Question Chicco Keyfit moving inside base?

MonicaR

I just installed my Chicco Keyfit 30 base in my '04 TSX in the passenger side using LATCH. It's completely snug and level. It barely budges at all when I try to move the base where it latches.

However when I put the car seat in, the seat moves side to side inside the base. It's moving less than an inch, but it still seems insecure to me. Is this normal, or do I have a bum seat (or base)?

Secondly, we are having a bit of a debate about whether it's still necessary to get the seat installation inspected if the base is completely solid and level - my vote is yes. I'd be interested in other opinions!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
That sounds strange to me... do you have a second base you can try? Or can you go to BRU and try their floor model with your carrier and see if it feels the same?

Or, call Chicco - the couple times I've called them they've been very knowledgeable and helpful over the phone.

And, it's always a good idea to have a technician go through a check with you - just in case you missed anything. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A little movement (measured in millimeters or maybe centimeters) is ok. There's a little wiggle room in there. But it shouldn't be massively rocking, or nearly coming out, or even feeling like it might come out. I agree with calling Chicco and asking them if you're not certain.

When I do a check with a parent I do far more than reach in and wiggle the seat. It takes about an hour. I go over the seat -- front, back, sides, handle, base. I go over how to harness and when it's tight enough. When the seat is outgrown. Then for an infant seat I show a LATCH installation, seatbelt installation, and baseless install. For your carseat, the primary errors I see are using LATCH in a non approved position, and then putting the bubble in the middle of the lines, rather than to the more reclined side. Chicco is not clear on that in their manual in the least. But the line closer to the child's feet is the 45 degree angle for a newborn, and the line closer to the front seat is the 40 degree line for an older child.

Your seat is easy enough that if you have it installed properly (feel free to post pictures and we can double check it) that you're probably good. Your seat is one of two where parents will routinely say, "That's it?" after we're done. :)

Wendy

MonicaR

Thank you so much for the responses. I tried our second base and the seat moved just as much. It doesn't seem in danger of coming out of the base, it's just more wiggly, when I thought it would be basically unmoveable once the seat was in the base.

I think I will take it to be inspected just to be on the safe side. Thank you!

E

Esther

Im having the same concerns with my chicco key fit 35. I tried both bases and they are both more wiggly than im comfortable with, the base itself is secure, level and moves very minimally on its own but with the seat clicked in there is quite a bit of play between the base and the seat, the seat does not release from the base so im sure its clicked in properly. Curious about what your ultimate fix was.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC