Does anyone else's husband give them a hard time about carseats?

HKP1042

My DH can be a royal pain. He fought me about buying Nick a new carseat so we could keep him in a 5 pt. harness in his moms car. He insisted on flipping Josh forward facing in his truck (although I refuse to flip him in mine).

I have explained why it's safer but all I get in return is him saying i am overprotective. grrrr

ADS

BigDaddy

Overprotective? Compared to what? ... it sounds like his knowledge of child safety is right there with the 90+% of parents that misuse carseats, resulting in auto accidents being the leading cause of child death. If he is calling you overprotective compared to the protection that they provide, then you should take it as a compliment. Stand your ground and encourage him to educate himself.

To answer your question, I don't have a husband, but my wife would say that I give her a very hard time about car seats. Mainly nagging her to make sure that they are used correctly every time she goes anywhere, even if it is just to the store about 1 mile away. :D

NVMBR02

Sometimes. Not about keeping them harnessed though but he does have an issue when I start selling seats off and buying new ones. He also feels that I nag him about things because I sometimes tighten straps a bit more or tighten up the seatbelt a bit. I have been trying to be careful about things are worded/and or correcting things.

He will ask questions starting with "trained carseat expert" and ending with an eyeroll at times but at least he goes with what I feel is the safest thing (and he knows is the safest thing as well!)

Mama!

Mine just rolls his eyes but humors me. We've spent bazillions on carseats b/c we fell into the cheap seat trap when DD was a baby. *sigh*.

Amaris

Mine did when I really started getting into car seats and safety, somewhere around 6 years ago or so. He thought I was "overprotective" and his family thought I was nuts. I finally started telling him that when he did the research on carseats and what was safest he could have a say in the decision, and if he could find anything from a reliable source saying that I was going overboard we would discuss it, until then it was not up for discussion. He did read several things, and realized that I was right. Since then he has left the decisions concerning seats to me, including if we need another one. I look at it this way, the leading cause of death of children over age 1 is car accidents (I'm pretty sure anyway, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong, please). I have to put the kids in the car, so shouldn't I make sure they are as safe as I can possibly make them? It would be nice if we could avoid the car, but we can't, so we have the responsibility as parents to protect them.

CarSeatPoncho

My hubby does the same as Mama's, rolls his eyes but lets me do what I think is necessary.

Also, he knows that if he is picking me up from somewhere and ds is in the car, the first thing I'm going to do is tug on the harness to see if it's snug -- THEN I turn to him and kiss hello.

Not that it's conditional love, of course. :rolleyes:

BananaBoat

Not about the car seats...he does make fun of the time I spend on this board though :rolleyes:
But he gets that it's safER and is important and let's me be the researcher.

Whenever I open up my laptop, he thinks it'd funny to ask "so, what's new on Car-Seats?" :p

BigDaddy

Not about the car seats...he does make fun of the time I spend on this board though :rolleyes:
But he gets that it's safER and is important and let's me be the researcher.

Whenever I open up my laptop, he thinks it'd funny to ask "so, what's new on Car-Seats?" :p
:ROTFLMAO:

My wife does the same thing. She's always accusing me of flirting with "Suzy Snugfit" and "Sally Saferide".

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
He wanted her to be in a booster before I thought she was really ready, but to be fair, she was 6y and 45#* when we had that discussion, so he was still well within the realm of best practice.

We keep separate accounts. Carseats come out of my account. He occasionally comments when I upgrade, but it's more tease-y than angry, because he knows I'm still meeting all of my other obligations out of my account and not using credit.

* I think most physically and developmentally typical kids are fine in boosters at that size and age. My daughter is technically NT but has/had major impulse control issues.

oxeye

Nope, mine knows it is my hobby and that it is a good thing when my hobby keeps our kids safer.

I may spend a ton of money on car seats, but I don't spend a lot of money on my clothes or shoes. ;)

Rosey

I mostly get crap about the $$ and time I spend on seats. And just try talking him into a car seat as a baby gift for his best friend, ordering it, then having remorse and deciding a different seat would be better and try talking him into cancelling the order. He will never understand!

christineka

Dh doesn't like spending money on kiddies stuff, and especially car seats because we never get into accidents. In 16 years dh has been in one fender bender, all by himself. He does have a point, but you never know. Dh doesn't mind booster seats or sitting ffing, but rf to age 4 and beyond is something he hates, but tolerates.

He does not like to hear anything about car seats whether it is a new seat or someone else's expired seats. I find it highly annoying since I have to sit and listen for an hour about computer stuff that I don't even understand.

mom2threeboys

:ROTFLMAO:

My wife does the same thing. She's always accusing me of flirting with "Suzy Snugfit" and "Sally Saferide".

I almost spit Dr.Pepper all over my laptop that made me laugh so hard.:ROTFLMAO:

My hubby just rolls his eyes. And gets a little annoyed when I go behind him to check/tighten my boys up.

zactayaus

My DH totally gets the whole car seat thing and would let me get whatever seat I thought was best for us no matter what the cost without hesitation. He is totally on board with keeping our 6yo in a harness and thinks that all seat belts in all vehicles should be five point.:thumbsup: He is also a hundred percent on board with keeping our little one RF as long as possible.:) But I don't let him install the seats because he never gets them in right even after I've showed him a hundred times and I always check the kids straps if he puts them in their seats because I don't think he does it as good as me.:rolleyes:

ginny4

like many other i get the eye roll. if i decide to buy a seat i have to have good reason for it. surprising him is NOT a good idea. i have to tel him prior & all my reasons why its a good idea & what we are goign to do with the other seats. he doesn't want ANYSEAT or (ANYTHING really) to be sitting around wasting space. when DH buckles i go behind him & double check. he rolls his eyes. i tell him when he does a good job. he has defitnily gotten much better at it. rarely any need to adjust it.

2BunniesMommy

He rolls his eyes a bit, but puts the kids in perfectly and helps me get installs tight. He agrees that money is no object when it comes to their safety.

Valentine

Mine is a peach. He's paid close attention to everything I've taught him and knows best practice. He does great installs and always gets the harness tight and chest clip high. He even talked to his mom about turning our 20-month-old nephew back RF (which she did). The only thing is that he's tight with money and hates to spend it on anything, including carseats. So I have to wheedle a bit there, but overall he makes me proud!

AtTheSouthDam

Mine is fairly supportive. He humors me and looks at the pctures of new ones with me, lets me walk through the car seat aisle (sometimes) and really tries when it comes to getting them in right and so forth. He even informs co-works and is the go too guy for some of them when they are contemplating carseats. I got lucky :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC