CARES harness thoughts

lilpenguin

I will be traveling alone w/2 kiddos and we will have seats at our destination. Wondering if I should lug the seat for DD2 (will be 2y 4m) or just use a CARES harness?

ADS

creideamh

If you have appropriate seats at your destination (i.e. you know the history, condition, etc) and your DD fits the CARES requirements, I'd use it.

lilpenguin

If you have appropriate seats at your destination (i.e. you know the history, condition, etc) and your DD fits the CARES requirements, I'd use it.

Actually, seats at our destination will be our regular seats, as DH is driving up to meet us.

Forgot to mention in OP that it would be only for a short 1h flight from LA to San Francisco.

creideamh

Actually, seats at our destination will be our regular seats, as DH is driving up to meet us.

Forgot to mention in OP that it would be only for a short 1h flight from LA to San Francisco.

Oh then yeah, go for it!

I keep waiting for the perfect circumstance like that to use mine... :eek: :cool:

aeormsby

Yes, I'd use the Cares harness. We have one and I always feel safer using it. Our trip next week will be the first time DD will only be using the plane belt, but she's 6.5 now and DS will be using the Cares.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It would depend, to me, on the build of the kid and whether the lap belt fits well. Because if the lap belt doesn't fit well, the CARES isn't much good.

It all depends on build when that happens. Lap belt fit was pretty great on my 3 1/2 year old last summer, who was about 36-37 lbs. at the time. She's built wide and solid. On the same trip the lap belt fit was abysmal on my 45-47 lb. 7 1/2 year old who is built long and lanky.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It would depend, to me, on the build of the kid and whether the lap belt fits well. Because if the lap belt doesn't fit well, the CARES isn't much good.

It all depends on build when that happens. Lap belt fit was pretty great on my 3 1/2 year old last summer, who was about 36-37 lbs. at the time. She's built wide and solid. On the same trip the lap belt fit was abysmal on my 45-47 lb. 7 1/2 year old who is built long and lanky.

I found the cares pretty useless. My son outgrew it by height/weight before the lap belt fit was any good.

I agree with these. Generally the lap belt doesn't fit until about 40 pounds, and that's also the FAA's recommendation for using a carseat. My older daughter had one plane where she didn't fit properly at 53 pounds (long and thin), but generally she fit in all planes but that one by 43 pounds. Some at 38. Until then we traveled with a carseat. The CARES doesn't tighten the lap belt, doesn't have a crotch strap, and tends to pull the lap belt up. So I don't like it if the lap belt doesn't fit. And if the lap belt doesn't fit, kids can go right out from under it.

Also, even a five minute flight has taxiing, take off, and landing. The three most dangerous parts of the flight. Just because it's short doesn't mean you get to skip those parts.

Wendy

AvIsmom

Any way to test before hand if the CARES and lap belt will work on a child. We may be flying to Disney in Nov. with my DD (now 2y 3m 36"32#). Don't know how she will grow between now and then so I am wondering if a CARES would work for her or should we bring her myride (or AOE which she has outgrown RFing) on the plane w. us. Read that Mears, the Disney bus service, doesn't allow car seats and we wont have other transportation available to us to need a car seat. DD2 (now 1 y next week, 20#, 24") will be a different story. I'm thinking I may need to bring the car seat on the plane. Don't think there is anything out there for her to use. :confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's unlikely a 32 pound child will be able to have the lap belt tightened. And a one year old simply needs a seat on board. No way around it. I've brought seats before and left them in the hotel room, only to use again on the plane. No big deal.

Wendy

AvIsmom

Yeah, that is what I guessing but just thought I would check to see if I was missing anything. Thanks!!!

Another question. Any guesses or experience with either a Myride65 or AOE on a plane, which will work better? I know that all planes are different (learned that the hard way when I tried to take my infant seat on a Spirit flight and could not get it to fit :( ) so maybe I will just have to try and get seat measurements and try and "demo" it with my seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC