Need a EH seat for traveling in Europe

U

Unregistered

Next month we are going to be traveling to England for two weeks and I need a seat for DS 3 years old - 40" and 37lbs. He currently rides in a Frontier in my car and a Regent in DH truck.

My problem is that we are going to traveling around the country, staying with different people with different cars, in London we won't even have access with to a car. I don't really want to be lugging the Frontier all over the country - plus I heard that its a PITA to install on planes.

I need a seat that is going to be easy for us travel with - can be used on the plane - can be installed with out without latch. I was looking at the safeguard go but it can be used on the airplane can it?

The cars that we will be riding in are 2007 Toyota Prius, 1999 toyota corolla, and Vauxhall Zafira not sure the year.

I'm assuming the UK has the same latch and top tethers in their cars we do? Do anyone know?

DH suggested that we should get one of the vest for the flight and then just buy something over there so we know that it works with the cars - but I was looking at british car seats and I can't figure out which ones EH - plus they don't have the chest clip - if we are buying a seat I want to be able to use it as a back up for sometime.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't count on the cars all having ISOFIX (that's their LATCH system). I don't know that the 1999 car would.

If you could do without something on the plane (which he may fit in, he may not, nor would he be restrained as he's used to so it may make for a much longer flight) a Ride Safer Travel Vest would work for him. All of the cars you'll be in should have lap and shoulder belts.

Otherwise my next suggestion would probably be the Graco Nautilus. After that we'd be looking at the Sunshine Kids Radian.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ride Safer Travel Vest was my first thought, too. Possibly with a CARES for the plane, though they're not as comfy, he wouldn't have to use it full-time (when seatbelt light is off he can get up and stretch, etc.)

Second thought was Radian.

Most cars in Europe don't have top tethers.

mykidsmylife

We are in Germany and only the newer cars have IsoFix hardly any have top tethers, but almost every single car has lap/shoulder belts. So I would try with what Wendy said. A vest would be your easiest option.

U

Unregistered

How do young kids fit in the vests? I don't know if I comfortable with him just being in the vest.

Also do I need to use something on the train for him? and what about buses?

I was looking at the Radian65 but I'm nervous because everything I read says they have compatiblity issues. realistically how easy are they to install?

I was also looking at high weight RF seats you can buy in England - would I be able to use this in the US if I waited and bought one there? because that would be awesome!!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
High weight RFing seats in the UK? What is this contradiction? LOL UK seats RF to 9 kg, sometimes 13 kg. I haven't heard of one that goes beyond that rear facing in the UK. It would be illegal to use in the US, but it should actually fit in a car. So it'd be your decision to use it or not.

Buses and trains don't have seatbelts, so you can't use anything.

The vest starts at 35 pounds. It's a wearable five point harness, so it is a viable alternative.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

at http://rearfacing.co.uk/ they talk about places where you can buy seats that rearface to 6 years old.

I know that they wouldn't be legal here and I would have to make a parental decision to use it - but the thought of being able to keep him rear facing is very very tempting.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Neat site! Those aren't English seats, they're Swedish, but it's awesome they'll sell them to the UK. I have no idea what the import would be like, though. Or if you'd have to be there to get it.

Are you flying a US or an international carrier? International carriers won't let you use a rear facing seat on a plane, and after 36 months most don't let you use a seat at all.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

we're flying british airways. I hadn't even thought that they might not let him be in a seat for the flight but I suppose I could check it - ugh I don't trust checking car seats - I'm always scared they will get damaged.

I'm kinda hovering around the idea of a radian65 now because I really want him in a seat for the actual flight - i think he would be more comfortable. but the rear facing seats are very very tempting.

niccig

Get a rider safe vest like the other pp suggested. I got one for DS for easier 3 across in my car and for visiting my 2 sisters in the UK. One has a car and one doesn't, and the vest will be perfect for some car travel and the rest public transport.

Practice a few times with it at home, so you're both familiar with it. DS loves to wear his around the house for when he play construction worker or race car driver or astronaut...so it's a good toy as well!

ETA. Your DS is about the same size as mine..actually your DS is a little heavier but teh same height. Min weight on the vest is 35lbs - we just make that and I have to have the vest as tight as the chest straps allow, but it does fit. It should be fine for your DS. I can't get the crotch strap tight, but the posters hers told me that is optional, so it's not a big deal if it's not snug. The vest itself must be snug. When you use it, the vest does ride up at the shoulder and there's a gap between DS's shoulder and the vest - again, that's fine. But make sure the seatbelt is properly routed. We like ours and it does make a nice extra seat for car pools etc.

The vest is safe - none of the CPS techs here would use it if it wasn't. Wendy's DD is wearing it in the photos in her signature, the middle photo is her DD in the vest. Maybe someone can post the test data, but I thought the vest did very well, as in better than some seats???

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radian and the RSTV are the only ones who publish their numbers, so we don't know about other seats. But yeah, the RSTV's numbers far exceed the minimum performance. I use one for my daughter in my mom's car. :)

slklady

have u looked at the sit n stroll? we used this for years... the stroller is handy as well as the fact that you can buckle the seat in with a car seat belt. (child is in 5 pt harness)

J-max

CPST Instructor
My first thought was an RSTV too (and possibly a CARES) harness for the plane. We have 2 RSTVs for our 2 middle girls for traveling and they are great, I don't know what we ever did without them (well I do, lug 2 more heavy seats around with us), they also work great for visiting friends and fitting 3 across.

InternationalMama

Just wanted to post and say that most coaches (long-distance buses) in the UK do have seatbelts now, but as far as I remember they are lap-belt only.

Depending on where you are going to be in the UK, there are several stores that stock some of the ERF Britax/Recaro/Brio etc. seats if you wanted to take a look at them. I think they are all listed on the website you gave.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
have u looked at the sit n stroll? we used this for years... the stroller is handy as well as the fact that you can buckle the seat in with a car seat belt. (child is in 5 pt harness)

The Sit N Stroll is a BEAST. I have a friend who had one and returned it because she was unable to get a good install in any of 5 cars she tried it in. Plus, it's outgrown rather quickly by height.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
British Airways won't allow a rear facing seat period, and no seats over 36 months. This is why we fly domestic carriers internationally. I don't know if they'd even go for a CARES harness. Saying it's FAA approved means nothing to them, since they don't follow FAA regulations.

The Sit N Stroll is probably outgrown already, and it only has a 40 pound limit, so I wouldn't buy one for a 37 pound child. But the top slots are I think about 13", so most kids outgrow it by two years old. It's also huge, bulky, odd to install, and doesn't switch between stroller and seat easily.

Wendy

InternationalMama

British Airways...I don't know if they'd even go for a CARES harness.

According to their website, British Airways does allow the CARES harness. They call it something else, but it is my understanding it's the same harness.

The thing I really hate about British Airways is that even if you have a car seat for your child they make you remove them from the car seat during take off, landing, and turbulence and strap them to your lap belt with a one of those baby belts. This seems horrendous to me. But hopefully the OP isn't flying BA. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
But hopefully the OP isn't flying BA. :)

She is. Otherwise I wouldn't have just gone on about them. :)

Thing is, though, the flight attendants need to sit down for take off and landing and get strapped in. Once they're strapped in there's very little they can do to prevent you from putting your child back in their restraint properly. I agree, it's stupid. We flew British Midlands with Piper (only international carrier she's been on, and it'll be another six years or so before we fly one again I hope) and they made me turn her seat forward against FMVSS213 (she was only 17 pounds in an Advantage) and gave me the loop for the lap belt. I just kind of stared at them. They had to be kidding me. Somehow they think that loop is better than a carseat???? They didn't make me remove her for takeoff and landing, and if they did then I just put her back. I don't remember that being an issue. But it doesn't surprise me in the least.

Maybe now that the UK is recommending rear facing to four years their airlines will get their butts in gear.

Wendy

Adventuredad

Keeping your child safe on the road should IMHO be number one priority. Flying with a child is the safest anyone can do. It's also complicated to use seats while flying internationally because of different country regulations and airlines which all have different rules.

High weight Swedish seats are really catching on in UK after the latest research in BMJ saying RF to 4 years is far safer. There are many different options available, you can read more at CarSeat.se (disclaimer, it's my site). Most kids can sit rear facing until 4-5 years of age with these seats and they are easy to install.

Newer cars in Europe have Isofix but it's no something you can count on.

if you do consider taking a radian or other seat without built in lock offs - you will need a locking clip.
most UK cars have emergency locking seatbelts and do not lock automatically.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC