Need a EH seat for traveling in Europe

InternationalMama

Hi -

Oh, very sorry I missed the little extra post about flying British Airways. I thought Wendy was just guessing because it's the most likely airline. Then I would suggest a CARES harness for the flight. They call it the AmSafe System on their site. Here's the link:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/child/public/en_gb

If you did want to bring a seat I think the Radian would be your best bet because they require a very narrow seat (maximum dimensions 43x43 cm). I'll be very curious as to whether they let you use it though. I suspect they won't because of his age.

I'd go with the RSTV. Sounds like a great option. I wish my son was 35 lbs. :)

PS I don't think the CAA is going to change their rules about the not rear-facing on planes anytime soon. They have some "data" to back up their rules.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Ok so I just ordered a Radian65 AND a CARES vest. DH is going to kill me. LOL

I'm going to try and see if they will let me use the seat on the plane. My big issue with wanting him in a seat for the flight is because I think HE will find it more comfortable we are flying at night and i'm hoping he will sleep most of the flight. Hopefully we'll get it in a couple days so I can get used to installing it and he can get used to riding in it.

If they don't let me use the seat then I will use the vest. If they do let me use the seat I can always take the vest back.

I'll have to come back and let you guys know if they let me use the seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian is super easy to install on planes. And a neat trick I learned with it is that if you put the little forward facing foot down, and recline the plane's seat while you're installing it (then pull the seatback upright to snug it in), then when it's time for sleep you can recline the plane's seat and the Radian will recline snugly right with it. Piper slept for 7.5 hours straight on a plane back from China in hers.

If they don't let you install it it'll fit in the overhead bins folded, so it doesn't need to be handled by the baggage people.

Wendy

InternationalMama

Sounds like a plan! Please come back and let us know how it turned out. I'm very interested. :) Don't forget to practice doing the install with a locking clip because you'll need to use one in the UK.

Wendy, do you really know someone who has been allowed to put it in the overhead bin? I know it fits, but I think they have rules about putting very heavy metal objects up in those... Oh well, maybe the OP will find out for us!

U

Unregistered

OK so just for an update - we flew yesterday and British Airways did NOT allow him to us the seat. and they would not allow it in the overhead compartment. They did check it with the strollers at the gate instead of checking it with luggage.

He did fine in the CARES vest - although he only really wore it for take off and landing. I think he would have been more comfortable in his seat - he didn't sleep very well.

So far I've only put the seat into the Prius and it was a reasonably easy.

InternationalMama

Thanks for posting back.

Did they say why they wouldn't let you use the seat? Was it because of the seat itself (too wide, not EU-approved etc.) or was it because of your son's age?

I'm curious because I was really hoping BA would allow a Radian onboard for my future flights with them.

If it was because of the seat and not because of his age you could get a Britax Freeway online in the UK for 60 pounds for the return trip if you want it. That's the seat Britax and BA recommend to use on BA flights. But it would probably only be worth it if you plan on flying BA in the future.

U

Unregistered

They told me no because of his age. you were right after 36 months they don't want them in seats :( I didn't really query it any further to find out if the seat would have been OK with a younger child.

I got half way through installing it when a flight attendant asked me how old he was. It fit really easily into the seat so I don't think THAT would have been an issue. On the way home I'm going to try again and if they ask his age I'm going to tell a little white lie I think.

OT - but am I reading it correct does this seat NOW RF to 40lbs. I think I'm going to pee my pants - thats awesome. guess whats about to become our primary seat!!!

Thanks for posting back.

Did they say why they wouldn't let you use the seat? Was it because of the seat itself (too wide, not EU-approved etc.) or was it because of your son's age?

I'm curious because I was really hoping BA would allow a Radian onboard for my future flights with them.

If it was because of the seat and not because of his age you could get a Britax Freeway online in the UK for 60 pounds for the return trip if you want it. That's the seat Britax and BA recommend to use on BA flights. But it would probably only be worth it if you plan on flying BA in the future.

InternationalMama

It's a true story. If it's a US Radian with a DOM of 9/08 or later it now RFs to 40 lbs. How great is that?!

Thanks for the info. Good luck for the trip and on the way home!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC