Car Seat Recommendation for a newborn

psygrad

Any recommendations for a lightweight car seat for a newborn? I want it to last until at least 20 lbs. I've heard about the Graco snugride, safeseat and peg perego? how are these?
Thank you for your help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you want an infant seat (base that stays in the car) or a convertible seat (rear to forward facing)? Why 20 pounds? No seat stops at 20 pounds now. Since it's safer to rear face as long as possible, the "little" infant seats are now 22 pounds, and the big ones are 35. Do you want a small infant seat, or a convertible that will last through booster age? What is your budget?

The Safeseat isn't made anymore, it's now the Snugride 35. The Peg I find difficult to install and has a short lifespan for the price. The Snugride 22 is your basic infant seat, easy to install and use (just get a front adjust one).

My top infant seats are the Snugride 35, the Chicco Keyfit, and the Safety 1st Onboard 35. I like them for ease of use and install and longevity.

If you want to look at convertibles, the ones that fit babies from birth are the Graco My Ride, Learning Curve True Fit, Sunshine Kids Radians, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Cosco Scenera, and Combi Coccoro. Most of the others either aren't cost effective or don't actually fit newborns well.

Wendy

psygrad

Thank you for your help. I would like a seat that I can carry in and out of the car (and use in one of those stroller frames). So I guess that leaves out convertible seats or seats that go through booster stage. I'd like to spend under 250.

What does 'front adjust' mean?

I will look into the three you recommend. Thank you again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Front adjust means you tighten the harness from a strap at the front of the seat, rather than behind the baby. It's much easier to use, which means you're more likely to do it, which means they're likely safer.

All of them are under $250.

Wendy

mommycat

FYI, I think I have read that the weight difference between the "little" SnugRide and the SnugRide35 is only 1lb or so. SO while to some it may seem like a big, heavy seat by comparison, the difference isn't as much as one might expect, while the seat will likely last a lot longer. (If I'm way off base, someone please correct me!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC