At what point would you consider importing a seat?

bbartlettnfld

Only if as others have said that my child was over 45 lbs and less than 2 yrs old. I also think that as a tech I can't tell parents that they can't use an imported seat if I have one in my car, if I don't medically need one.

BethAnn

ADS

lil.miss32

I bought our Multi-Tech back in February with tax money. Michael was 2.5, 35lbs, and had a super long torso. Plus he's special needs. I knew I wouldn't be able to purchase it at a later date, as I wouldn't have the money.

mrosehughes

Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions!

I certainly don't want an imported seat because it's neat; I really want DS to RF to four, though. When he outgrows his blvd RFing in a few months (by weight) we're going to replace it with something, and that's when I'll need to make the judgement call about how much growing room he's got in the radian. I'd rather spend $300 than $600, but that extra money is worth it to me for the increased safety.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If my child were under 18 months and had outgrown every option available in the US.

AmandaR

We DID import when DD outgrew all US seats we could safely install in our car at 2ys4ms. She's just over 3 now and still RFing, though she's about to be turned after our Disney trip.

mkmama

Unless I win the lottery or there is tons of new research out showing a great benefit after 4 for RF'ing...only if I have a 2 year old (who's closer to 1 than 2) that outgrows all domestic seats RF'ing.

dewdrop222

CPS Technician
Ya we didnt import bc it was "cool". Granted it was like christmas, waiting for it to come. BUT there was no way I was turning Patrick before 3 yrs old, if i didnt import I would have had to turn him at 2.5yrs...around. Just bc he is the size of a 4.5 yr old doesnt mean he should be less safe for his age. Im just lucky i was able to get tooons of extra hours at work lol

mumof2

Ya we didnt import bc it was "cool". Granted it was like christmas, waiting for it to come. BUT there was no way I was turning Patrick before 3 yrs old, if i didnt import I would have had to turn him at 2.5yrs...around. Just bc he is the size of a 4.5 yr old doesnt mean he should be less safe for his age. Im just lucky i was able to get tooons of extra hours at work lol

yup I get what you mean I would have no problems forward facing a 30lb 4 year old but woudl be heistant to forward face a 35lbs 12 month old.

as it is my 3.11 just hit 42lbs if I was living in Australia I would have had to have turned her at 26lbs when she was 19 months . as it was she was in a safe n sound seat (aussie) I then got her a cosco which whe outgrew in hieght at 2 years 7 months and hit the weight limit around 3 years. but we got the radian (which had only just arrived in NZ) at 2 years 7 months and at 32lbs decided to keep her rearfacing and wil do so till she hits 45lbs

Ninetales

I would only import if she were to outgrow all domestic seats before 2. I would have to charge it and it would cost twice as much in the end so it's not an option except in extreme circumstances for me.

She should make it to 2 in her MR even if she stays at her current crazy growth curve. Hopefully longer. If she can't make it to three I'd consider a Radian or a Foonf if they give it a 45lb limit.

Divinormus

I am curious, what would happen if you were in a car accident with an ILLEGAL swedish carseat? Especially if the child was seriously hurt or even killed? Would you be charged with neglect? abuse? or imprisoned due to willful negligence?

It would be a shame to be in an accident, and your child to be hurt and in addition to that you losing your children or being imprisoned because of a technical issue.

That is my main concern, even if the carseat would infact be safer it seems our legal system is always looking for someone to blame.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The penalty for using an illegal carseat is the same as for using no carseat at all. In most states, it's a minor violation. In my state, and many others, there's language in the law that specifies that misuse or non-use is NOT negligence or abuse.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-137.1.html
(3)The violation shall not constitute negligence per se or contributory negligence per se.
(4)The violation shall not be evidence of negligence or contributory negligence.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC