Question car seat that's lightweight, easy to install (both car and plane)

grumpybear

So I thought I was sold on the Scenera but being that it had no EPP foam, I'm not quite sure anymore.
Thing is, we'll be abroad for 2mos and DD will be using that for the duration of that time (DS will be using a Safe Rider Vest).
Money is not that much of an issue since DD will soon be graduating from her SS1 so we'll need a convertible anyway.
I just want something that's lightweight, easy to install (for plane and car) and comfortable.
Did I just ask for the moon? :p

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most kids don't mind the lack of foam. But if you want foam, I'd look at the Safety 1st Avenue, Safety 1st onSide Air, or if the size isn't too small for the price, the Combi Coccoro.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, the Avenue is a slightly more expensive, taller version of the Scenera. Instead of a rolled towel, you'd want to bring a pyramid of pool noodles taped together though. It also has a more padded cover. The OnSide Air has a Scenera shell, but with air cushions.

However I do think the Coccoro might be a GREAT choice for you if you're willing to spend more money. If you'll be using it for 2 months you will probably appreciate its convenience features. :)

Oh, I should add that for that duration of time I'd probably choose the old-style RSTV. It does hold the child more firmly in place, especially without a tether, and you also say he's tall and skinny-- the new style vest is shorter and while it fits lighter-weight kids better, he's at about the stats where my daughter started fitting the old-style, and I think the longer length would give him more room to grow. :) Plus hey, you'll save a few bucks... You could put that toward a bag for the Coccoro or even a Coccoro Flash frame if you'll be transferring the seat in and out of vehicles a lot. ;)

grumpybear

Thank you!
I am leaning more and more towards the Coccoro.
Is it a fairly easy install? I'm foreseeing that we might be switching cars around a lot while abroad.
Also, is this something that I can carry around in the airport? I like the Flash but would only buy it if absolutely necessary.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's designed to be carried easily with one hand. They also make a carry bag specifically for it if you're into that. I've found it to be easy to install in most vehicles I've tried it in. One nice thing is that it gives you belt-locking options; if you're travelling where most seatbelts don't lock, that will be a big bonus as it comes with an included special locking clip (different from traditional locking clips and very easy to use in comparison; it basically turns any seatbelt into a locking latchplate seatbelt) OR you can simply route the belt around the back, which also functions as a lockoff.

I'd say of the 3 seats we listed for you it's both the easiest to carry and the easiest to install, in my experience. Though the other two are not HARD to install, if you're using daily for 2 months and switching around cars, especially cars that probably have emergency locking only seatbelts, I do agree that the Coccoro has a lot of convenience features you may really appreciate. :)

Here's Combi's Coccoro page, you might check out the video demo (though we have some issues with it, it does showcase some of those convenience features nicely.) http://www.combi-intl.com/Products/Item.aspx?Item=12

I'd say the only downside is that many kids will just about make it to 2 rear-facing in the Coccoro. Your child is pretty small so she might last a little longer but I'd say it's not the only seat you'll ever want for rear-facing. However, you already have a Radian, so at that point you can probably just move her to the Radian, and move your son to a booster (or a combination seat if he's not ready for a booster yet at that point, though he probably will be.)

grumpybear

Yes. It seems that my kids are long but on the lean side.
The Radians we have were the earlier issued ones that have an RF limit of 33lb. DS made it to 3.5 y.o. until we turned him around.
I figure that we'll eventually have to buy higher limit (for RF) seats down the line but I think that the seeming ease of the Coccoro might just be worth the cost.
It might actually be more cost-effective to buy a Radian but I just cannot gamble on the fact that it might not fit RF on some of the vehicles we'll be using.
That actually happened 3yrs ago when DS was around the same age. We brought the Radian and we had to install it FF sometimes. It made me sick doing that. Then of course we're flying to the Philippines where car seat laws are non-existent so there really is not much of a car seat selection over there. So while I could take a gamble on the Cosco Scenera, I might be throwing away more money if it does not install right in some vehicles (I am somewhat challenged on car seat installation and pool noodles would just send me into a fit of panic) and I'd have to buy a car seat locally which won't be useable when we get back since I don't think the ones sold locally are approved for US (they might be European approved, I'm not sure).
So yes. SOLD on the COCCORO. :)
Too bad I was too late on the Gaga deal. :p

Now the only problem is, what color to choose??? :D

grumpybear

Thanks! I saw that. But based on where I live, the shipping might be a killer. I'm going to take advantage of $167 Cocorro from Amazon (free shipping and returns!). :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC