britax boulevard 70 vs. frontier 85

Would the boulevard offer better crash protection (head excursion) than the frontier 85 since the new model has the added steel bars on the sides? Theoretically, that is what I tend the think. My dd fits in either seat.... and although the F85 will fit her longer...... I want the best protection available at the moment! Does that make sense?!

ADS

firemomof3

What is the age, weight and height of your daughter? The very best protection is to ride rear facing. So, your safest solution may be to buy a Radian XTSL instead so that she stay rf longer.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I read that the FR85 was already built to the newer standards. Even without the safecell technology, the center of gravity is lowered and the head excursion numbers are improved over the older convertibles and FR80.
And yeah, rearfacing is the best head protection you can buy, so maybe the answer is 'neither' for right now...depending on how old/tall/heavy she is, the Radian may well be a better choice.

My DD is 4y3m, 35lbs, 41"s. She is currently in a marathon FFing, which will expire in 2 months. She has been FF for some timeand I don't think I'll be able to get her turned around at this point. I have a 9 yo in a booster.... and that has seemed to persuade her to stay "big girl" ffing. I have pre-ordered a frontier 85 cow-moo! But, after watching a u-tube video of an engineer explaining the benefits of the new Britax 70 seats..... thinking what I'd really like to do is get a boulevard 70.... for now! and use the f85 for those friends we are hauling along with us on occasion. I'm sold on the steel rods. I love the SR xrsl.... and chose the f85 only because she was no longer rear facing.

Even if the Frontier 85 was built to conform tothe new standards.... it still seems logical to put bets on the steel in other seats... So torn!

I'm not made of money, but will be happy to buy as many seats to keep her in the safest situation as possible. I don't want to buy the F85 just because it can be used a long term booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All seats need to pass the same federal tests. If they do it with plastic, steel, or bubble gum, they've passed the same testing. I wouldn't buy a Boulevard for a child who is forward facing. I'd look at the Frontier (or even a non Britax brand like the Graco Nautilus, Recaro ProSport, or Evenflo Maestro). They've all passed the same testing.

Like Jools said, the Frontier sits lower than the Boulevard, so while it may not have the safecell technology (which may be the Next Best Thing, it may be a fix because Britax convertibles used to not get fantastic head excursion numbs and now they're in line with everyone else, or it may be bubble wrap and marketing) it logically and physically shouldn't have the higher numbers of a tall convertible since it's center of gravity is lower.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Supposely, the new Frontier 85 has improved performance over the original, too. Unfortunately, we have no way to know if any type of features are effective. Safecell or no Safecell, metal or plastic, this side impact technology vs. another one. Some sound good in theory, others only in marketing materials. Making matters worse, the pass/fail testing and research information we have is all but useless for the purpose of determining how safe a product is or allowing us to compare one product to another:-(

In any case, I'd also say go with the Frontier 85 for a 4-year old instead of a Boulevard 70. My 5-year old rides in a Frontier 85 and I have a Marathon 70 to use as well. I have no issues with him in the Marathon 70, I just wouldn't buy one for a 4 or 5 year old only to get maybe a year of use. Of course, you have a younger child who can use the Boulevard 70, so that may change the value end of things for your situation!

Incidentally, just feel how sturdy the shell of the Frontier feels when you get it. It's not flimsy or hollow plastic, it's strong, high density stuff. Sometimes, plastic is actually superior to metal in various applications, it all depends on the type of the plastic, the type of the metal and the quality of the design. If everything else was equal, having a high strength steel is stronger than plastic. Problem is, everything else can't be equal. You either have to use significantly less metal or accept that the product will weigh a lot more. In using that much less metal, it could be that plastic is just as strong or stronger for the intended purpose. As consumers, we just have no way to know without reliable independent crash tests that allow us to compare one model to another.

delgirrrl

Just another thing also, (which whilst not particularly relevant to safety, is relevant to your chid's ongoing happiness at being harnessed), is that the FR looks like a more 'grown up' booster seat and only big kids can use it. The BLVD on the otherhand may be seen by your DD as a baby-seat in years to come. Not that our kids get a vote when it comes to their safety, but if you're planning on keeping her harnessed for a while after she starts school, she may be happier in the Frontier :twocents:

Thank you all sooooo much! Such great info. and ways to look at this decision. Without knowing a tech in person, this blog is the best way to "pick" the brain of someone who is up to date and knowledable with the newest seat info.

Well, sounds like I'll stick with the Frontier 85 I've ordered....! She has seen it and is very excited to be riding in a "big girl" type seat.

Again, thank you all for sharing your love for our children!

Pixels

All seats need to pass the same federal tests. If they do it with plastic, steel, or bubble gum, they've passed the same testing. I wouldn't buy a Boulevard for a child who is forward facing. I'd look at the Frontier (or even a non Britax brand like the Graco Nautilus, Recaro ProSport, or Evenflo Maestro). They've all passed the same testing.

Like Jools said, the Frontier sits lower than the Boulevard, so while it may not have the safecell technology (which may be the Next Best Thing, it may be a fix because Britax convertibles used to not get fantastic head excursion numbs and now they're in line with everyone else, or it may be bubble wrap and marketing) it logically and physically shouldn't have the higher numbers of a tall convertible since it's center of gravity is lower.

Wendy

Being up on a base (or not) doesn't seem to have much effect on head excursion numbers in compliance testing. There are seats that sit up on a base that pass the tethered test without the tether, and there are low-profile seats that don't. While I prefer low-profile seats, it's strictly about ease of getting the child in and out of the seat, not about head excursion.

Is the data on testing results available to the public? Just curious.... I'm not about to review the entire report to make my decision..... but it might be of interest.

Also, it's the marketing and bubblewrap that I'm afraid of.

Pixels

Compliance testing data is available to the public, but it takes nearly two years before we receive it. We have numbers for the old-style Britax convertibles and the Frontier (original, 80 pound version) but not for the Frontier85 or the new Britax convertibles.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is the data on testing results available to the public? Just curious.... I'm not about to review the entire report to make my decision..... but it might be of interest.

Also, it's the marketing and bubblewrap that I'm afraid of.

No, they really don't release their crash test data... though the government does compliance testing usually a couple years after the seats are out (and it's a headache of a chart to peruse, for sure).

2 years!!!!?? Seriously?! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ha! By the time we get that info., the seat will have been grown out of! Thanks!

Sounds like we have to go with the best info.... and say a few extra prayers!!!:shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC