Britax Marathon

Recently T joined my brood and is riding in a Graco Snugride 35. He only weighs 7 lbs 10 oz. and it is just a peanut. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to carry the infant carrier around and would like to get him into a convertible car seat soon instead. I can get my hands on a Britax Marathon but am wondering when he might be ready for it? I have heard that newborns don't fit well in Britax seats but would like to know if there is an average age that babies are before fitting into them.

Also, I drive a Ford Fusion and am wondering if the seat will fit back to front comfortably. I have to put it on the passenger side because my DH has to scoot the front seat back to far but I am worried that the passenger seat would have to be way too far forward. Has anyone had any luck with installing this seat in a Ford Fusion RF?

Lastly, I know this is a dream but has anyone had success getting two boosters and the Britax Marathon across the backseat of a Ford Fusion? It would be rare that this would happen but I am concerned that if the 7 year old missed the bus, I would have no way to get him to school!

Thanks in advance!

ADS

zactayaus

I'd just continue to use the SR but just leave it in the car rather than taking it in and out. And yeah, MA's don't usually fit little ones unless they happen to have a super long torso.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The earliest most kids fit into a Marathon is about two months. The average is probably closer to six, and the short torso kids are closer to a year.

I agree, just leave the seat in the car, put the handle down, and use it as a convertible seat.

Wendy

I probably should have specified. I currently don't have the base installed for the SR because it is in my DH's car. The car seat just didn't fit securely enough without the base in his car so we put it in there. I am just tired of buckling in the car seat every time whether I take the car seat or not.

So, would it be worth it to get another base? T is currently 20 in. long and the last two were always tall for their age so I wonder if he would be ready for the MA in a few months.

Thanks for all your help!

all together ooky

If you really want to have a convertible in your car and use the infant seat for just your husbands, there are other convertibles that will fit your baby better than a Marathon. Or are you set on the Marathon?

No I am not set on the Marathon. My sister-in-law has one that she purchased and doesn't install right in her car so they purchased another seat instead for their 18 month old daughter. They live in TX and are heading up here for vacation and said I could have it since they cannot return it. So, I technically could go out and purchase a new seat, the marathon was just a really good deal :).

So, now I am thinking about new convertibles that would fit newborns well. I don't want anything too expensive (less than $150 if possible). I am wondering how cosco scenera, Titan Elite or Graco Myride work for a newborn? Which would be the better deal?

Also, how does the Graco Myride work with an older child (like 3 or 4 forward facing)? Do children usually complain about a slant/recline?

Thanks!

msg221

The Graco My Ride fits small babies very well. Right now Babies R Us and Toys R Us had it on sale for $99.99 plus a coupon which will get you an extra 20% off. It's only for the Chadwick pattern though. Here's the thread on that one:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=180753

I have heard that it can be very reclined forward facing so some older kids may not like that. You might want to try it in your car first. IIRC, I think some have said it may work well with boosters since it sits so high on the base, making it easier to buckle the boostered kids in. Again, I'd go to BRU or TRU and try it in your car first.

aghhh...I just realized that T's infant seat is a Snugride 30 :eek:

Has anyone been able to find an extra base for that seat? If so, does it cost around $40-$50 like the SR 35 do?

If that is the case, I definitely want to put my money into a convertible. Does anyone know how the alpha mega elite works with a newborn?

I am not to crazy about the Graco MR only because of the recline forward facing. I may still go try it but would love to know a few other options while I am there.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
aghhh...I just realized that T's infant seat is a Snugride 30 :eek:

Has anyone been able to find an extra base for that seat? If so, does it cost around $40-$50 like the SR 35 do?

If that is the case, I definitely want to put my money into a convertible. Does anyone know how the alpha mega elite works with a newborn?

I am not to crazy about the Graco MR only because of the recline forward facing. I may still go try it but would love to know a few other options while I am there.

the sr35 base is the sr30 base....it is interchangable. The Alpha Omega isn't recommended alot here...it HAS to be at a 45 degree angle with a 40"limit. It is outgrown before most seats for that price. I would stick with a myride65 or some of the other seats recommended here.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The SR30 doesn't have spare bases. You use a 32 or 35 base.

The Alpha Omega Elite doesn't fit newborns at all. The bottom harness height is too high.

Wendy

lovemybabybug

And yeah, the MR puzzles well lots of with boosters. I have a small Pontiac Sunfire and I can fit the Turbo, Evenflo Big Kid and the Harmony on each side with the MR in the middle. The seat has a high base, so the arms rests on the boosters fit right under the MR's shell

Sunshy9

I have a Pontiac G6, and can fit 2 turbos outboard, with either a MA70, MA65, MR65, SR22 and SS1 30(same base as SR 32 and 35) in the middle. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC