95% 14mnth old needs new seat HELP!!

Gsmommy

Hello all,

I need a new seat for my little man...currently he has a Sunshine Kids Radian xtsl. He HATES his seat he is a very big boy at 14mnth he is just over 30#. I got the xtsl because of the reviews weight limits and safety, I have only had it about 6month and as he has monster sized he does not like I think it's to skinny for him. I drive a gmc Yukon so plenty of room no other passengers or car seats. I was looking at the Britax Advocate 70 and the Gravo smart seat. I was at bbrus and happen to put him in the smart seat he seamed to like it just hung out wanted back in when I took him out, didn't have a chance to do so with the britax. Any suggestion from those who have expieriance with these seats or others to fit a little shrek???

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How tall is your son? Both the Britax and the Smart Seat are pretty short seats. So if he's wearing 18M or 2T shirts already for length you may not have much time in them.

Have you tried the Graco Size4Me/My Size?

Wendy

cm_nghs1

As Wendy suggested, the only other seat that is going to give more growing room is the graco size 4 me, mysize70.

Unless you wait for a foonf.. but I think the size 4 me is still bigger! (but foonf will rear face to 50 lbs.. if it ever comes out!)

HappyHoo

Have you tried the angle adjuster to see if he prefers being more upright? Switching which position he's in so maybe he can see better?

Since he's already 30 lbs at 14 mo and wearing 2T tops, I'd really try to find a way to make the seat you have work. Although if you're willing to spend the money, keep the Radian on hand and get a different seat to use until he outgrows it - and then see if he tolerates the Radian better at that time to keep him RF longer.

Gsmommy

I am going to check out the size4me today. I looked at the foonf there web sight says rear facing till 45# and release early Nov. Our xtsl is till 45# as well, we have tried different positions for it but he still hates it. I think a wider seat will be more comfy for him as we travel a lot. Good idea though to put him back in it later to see if he would tolerate it better! Thank you

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Foonf is delayed again, but now goes to 50 pounds rear facing. So good and bad news, if you're seriously considering it.

Wendy

Gsmommy

Okay so I went and and checked out the size4me and the smart seat as well as a few others.....the size4me seams to be almost as narrow as our xtsl same with the britax seats. The smart seat and the pirg prego (sp) feel wider. He is like a line backer wide hips and shoulders as well as lengthy. Now he was a bit fussy and didn't want to sit in them for more then a sec so I am basing on my hubby using his arm to measure the inside of the seats.....

I can't link because I'm on my phone, but if you go to the homepage and scroll down just a little ways there is the Car Seat Data Spreadsheet, which is designed for just such a situation as you are in. There are categories for convertible (what you want/need right now), combination seats and boosters, all of which give important measurements of all kinds of seats. There may be some on there that you haven't considered yet! :) Best of luck with your little football player ;)

Jan06twinmom

I am going to check out the size4me today. I looked at the foonf there web sight says rear facing till 45# and release early Nov. Our xtsl is till 45# as well, we have tried different positions for it but he still hates it. I think a wider seat will be more comfy for him as we travel a lot. Good idea though to put him back in it later to see if he would tolerate it better! Thank you

When you say you've tried different positions, do you mean different positions in the car (i.e. outboard passenger side, center, outboard driver's side) or do you mean at different angles? If you have only tried one of these, then I would suggest trying the other one. Do you have the angle adjuster?

I'm also wondering if your baby is just going through a stage where he won't really be happy strapped in any car seat in the car. Most kids go through this stage when they have too much exploring and things to do and so they hate being confined for any length of time.

My DS is also a big kid - over the 97th percentile for height and weight at one point - and the Radian was his favorite seat. I was actually surprised how well it fit him even though he is built like a future linebacker. I think my DS has a shorter than average torso and he outgrew the Radian by height and weight at 5y10m.

Melanie

Gsmommy

I have only tried the angle...I do not want to move his seat from the center seat. He has been in the hate the car/seat from day one! I nagged on all the time by family and friends because I drive with my arm reached back as it keeps him happy and quiet 90% of the time (he's tantrums do not end in slumber only more distress and vomit). I actually just planned on living with my arm twisted and a child who hate the car for 2 more years of rear facing, a friend bought the smart seat and loved it (also has a anti car child) so I just happend to put him in it while shopping and he kicked back didn't want out. After seeing him in the wide seat and putting him in car I noticed how skinny our seat is....he also slams his head back repeatedly I try to cushen it with my hand.

AZmamaof2

I also agree to check out the convertible seat stats page for details on widths. I always find those interesting. Maybe a complete air 65 or true fit would be a good fit.

What seat did you have before the radian? and did he like that seat but outgrow it for weight?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I nagged on all the time by family and friends because I drive with my arm reached back as it keeps him happy and quiet 90% of the time (he's tantrums do not end in slumber only more distress and vomit). I actually just planned on living with my arm twisted and a child who hate the car for 2 more years of rear facing, a friend bought the smart seat and loved it (also has a anti car child) so I just happend to put him in it while shopping and he kicked back didn't want out. After seeing him in the wide seat and putting him in car I noticed how skinny our seat is....he also slams his head back repeatedly I try to cushen it with my hand.

Unfortunately, your friends and family are right, you being out of position like this is extremely dangerous to you, and potentially to others on the road because of increased reaction time and increased distraction. :( I will say that my wide-built children had no problem in the Radian; it widens out as you go higher into the wings, and it's shallow, so they didn't feel trapped. Maybe there is something else bothering him? Maybe he's really sensitive to particular fabrics, or the angle he's sitting at, or something else.

Moving him to the side where he could see out a window better, if it stopped him screaming and reduced his distracting you by screaming, might be the safer choice. Yes, center is the safest position BUT if the center is going to be where he's the biggest distraction to you... I might try switching that up as well as trying out different seats (or if trying different seats fails.) Rear-facing and happy outboard is going to be safer than forward-facing (obviously) center or rear-facing center but screaming so hard you worry he might choke on vomit and him not only endangering himself but you and other drivers on the road.

Gsmommy

Thanks for the link...we measured our little man today he is just under 32" we will check out the maxi as well! I know it's not good for me to twist my arm while I drive and there really is no excuse as any mommy I hate to have him cry and with him getting so upset to make himself vomit makes it worse. He seat prior to the xtsl was a safety 1st infant seat that came with travel system he HATED that even more he got a bit less fussy in the xtsl. I had one friend tell me to turn him around at 1 and boasted the she turned hers around at only 9mnth because he was over 20# she was shocked when I told her the law states till 1yr and I wanted him rf as long as I could. I will try him in different seats I checked my car and there is no recommended seat so if not center is driver or passenger side better? Thank you all

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Center is safest by a large margin, but with your factors, if you need to move him outboard, put him where the seat fits best and it is most convenient to you. :) In my area, we have lots of street parking so that means passenger side, so you're not standing out in traffic to load and unload. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC