Would you believe that *I* got stopped at an RCMP check today?!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yup. In South Surrey/White Rock today. I was pulled over by an RCMP officer, and there were officers on hand to write tickets. I then identified myself to the checker, but she went and checked Aiden's booster regardless (left Abbi's Frontier be).. and went and got Jani, who is Linda Reid's (other instructor in BC) sister. Had a friendly exchange, and went on my way. :)

I was...AMUSED, to say the least, but also very excited to see an enforcement check in Surrey. Jani did mention that they had done some checks in the "other" part of Surrey, and had even ticketed for NON-USE for a baby. For the most part, though, they're there to help and are only ticketing gross misuse and non-use.

-Nicole.

ADS

bubbaray

The irony of YOU getting stopped....

So, did they ask you to help at the check once they knew who you were???

What the heck is there to check re a booster if the child isn't there???

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The irony of YOU getting stopped....

So, did they ask you to help at the check once they knew who you were???

What the heck is there to check re a booster if the child isn't there???

Whether it's got its certification sticker? Guessing...

April

Jani was the one who stopped me at the RCMP check in Langley last year. (And had never seen a Radian or Apex before).

I wonder what they wouldve done if you had your Regent and Signo in there!

I wish I was invited to do a check!

bubbaray

See, that's my point -- why check a booster and NOT check a harnessed seat, where there are waaaay more install/use issues. Just weird to me. And, wow, had never seen a RN or Apex? Sheesh...

The only check I was pulled over for, the cop waved me through when he saw that DD#2 was sleeping. I could have had her in a Swedish seat for all he knew.... He even asked me if I "wanted" to have the seat inspected. I told him no, it had already been (by Marg from BCAA, who tried to get my DH to become a tech).

QuassEE

They only pull people over with kids in the car.. I had two.

I only had Canadian seats, of course! :) But no, they didn't look. It's hard to say whether or not they normally would have looked..but nobody did a double-take at the Frontier, so they must've recognized it.

-Nicole.

kattale

Here in Ottawa the car seat techs are invited to join road-side stops several times a year - but it's always during weekday business hours. Boo. I'd love to help out at one, if they ever did it evenings or weekends.

hipmaman

I wish they would do random checks like that in Ontario. Anything to try to reduce the misuse numbers!

Depending on where you are, there are road side stops often in the summer/spring. Techs are always needed in these campaigns.

ETA: and you can bet if there are techs in the check, we are thorough. If there are only officers (non-techs) or if the traffic is bad, then gross misuse would be spotted and fined.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC