3 in ones?

scuby20

So my DD just FF at age 3.5. We just switched carseats around. She rides in a BLVD in my car and DS is RF'ing at 18 months in a radian xt. When we get to Germany in a few months (we will be living there for 4 years). She will need a seat in whatever car we get my husband. What are your thoughts on a 3 in one for my DD? I could take the air complete that my mom has in her car for DD, but if she keeps it, I won't have to worry about car seats when we come to visit. I am just not sure what is good or bad about the 3 in ones. I guess if part of it is for RF'ing then I wouldn't need that.

ADS

scuby20

Well not looking at any certain ones. I've just been seeing a lot of 3 in ones going on sale. One is the nautilus on sale on black Friday. But not looking at any specific kind since I know nothing about them.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Well the Nautlilus really is a combo seat. So harness to booster.

All others are convertibles, made by Dorel.

The Nautilus, yeah, I would buy that. The Dorels for you? Not really.

scuby20

Or should I spend the money for a radian for daddys car. She won't be in it much but I want her in a harness as long as possible. I don't know when they have to use the car seat in a 3 in one. She is also tall for her age with a long torso.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The nautilus harnesses to 65 lbs and is the second tallest harness on the market. Get a radian, if you plan to RF again, but not for FFing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right. When people say three in ones they're usually referring to rear facing, forward facing, booster. And those are fine for rear facing, ok to meh for forward facing, and dreadful as boosters.

The Nautilus is being marketed as a three in one, which is annoying. It's a harness to booster combination seat. Harness, high back, backless. That would be far more appropriate for a forward facing 3.5 year old than a Dorel 3 in 1. It's VERY likely that your daughter has outgrown the harness on a lot of Dorel 3 in 1s, and the booster is really bad.

If you get a Nautilus, get one here. The ones in Europe max out at 40 pounds in the harness.

Wendy

urchin_grey

Yeah the "3 in 1" terminology is confusing. The Cosco 3-in-1s are rear-facing to forward-facing to booster (but they make horrid boosters so really they are worthless in that mode and for that reason aren't often recommended). They don't last long as a FF seat either, as I understand.

The Nautilus is really a combination seat, meaning a harnessed seat that turns into a belt positioning booster (in this case, either a high back or backless, and that's where the 3-in-1 part comes from). So a completely different type of seat than those above. It would definitely be a good choice though, in your situation.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian's top slots are an inch lower than the Nautilus, which is 1.5" lower than a Frontier 85. So if you want to harness as long as possible, the Radian is not the way to go. There are four seats with higher top slots. And like Judi said, unless you're going to rear face her, don't buy a convertible seat.

Wendy

scuby20

Awesome!! Thanks!! And ya, I'm easily confused lol. I'm not having anymore kids so no need to buy one for RF for her. My son will RF fir a while longer but we can get him a Britax with a higher limit or something.

scuby20

She is ff'ing and I'm good with that. So are the ones that the previous poster mention, turn into boosters? I mean I just don't want to spend money on a radian when I don't need it to RF. Although, we will have to get something for my son to RF in daddys car ad he is close to the weight limit to RF in the blvd. Even though I have an extra blvd lol. Or I'll leave that one w my mom
And take the air one that she has. Since the extra blvd I have will expire in 2 years. I hate that they are costly and expire so quickly

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Boulevards expire at what I consider the norm, six years. If you want to get him something with a higher weight limit with a lower price tag of a Britax, though, look at another Complete Air, Graco My Ride, Evenflo Triumph 65, Sunshine Kids Radians. They're all taller than the Britaxes and have a 40 pound rear facing weight limit.

The Nautilus, Frontier, and ProSport all turn into boosters.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just to add one bit of info: the Evenflo Symphony is a 3-in-1 that actually makes a decent, if short, booster. But yeah, I'd probably go for a combo seat in your situation if you didn't want to RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC