even do it with a child asleep in the seat. I just needed to set aside some dedicated time to get familiar with the seat, then I was good to go. And, the shoulder belt behind really helps stabilize the whole seat.

Hope that helps.

janine2010

Thank you! Anyone else? I've heard people mention noodles (what is that?) and wrapping the seat belt around the back a few times. I'd love to hear different ideas!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thank you! Anyone else? I've heard people mention noodles (what is that?) and wrapping the seat belt around the back a few times. I'd love to hear different ideas!

It sounds like the directions PP gave include routing the belt around the back. You don't HAVE to do that, but I feel like it helps with stability, plus it's a nice safety feature. If you do wrap the belt around the back, the blue belt guide counts as a lockoff, so you don't need to use the removable one. (And you SHOULDN'T lock the belt at the retractor if you route around the back.)

If the seat feels tippy you can use a noodle or call Combi for a free wedge.

Remember to check for tightness AT THE BELTPATH. A lot of people check at the top of the seat. If you do that, you're going to think it's not installed correctly.

The other day my DH checked my installation my "gently nudging" the top of the Coccoro. And you know what? It moved all over the place. Yet the seat NEVER loosens for me through daily use. So check at the belt path, and don't assume that it will loosen otherwise.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It sounds like the directions PP gave include routing the belt around the back. You don't HAVE to do that, but I feel like it helps with stability, plus it's a nice safety feature. If you do wrap the belt around the back, the blue belt guide counts as a lockoff, so you don't need to use the removable one. (And you SHOULDN'T lock the belt at the retractor if you route around the back.)

The belt guide in the back is a guide, not a lockoff. You may yet still need to use the lockoff rear facing, and instructions to do so are in the manual.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The belt guide in the back is a guide, not a lockoff. You may yet still need to use the lockoff rear facing, and instructions to do so are in the manual.

Wendy

The Combi rep has stated that the guide does count as a lockoff, and that future versions of the manual will reflect that.

If you want to go by the word of the manual (and I get that some people would be uncomfortable doing otherwise), then yes, the removable lockoff is required.

I get a much better install WITHOUT the removable lockoff (using the belt guide instead), and for me, that's more important.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Combi rep has stated that the guide does count as a lockoff, and that future versions of the manual will reflect that.

Ok, good to know!

If you want to go by the word of the manual (and I get that some people would be uncomfortable doing otherwise), then yes, the removable lockoff is required.

No, it's not. The word of the manual is, if you cannot get the lap belt to stay tight then you need the lockoff. Otherwise just tighten the belt like normal and use the belt guides. There's no mention of pulling the belt all the way out at all. :( I'm not happy with their manual, I have to say.

I get a much better install WITHOUT the removable lockoff (using the belt guide instead), and for me, that's more important.

I haven't tried the lockoff. I can get a solid round the back install without it. I have not been able to get a non around the back install tight, though.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No, it's not. The word of the manual is, if you cannot get the lap belt to stay tight then you need the lockoff. Otherwise just tighten the belt like normal and use the belt guides. There's no mention of pulling the belt all the way out at all. :( I'm not happy with their manual, I have to say.

There's a part of the manual that says you have to use the removable lock-off with a seatbelt that has sliding latchplates, even if the belt locks at the retractor. I think that's another thing that is supposed to be edited in the next round, since it's not necessary.

You probably know this, but to clarify for anyone else, DO NOT lock the belt at the retractor if you route the belt around the back of the seat. That will likely cause some weird tipping issues.

I haven't tried the lockoff. I can get a solid round the back install without it. I have not been able to get a non around the back install tight, though.

Wendy

I almost always route around the back, and I haven't used the removable lockoff since I found out I don't have to. I have only installed with the belt NOT around the back for quick, temporary situations (airport shuttle), and got it in tight using the retractor.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's a part of the manual that says you have to use the removable lock-off with a seatbelt that has sliding latchplates, even if the belt locks at the retractor. I think that's another thing that is supposed to be edited in the next round, since it's not necessary.

Ok, now I see that. They missed about four opportunities to say that, and only put it in one spot on page 58. Makes me wonder how important it is.

You probably know this, but to clarify for anyone else, DO NOT lock the belt at the retractor if you route the belt around the back of the seat. That will likely cause some weird tipping issues.

Is that a Combi thing, or just a tipping thing, like the Snugride? Mine isn't tipping yet. I'm not comfortable not locking the belt (apparently I need to go put a lockoff on my locked belt, though, before we go back out).

Combi's closed, I tried calling to ask. Sheesh. I want to work there. hehe

So wait, when do you NOT use the lockoff? If you have lightweight locking latchplates? Or just trust the belt guides as lockoffs on the back and not use the additional lockoff?

Did their rough draft of the manual get published, or did someone actually try to install the seat using these directions before they put it out? Seriously, one of the worst manuals out there.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think there's any actual prohibition on locking the belt at the retractor when you route it around the back. It just seems like it would pull the seat up. But if you have it that way and it's not causing problems, it's probably ok.

Per the Combi rep, you don't need to use the removable lock-off at all as long as there's some way to lock the belt. So if your belt locks at the retractor, that's fine. Locking latchplate is fine, obviously. Using the belt guide on the back of the seat is fine.

I use the belt guide only. I don't use the removable lockoff or lock at the retractor. The seat is in super-tight and I've never had a problem with it loosening because of that. It seems like the belt would just slide right through, but once the rest of the belt curves around the seat, it stays tight. I believe that's how seats in Europe are installed--just wrap around the back, no locking.

I agree there are a lot of discrepancies in the manual.

I'll run all this by Vera again to make sure I'm not giving incorrect info, but I'm pretty sure I've double-checked all this with her a dozen times and have it right :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's true, I have a Euro infant seat that MUST be installed with a 3 point belt wrapped around the back, and doesn't require locking or a locking clip. My understanding is that it a) uses up enough of the belt to have it function like it does for an adult, basically, and lock in a crash and b) because of the routing, the seat stays in position during that split second time it takes to lock.

kidzndogz

I was wondering about locking the belt when it's routed around the back too. We have one for my mom's car and when I put it in, it gets a great install with the belt routed, but the belt is short enough that it uses all the slack and will end up switching the retractor with slight movement.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If you lock the belt when routing behind the seat it is nearly impossible to get the seat uninstalled w/o unbuckling and holding slack from the retractor while unwrapping it. I locked it on accident yesterday and needed to take seat, baby and all out.. I messed that up! FYI the center belt in an explorer isn't as long as the outboard belts. :eek: When I use the combi locking clip I undo the belt as I would with a normal lc and put the lock on and then buckle it tight. I have found it is the only way to get a tight install using it.

I guess I am a lucky one. I can get the seat in rock solid w/ all four methods: combi locking clip w/ euro belt path, euro belt path w/o locking clip, seat belt install resembling infant seat install, and LATCH...

Btw: it really is a shame that the seat will never get used FF by us. It is unbearably cute that way!

Carrie_R

I was wondering about locking the belt when it's routed around the back too. We have one for my mom's car and when I put it in, it gets a great install with the belt routed, but the belt is short enough that it uses all the slack and will end up switching the retractor with slight movement.

I can definitely confirm that locking the belt when in Euro routing makes it quite prone to being jiggled, tightening a click, and then another, and another, and you suddenly have 5* of recline, a loose install, and a crabby baby. LOL.

The only way I've been able to NOT lock the belt is to actually tip the seat up (so with no recline) and just loosely pop the belt around the back, then tip it back down, buckle it, and do all tightening as I normally would. Then I can slide the belt into the lockoff and finish tightening.

I too, based on posts I've read around here, lock the belt only via the blue belt guide/lockoff on the seat back. I can't get the removable lockoff in my 3-across, and as I said above locking the belt is bad news. I'm not too concerned, though, since my install uses up about 98% of the belt. It's not going particularly far.

janine2010

Wow, thanks for all the information!

I have to admit I'm a little confused by all the terminology:eek:, but maybe once I give it a shot, it'll make more sense. From what I'm gathering so far, belt guide around the back without locking it in? And no need for the lock off provided? I did read the manual to prepare, but seems like the manual isn't so greata guide.

On a non-install (and slightly shallow) note, I got the licorice color but didn't realize the infant insert was the tan piece (i.e. it is all black). The seats are tan-and I'm wondering if I should have pick up tan to blend? But then I remember people saying the lighter colors stain more? I do love the seat (preinstall at least ;)), and DD has hopped in a few times excitedly.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, thanks for all the information!

I have to admit I'm a little confused by all the terminology:eek:, but maybe once I give it a shot, it'll make more sense. From what I'm gathering so far, belt guide around the back without locking it in? And no need for the lock off provided? I did read the manual to prepare, but seems like the manual isn't so greata guide.

On a non-install (and slightly shallow) note, I got the licorice color but didn't realize the infant insert was the tan piece (i.e. it is all black). The seats are tan-and I'm wondering if I should have pick up tan to blend? But then I remember people saying the lighter colors stain more? I do love the seat (preinstall at least ;)), and DD has hopped in a few times excitedly.

When you wrap the belt around the back, you put the belt through the blue belt guide on the back of the seat, but do not need to lock the belt or use the removable lockoff. I think it'll make sense when you try it.

As for the infant insert, you can order the cover pieces (cover, infant insert, harness pads) separately from Combi. So if you want a tan insert, you can order one. They're not very expensive, either. I think $10 plus shipping.

However, in my humble opinion, if you have a Coccoro, it's more fun to play with the colors than to match the car's interior. The lime green insert would look awesome with the black cover. Just sayin' :D

janine2010

When you wrap the belt around the back, you put the belt through the blue belt guide on the back of the seat, but do not need to lock the belt or use the removable lockoff. I think it'll make sense when you try it.

As for the infant insert, you can order the cover pieces (cover, infant insert, harness pads) separately from Combi. So if you want a tan insert, you can order one. They're not very expensive, either. I think $10 plus shipping.

However, in my humble opinion, if you have a Coccoro, it's more fun to play with the colors than to match the car's interior. The lime green insert would look awesome with the black cover. Just sayin' :D

Thanks, going to try to install this weekend (grandma's car)..it is hard to imagine not locking. Actually we do not use the infant insert (which I agree is what makes the colors so fun!), so it's just the background (which is only black..I had envisioned the 2 tone look). Ah well!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks, going to try to install this weekend (grandma's car)..it is hard to imagine not locking. Actually we do not use the infant insert (which I agree is what makes the colors so fun!), so it's just the background (which is only black..I had envisioned the 2 tone look). Ah well!

Oh, I see! Well, you could order the harness covers in another color if you wanted. Or, you know, be sensible and not worry about it. :p

Carrie_R

I know there's someone on here who would trade her tan/brown for your licorice, lol.

Just a note, there are two belt guides in back. You only run it through one, it's the one opposite where the belt comes out. It will make sense w hen you see it, but to say it another way, the belt goes across the "foot" of the seat, and then comes around the back low, at lap-belt level. It then curves higher (as the shoulder belt rises) and that second blue belt guide/lockoff is the one you use. Don't use both, I tried it and then felt like a doofus when I realized why I was having trouble.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC