Does anyone else's husband give them a hard time about carseats?

swtgi1982

Oh yes, mine sure does! He got to the point that now he will not even go shopping with me for them. He just looks at me and says, what ever you think is best dear, and walks away. :D

He is through arguing over it.

ADS

babyherder

I don't have a husband but I prefer to think of it as "My hobby keeps people safer." Most hobbies cost money so if I'm going to have a hobby it might as well be one that helps people.

Dh doesn't like spending money on kiddies stuff, and especially car seats because we never get into accidents. In 16 years dh has been in one fender bender, all by himself. He does have a point, but you never know. Dh doesn't mind booster seats or sitting ffing, but rf to age 4 and beyond is something he hates, but tolerates.

He does not like to hear anything about car seats whether it is a new seat or someone else's expired seats. I find it highly annoying since I have to sit and listen for an hour about computer stuff that I don't even understand.

this lol, he actually shields my eyes when we are driving and we get to a red light with someone who has kids, either improperly restrained, or bouncing around the back seat ect.. he goes, just please don't look, I don't want to hear it.

I am ocd about lots of things anyways, he gets so sick of hearing about my obsessions lol. Mostly car seats though.. but once in a while I will make him watch a you tube video with a horribly restrained kid and he will go "oh gosh that is terrible" so he at least knows. Though he still cant install a car seat properly. but he can buckle them usually properly.

My dh asked me the other day why I had to pick such an expensive hobby. :shrug-shoulders: I don't know, but at least she's safe. :whistle:

trust me, he is lucky, I have two, baby carriers and car seats, he is just glad we are not wraping much these days, so I am not buying any new didys, just the ergo, and kozys (those are our carriers of choices lately)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I expect my husband to be aware of carseat safety and to care about keeping our daughter safe, but I guess I don't expect him to share my passion for my cause. I expect him to respect it, but not to feel it like I do. I don't feel it for some of his causes.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
Nope! My dh is almost as crazy as I am. I love it! Except now we both point out all the misuse in the world to each other, so our outings can become quite depressing. ...all those unsafe children...
:rolleyes:

Mommy2Marcus

Yes he does. He really does not understand my obsession. However he did let me buy a new seat recently b/c he HATED the TF he had in his car. I also had not bought any new seats for a LONG while. He did then make me promise it would be the last seat I bought untill I absolutly NEEDED another seat.

He does not ever install seats, although I have showed him how to. I need to make him try to see how he would do. He does get the straps ok, but not quite as tight as I would. I always have to tighten a little behind him. However I think since he now has the EFTA in his car he will do better. When we're going somewhere together he generally makes me buckle Marcus! I do tell him when he did a good job though.

mommy2jasmine

We must have the same husband, lol. This would be EXACTLY what I would have wrote, if I hadn't read this. This is my DH to a T! :D

Mine is fairly supportive. He humors me and looks at the pictures of new ones with me, lets me walk through the car seat aisle (sometimes) and really tries when it comes to getting them in right and so forth. He even informs co-works and is the go too guy for some of them when they are contemplating carseats. I got lucky :D

Jonah Baby

I got lucky - Kevin WANTS to know about carseat safety. If we ever have the money to do so, he wants to take the CPST courses with me - he's a mechanic and will be getting his state inspection license, so he feels a shop would find a CPST certification an added bonus to hire.
He is always concerned with how Jo's seat is installed and how the harness fits him - he is able to install most seats acceptably just from listening and watching me and has helped some of his friends learn a better practice or two - he also referred them to some pretty good seats when they needed them.
He has no problem spending the money to get a "safe" seat if we have it.
He cares and knows that the lengths we go to with carseats are necessary.

He does not understand projectiles, however. I'm constantly closing his tool box lids or strapping something down in his truck. Once, he slammed on the brakes on the highway and his large box of air tools and sockets came flying up, hitting the dash by his head. I thought he'd learn from that...he did for a few days at least.
He also doesn't get his own seatbelt placement. I've showed him, repositioned it, demonstrated and showed videos on submarining and internal injury...he don't get it.
On occasion, Jo's chest clip will be slightly too low and he'll grumble about it, but its only when we are in a hurry.

If I can trust him to transport Jo or install seats when I cannot I think I made off pretty good compared to some of you!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I trust my husband to use and install seats adequately. There is a bit of room for improvement, but if I saw usage like his come into a clinic I'd leap for joy.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My DH is totally on board with proper car seat usage, etc. He doesn't share my passion but I wouldn't expect him to - he willingly keeps our kids safe in the car, supports me in my CPS activities, etc. I couldn't ask for more. In fact, we joke that he's "giving back" by having the kids to himself all day when I spend a Saturday doing seat checks (usually monthly from April-November). (After working all week, it's work to stay home alone all day with two - soon to be three - kids!)

On the other hand, I don't spend a bunch of $$$ on seats we don't need or will only use for 6 months and put a lot of thought into buying the right seat the first time around.

Same here. He's never really complained about me buying a new seat, but I've never been one to buy/sell/trade/quit using, etc. He does sometimes tease me about the number of seats we have - which until recently was quite reasonble. We do have a lot of seats right now, but in my defense I did have to buy new seats for everyone in order to accomodate 3-across in both of our cars once the baby arrives. My side of the garage has been taken up with car seats for the past three months. :p But this weekend I bought some shelves that will hold all the extras, and DH is putting them together today, so the seats won't be in the way anymore.

(Oh, and he didn't even complain about me needing to get three Radians, a Coccoro, and a My Ride. :love: I guess he realizes it's cheaper than a couple of new cars. :p)

marns

Mine for certain! He's always said he wouldn't too, because it was something that pertained to our child's safety, but of course he does. He doesn't like to spend a lot of money (grew up with very little to my more comfortable circumstances) and he won't just buy the car seat he's heard nothing but good things about if the price means he can find something comparable for less. It drives me nuts! :rolleyes: But we compromised this time- bought the Generations 65 last night- and he promised that if we have any problems with installation, ease of use, or any concerns about safety, we'll return it and get the Nautilus. I always have to prove something's value to him before he'll agree to spend the extra money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC