Clek Foonf/Fllo vs. Diono Rainier

moomoo536

The KeyFit and a FF RXT typically play very nicely together. That was my configuration (with a second KeyFit on the other side) in a Honda Insight.

Does the RF RXT not fit next to the Keyfit? My son is currently RFing and I'd like to keep him this way, possibly until he's ready for marriage. :p

ADS

jwilliams

Does the RF RXT not fit next to the Keyfit? My son is currently RFing and I'd like to keep him this way, possibly until he's ready for marriage. [emoji14]
Sorry, I missed that he would be 3ish. I think they might fit together in your car with both RF - it looks like you have a decent amount of room. And, yes, somewhere between college and marriage is a reasonable time to flip him FF ;)

Dillipop

Is there anyone on this board that might have any guesses as to which seats might currently fail/pass the new side impact testing standards that were proposed in January 2014 by NHTSA? I remembered it mentioning protection for the full body, which is why I'm wondering if the Rainier will need any further adjustments since the walls have only gotten deeper towards the head but not by the abdomen. One alternative that MIGHT work is to put my infant in the outboard position (Chicco Keyfit) and keep my son in the RXT in the center...assuming that this configuration works in my vehicle, to buy me some extra time before getting a new seat that will hopefully comply with the standard.

Both kids would be rearfacing? Right? Technically, if you decide to put one in the center, you'd put the least protected kid in the center, if your seats allow it. Since they are both rearfacing and the infant is more fragile, the older child would be outboard and the infant in the center. Once the older child is forward facing, since rearfacing is more protective, you'd have the ffing child in the center with the infant outboard.

moomoo536

Both kids would be rearfacing? Right? Technically, if you decide to put one in the center, you'd put the least protected kid in the center, if your seats allow it. Since they are both rearfacing and the infant is more fragile, the older child would be outboard and the infant in the center. Once the older child is forward facing, since rearfacing is more protective, you'd have the ffing child in the center with the infant outboard.

Thanks. I've heard of that guideline before but wasn't sure who would take precedence when both kids are RFing. I wasn't sure if the infant would automatically be more protected being in an infant seat vs. the toddler, who'd be in more of an open seat and sitting more upright by the vehicle's arm rest.

I guess if I am to throw Britax into the mix to keep my son RFing for as long as possible: Advocate or NextFit?

It's a shame I don't have some spares of these seats to sit in myself and maybe have my husband swing away at with a bat.
:)

Dillipop

Thanks. I've heard of that guideline before but wasn't sure who would take precedence when both kids are RFing. I wasn't sure if the infant would automatically be more protected being in an infant seat vs. the toddler, who'd be in more of an open seat and sitting more upright by the vehicle's arm rest. I guess if I am to throw Britax into the mix to keep my son RFing for as long as possible: Advocate or NextFit? It's a shame I don't have some spares of these seats to sit in myself and maybe have my husband swing away at with a bat. :)

The toddler/preschooler is more developed. I wouldn't necessarily think that an infant seat is more protective. Using a rearfacing seat for a child that fits, is super safe.

Cnidaria

Rear-facing Radian XTSL (predecessor of the RXT) in the middle and Keyfit outboard is what we used when our younger was in the infant seat. The seats fit better in our car (2000 Subaru Outback) that way. I was comfortable with it. In that car, at least, they fit easily next to each other.

nataliem257

Is there anyone on this board that might have any guesses as to which seats might currently fail/pass the new side impact testing standards that were proposed in January 2014 by NHTSA? I remembered it mentioning protection for the full body, which is why I'm wondering if the Rainier will need any further adjustments since the walls have only gotten deeper towards the head but not by the abdomen.

One alternative that MIGHT work is to put my infant in the outboard position (Chicco Keyfit) and keep my son in the RXT in the center...assuming that this configuration works in my vehicle, to buy me some extra time before getting a new seat that will hopefully comply with the standard.
Some seats have been publicizing that the seat passes as is, but I don't think anything has been released yet. If the youtube videos that came out a while back are of the actual test, the test simulates getting tboned in the side while sitting still. There's forward perpetual motion in most side impact crashes that throws the child out of the protection of headwings, that's why I like the technology that absorbs the crash forces themselves. Not a tech by the way, just my humble opinion :)

annikajo

My son is 2YO, 24lbs, 34" tall. We have him RF in a Clek Foonf in my car and RF in a Britax Pavilion G3-70 in our other car. I have to say, we wish we bought another Clek. The Britax is fine, but for extended RFing, nothing beats the Clek. My son is so much more comfortable in the Clek than he is in the Britax. We've gone on many road trips (6+ hours) with him in both seats and we've decided to only use the Clek from now on. At 2yo and 34" tall, his feet barely touch the back of the seat and I think the recline from the RF base helps with that. In the Britax, the recline isn't as comfortable and he has to sit cross-legged, which is fine, but it's just much easier for him to fall asleep when in the seat. It just lends to much more peaceful car rides for us. All children are different when it comes to which car seats they find comfortable, but I do love that his legs are still straight in the Clek. Additionally, the Clek sits higher up and he's able to see out the window, which I also think lends to a much happier RFing experience for him. I think part of the reason why he fusses so much in the Britax is because he gets bored not being able to see out the window and only seeing the back of the seat. Another thing I love is the crypton fabric of the Clek. My son has thrown up in the Clek a couple of times and the clean up is so easy and there isn't any smell whatsoever. We love our Clek so much!

moomoo536

My son is 2YO, 24lbs, 34" tall. We have him RF in a Clek Foonf in my car and RF in a Britax Pavilion G3-70 in our other car. I have to say, we wish we bought another Clek. The Britax is fine, but for extended RFing, nothing beats the Clek. My son is so much more comfortable in the Clek than he is in the Britax. We've gone on many road trips (6+ hours) with him in both seats and we've decided to only use the Clek from now on. At 2yo and 34" tall, his feet barely touch the back of the seat and I think the recline from the RF base helps with that. In the Britax, the recline isn't as comfortable and he has to sit cross-legged, which is fine, but it's just much easier for him to fall asleep when in the seat. It just lends to much more peaceful car rides for us. All children are different when it comes to which car seats they find comfortable, but I do love that his legs are still straight in the Clek. Additionally, the Clek sits higher up and he's able to see out the window, which I also think lends to a much happier RFing experience for him. I think part of the reason why he fusses so much in the Britax is because he gets bored not being able to see out the window and only seeing the back of the seat. Another thing I love is the crypton fabric of the Clek. My son has thrown up in the Clek a couple of times and the clean up is so easy and there isn't any smell whatsoever. We love our Clek so much!

Thanks for your thoughts! Do Britaxes not recline as much? I've been looking online at the Advocate TightClick. Would love to see one in person but it doesn't seem to be too many retailers carrying that in my area.

My son is still pretty reclined in his RXT as it basically has only 2 angles (i.e., with angle adjuster or without). Coupled with being in the middle of the row and being seated lower on the bench, I can only guess that he doesn't know what he's missing by only having had one type of seat. :) I hope getting a new seat is not going to open Pandora's box in that he might start having a strong preference!

moomoo536

Some seats have been publicizing that the seat passes as is, but I don't think anything has been released yet. If the youtube videos that came out a while back are of the actual test, the test simulates getting tboned in the side while sitting still. There's forward perpetual motion in most side impact crashes that throws the child out of the protection of headwings, that's why I like the technology that absorbs the crash forces themselves. Not a tech by the way, just my humble opinion :)

Thank you. Don't all of these seat manufacturers claim to have technologies to absorb crash forces? Sorry, total newbie over here!

Rm2000hg

It's a shame I don't have some spares of these seats to sit in myself and maybe have my husband swing away at with a bat. :)[/QUOTE]

I wish you posted this a few weeks ago. I just threw away a Britax and a Diono seat and now I wish I tried wacking them from the sides first!!

nataliem257

Thank you. Don't all of these seat manufacturers claim to have technologies to absorb crash forces? Sorry, total newbie over here!
Yes they all claim that, but the Rainier and Advocate have "cushions" that are designed to compress and absorb some of the forces. the advocate has them on the outside of each side of the shell and the Rainier has them built into the shell. I think that's [emoji106] , but that's just me.

Hazelandlucy

Is there anyone on this board that might have any guesses as to which seats might currently fail/pass the new side impact testing standards that were proposed in January 2014 by NHTSA? I remembered it mentioning protection for the full body, which is why I'm wondering if the Rainier will need any further adjustments since the walls have only gotten deeper towards the head but not by the abdomen.

One alternative that MIGHT work is to put my infant in the outboard position (Chicco Keyfit) and keep my son in the RXT in the center...assuming that this configuration works in my vehicle, to buy me some extra time before getting a new seat that will hopefully comply with the standard.

Maxi Cosi told me the Pria 70 and 85 have taken and passed the test (unofficially) and Peg said their convertible does too.

This is an interesting article, although old, about SIP. Rigid latch really does seem to be a major factor.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/CPSUpgrade/CPSSide/PEA/Index.html

also about those youtube videos: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...shXYRPknnuDEQHBK9psmogA&bvm=bv.86475890,d.cWc

melissa621

Maxi Cosi told me the Pria 70 and 85 have taken and passed the test (unofficially) and Peg said their convertible does too.

This is an interesting article, although old, about SIP. Rigid latch really does seem to be a major factor.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/CPSUpgrade/CPSSide/PEA/Index.html

also about those youtube videos: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdph.ca.gov%2FHealthInfo%2Finjviosaf%2FDocuments%2FTechTeleconf7_17_14.pptx&ei=_EDrVIbJA_DasASxv4DACA&usg=AFQjCNHRmbpshXYRPknnuDEQHBK9psmogA&bvm=bv.86475890,d.cWc

Huh. Reading that just made me rethink my decision of putting the RA 50 in my car since the sides are much lower. Hm...I guess I shouldn't think too much into it since he's in the center and will be RF for a couple more years. It kinda does make me want to go out and buy a Foonf though.

thepote

What's in the Google link I can't open it

It's a slideshow... Here is the text from the first two slides with the topics:

>>California Department of Public Health Vehicle Occupant Safety Program
with the support of California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Child Passenger Safety Technician
Technical Webinar
July 17, 2014
SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. www.carseat.org

Stephanie M. Tombrello, LCSW, CPSTI
Kate Quirk, PhD, CPSTI
Topics
SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. www.carseat.org

Training Opportunities: Situated in Los Angeles County
Proposed Regulatory Change: Side-Impact Testing
New Safety Seats: Convertibles/Combination
Most Recent Recall
Research: Are Boosters Effective?<<

moomoo536

Well, I went and tried putting an Advocate -- couldn't get a hold of the ClickTight, which is apparently on back order for a month -- in my car to see how it fit. Holy moly. The seat is GIGANTIC. While it definitely looks like it could keep my son better restrained inside its walls, it looks like I'll definitely be losing the ability for a passenger to sit in the back row. It also has way less leg room than the RXT (even at the maximum recline) and I am not sure if my son is going to protest. With the RXT the way it is, he can hang his legs over the sides if we wants but it looks like it won't be that comfortable for him to do that in the Advocate.

I definitely want him to have as much side impact protection and the longest rear-facing ability, so now I am going and forth between that extreme or striking a compromise and finding a narrower seat with deeper walls but maybe not the same degree of over-the-top side protection than the RXT.

And if I do go with the Advocate, I am not sure that the KeyFit will be able to be installed next to it, which means I then have to ask myself if I feel comfortable with the KeyFit going in an outboard position. And, if not, then I'll have to buy another infant seat and another convertible (to sit in the outboard position) for down the road.

I found a link for seat configurations that are guaranteed to work 3 in a row in an Outback, and I'm assuming that that also means that those seats will be able to be 2 in a row with 1 seat open for a passenger.

ACK. TOO MANY OPTIONS AND DECISIONS TO MAKE.

Hazelandlucy

Well, I went and tried putting an Advocate -- couldn't get a hold of the ClickTight, which is apparently on back order for a month -- in my car to see how it fit. Holy moly. The seat is GIGANTIC. While it definitely looks like it could keep my son better restrained inside its walls, it looks like I'll definitely be losing the ability for a passenger to sit in the back row. It also has way less leg room than the RXT (even at the maximum recline) and I am not sure if my son is going to protest. With the RXT the way it is, he can hang his legs over the sides if we wants but it looks like it won't be that comfortable for him to do that in the Advocate. I definitely want him to have as much side impact protection and the longest rear-facing ability, so now I am going and forth between that extreme or striking a compromise and finding a narrower seat with deeper walls but maybe not the same degree of over-the-top side protection than the RXT. And if I do go with the Advocate, I am not sure that the KeyFit will be able to be installed next to it, which means I then have to ask myself if I feel comfortable with the KeyFit going in an outboard position. And, if not, then I'll have to buy another infant seat and another convertible (to sit in the outboard position) for down the road. I found a link for seat configurations that are guaranteed to work 3 in a row in an Outback, and I'm assuming that that also means that those seats will be able to be 2 in a row with 1 seat open for a passenger. ACK. TOO MANY OPTIONS AND DECISIONS TO MAKE.

The click tight advocate is about 1.5 - 2 inches slimmer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC