Question 4yo DD is asking to be turned FF

lilti9er

My newly turned 4 year old (yesterday, happy bday to my baby girl!) asked if she could be turned FF a few wks ago. I told her when she reaches 40# then she can turn around in DHs car b/c he's got the chicco NF in there and I have the clek fllo in mine. And I also made up a point that IF we were to drive one of her friends around then she could have a great face to face conversation with a friend next to her in her temporarily retired britax pinnacle I got last year before I decided to turn her back to RF...she fell for that one LMAO.

My question is at this point, should I keep going with RF or give-in to her and DH? She's averaged 34# since last August. I forgot to mention she overheard DH mention a few wks ago that it'd be easier for him to feed her in the car if she was FF since he sits in the front. I think this is where she got the idea to ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Mary_Ann

My newly turned 4 year old (yesterday, happy bday to my baby girl!) asked if she could be turned FF a few wks ago. I told her when she reaches 40# then she can turn around in DHs car b/c he's got the chicco NF in there and I have the clek fllo in mine. And I also made up a point that IF we were to drive one of her friends around then she could have a great face to face conversation with a friend next to her in her temporarily retired britax pinnacle I got last year before I decided to turn her back to RF...she fell for that one LMAO.

My question is at this point, should I keep going with RF or give-in to her and DH? She's averaged 34# since last August. I forgot to mention she overheard DH mention a few wks ago that it'd be easier for him to feed her in the car if she was FF since he sits in the front. I think this is where she got the idea to ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a tough one! I think I would turn her in your husband's car and keep her RF in your's until you feel ready!

lilti9er

It's a tough one! I think I would turn her in your husband's car and keep her RF in your's until you feel ready!

Maybe it is just me lol. Her 4 yr well check is this Friday so I could wait and see what her official stats are before making my decision. But I know for sure DH would love to have her FF in his car until she has head slump when she falls asleep then he'd complain and want her RF again.

I'm having a brain fart. The chicco NF doesn't have a RF height limit, right? Only 40# weight limit? And the clek fllo is 50# & 43" standing height?

jjordan

There's no study on the benefits of RF past 4 yrs old, right? Or is there?

No study on benefits of RF past 2 years old, as far as I know. Personally my "policy" for my kids is:
1. RF to age 3 even if it means buying a different seat with larger weight/height limits.
2. RF past age 3 if the seat we have accommodates it (but no buying a new seat to extend RF time once they've turned 3).
3. Once they turn 4, they can choose to go to FF if they like.

lilti9er

No study on benefits of RF past 2 years old, as far as I know. Personally my "policy" for my kids is:
1. RF to age 3 even if it means buying a different seat with larger weight/height limits.
2. RF past age 3 if the seat we have accommodates it (but no buying a new seat to extend RF time once they've turned 3).
3. Once they turn 4, they can choose to go to FF if they like.

This is very good to go by. I already failed at step 2 but b/c my in-laws moved in for 7 months and they transported DD to/from school.

Thank you for everyone's responses! It makes me feel better about turning her in DHs car first and see how it goes. I feel like since I have the clek fllo to keep her RF until 50# but that may not happen after all. I'm losing the battle but I'm feeling alright about it. I can always save it for a next baby whenever they decide to come lol.

babyherder

I'd get her stats at the doctor and then decide. If I could rf the 5 year old in my car I would. But I also know she's safe ff.

lilti9er

Update: DD is 39" & 35#. I turned her FF in DHs car with the nextfit at the most allowable recline. We think it's so much easier strapping her in RF than FF lol. I did find it was much easier buckling her in from the front passenger seat since we left her car seat in the middle. She fell asleep in the evening and had major head slump; it just annoys us to see that. Plus, it's so much harder getting her out when she's asleep and FF. Since she's still a lightweight, I may turn her back around to RF just for the convenience lol

seb3244

I would be fine either way but I would probably keep her rear facing in the Fllo to 43inches she will probably reach that before 50 lbs

I need to measure my dd who is rf in a Fllo also she is 3 yrs 7 months and pretty tall. I didn't know there was a height limit of 43 inches ...

lilti9er

I would be fine either way but I would probably keep her rear facing in the Fllo to 43inches she will probably reach that before 50 lbs

I need to measure my dd who is rf in a Fllo also she is 3 yrs 7 months and pretty tall. I didn't know there was a height limit of 43 inches ...

Yes, that's my plan since it's so convenient. I didn't know there was a RF height limit either until after I bought it and then was a bit disappointed that it was 43".

featherhead

Clek's height limit is a little different. When they say 43" they mean including the 43rd inch. So it can be used rear-facing till 43.999"

bnsnyde

I have a Fllo and figured we'd use it RF to the height limit since we bought it and it lasts a long time.
She is still 2.5 and about 40 lbs.

Then I think I'll use the Foonf FF for her and maybe put the baby in the Fllo.

But really up to you.

lilti9er

My brother came home to visit this weekend and it could've been all the driving we did but DD asked to be turned back around so I turned her and she said she was much happier rear-facing. DH had a fit at first with just us being alone but when my brother asked why she's turned back around, he made it sound like it was his idea hahahaha. I'm glad when it comes down to it, he supports my carseat craze lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC