JJ Cole Bundle me crash test???

mykidsmylife

The Bundle Mes were crash tested.. So what are the reasons the are not recomended ? Has anyone seen the crashtest? Someone asked me and I want to know what to tell them. Obviously since they know it was crash tested and passed they think it is safe so I need proof it isnt.

Here is what the website says:

Crash Tested - FMVSS 213

Tests performed on infant car seats with the Bundle Me® installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS 213 requirements.

Thanks so much

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no crash test standards for aftermarket products. I could throw it against the wall and say that it passed FMVSS 213 (which regulates carseats, NOT aftermarket products). There's nothing to pass. If I hand you a test that's a blank piece of paper you can say you sailed through the class with flying colors. If that's a test to operate a bulldozer and then I let you out, would you know how to operate the machine and not kill someone? No because I didn't test you to any standards. You could still be a deadly weapon labeled in a nice "tested" package.

Wendy

mykidsmylife

LOL. So most likely they never even did an ACTUAL crash test as they claim? Has anyone ever contaced them about this??
I just want to be as informed as possible when I take this info to my friend.
Thanks

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can call anyone and they won't tell you HOW they tested or what the exact results were. Except Sunshine Kids. They publish. But even Britax, if you call them with the questions you just asked they won't tell you. Though they DO have to pass FMVSS 213 otherwise they get slapped with more fines than are financially comfortable. Not to mention lawsuits and the cost of recalls.

Wendy

mykidsmylife

ahh.. well that just sucks. Im going to talk to her more about this.. She is the type that researches and since it was crash tested, unless there is proof it failed , she probably wont listen to me. :(

Thanks

tjham

I like the "throwing it against the wall" analogy! :D

They could have put it on ONE seat (with harness slots that matched its holes) and done some form of crash testing, but that doesn't automatically mean it would work with every or any other seat!

The only way I have heard of to safely use one is to cut the back out of it so the harness straps are not compromised and there is nothing between the baby and the carseat.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

My cats LOVE carseats. If I bring one in I get three of them in there. They fight over them. But they will sleep for hours in one. Doesn't matter what it is or what cover. Snugride, Advantage, Wizard, Century, Parkway, doesn't matter.

Wendy

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The bundle me, is just like wearing a coat in a car seat. When it compresses, there will be a lot of slack in the harness. So now that nice warm baby could be flying through the air!

mykidsmylife

But she did the compression test and it doesnt. I was right there with her. That is why I was looking for more info... But I am passing all this on to her.

ThreeBeans

So...they 'crash tested' it with every available infant seat on the market? Everything you can buy on the shelves today PLUS everything that's been available in the last 6-8 years?

Somehow I doubt it :p

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
While you can do the compression test with the Bundle Me and it would most likely pass... that is not the problem with it.

The problem is the routing of the harness. They have two long slits down the sides that are velcroed together. Presumably this is so that you don't have to rethread the straps if putting it in/out of the carseat/stroller.

Those openings are no where even near where a harness lies in it's natural path. If you are using a Bundle me, the harness will not be routed correctly, could easily become caught up on something causing unnecessary slack and is just plain not safe for that reason.

See this post for pictures of what I mean...
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=275076&postcount=33

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've called and talked to CS at Bundle Me.

They did "crash test" them at an independent lab. And the restraints they used "appear" to pass the crash testing.

They tested with the Britax infant seat and the Peg Perego Infant Seat "because all infant seats are basically the same."

That is what I got out of them almost a year ago.

Susan

mykidsmylife

While you can do the compression test with the Bundle Me and it would most likely pass... that is not the problem with it.

The problem is the routing of the harness. They have two long slits down the sides that are velcroed together. Presumably this is so that you don't have to rethread the straps if putting it in/out of the carseat/stroller.

Those openings are no where even near where a harness lies in it's natural path. If you are using a Bundle me, the harness will not be routed correctly, could easily become caught up on something causing unnecessary slack and is just plain not safe for that reason.

See this post for pictures of what I mean...
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=275076&postcount=33

THANK YOU!!!! THiS is EXACTLY the info I need!!!! Thanks so much!

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
But she did the compression test and it doesnt. I was right there with her. That is why I was looking for more info... But I am passing all this on to her.

You can't do a compression test. The only compression test that would be valid is one that is done with crash forces which (I'm assuming) you can't replicate in the comfort of your own home!

I have talked to the JJ Cole people at infant/children shows. They have sent me copies of the "testing" they did (I want to say it was done at Patuxent NAS, but I can't put my hands on it right now). As others have pointed out, if there is no standard to test to (and there isn't), it can't pass a none-existant test.

Good for you for following up with your friend. I hope that she will be convinced by the harness routing problem.

I live in Maryland where it rarely gets "really" cold. We have a few cold days, but it is not like Northern Minnesota! I'm horrified by how people dress and bundle their children in infant seats (and probably inconvertibles as well, but I can't see them as easily). Those poor kids must be so overheated (in addition to being unsafe!)!

gwenvet

If she really wants to use the Bundle Me, she could cut out a large rectangle in the back of it so that there is nothing between the child and the seat.

Mama!

In college, I worked in a baby store.In a very very frigid area of the country. People would bring little babies in bundled in HUGE snowsuits strapped in carseats. The straps on those baby buckets would be let all the way out to accomodate those big fluffy snowsuits. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC