i got my nautilus!

Jennee

we bought it today and i just finished getting it put together and getting straps where they need to be.
it seems like the crotch strap might not be out far enough though. its in the farthest one out but it still seems to be coming from under dawson.
the back of it does seem to have lots of room for him to grow into.
ill post some pics of him in it when i get them on the computer.
thanks for the help with the decision! if it werent for you guys im sure i would have went with the apex.

ADS

Jennee

DSCF4489.jpg

DSCF4491.jpg

DSCF4490.jpg

Laurette

I can't see exactally where the straps are comming from in the pics but it looks to me like you can move the headrest down one click.

Jennee

the straps are in the 2nd slot down. i did have the head rest down one and it was covering the tops of the straps and i didnt think that was good. its on the 2nd setting up right now.
thanks!

Pixels

The crotch strap being under him (when it's on the farthest out slot) is fine. As long as it doesn't hurt him, you don't need to worry about it.

Once you get it installed, you'll need to check the harness height and headrest height. Kids fit differently in the house vs. when the seat is installed in the car. The way he looks right now, the headrest is way too high. The red shoulder belt guide should be just above his shoulder, so that his head is well protected in the headrest. It's fine if the headrest covers the straps.

featherhead

The crotch strap being under him (when it's on the farthest out slot) is fine. As long as it doesn't hurt him, you don't need to worry about it.

Once you get it installed, you'll need to check the harness height and headrest height. Kids fit differently in the house vs. when the seat is installed in the car. The way he looks right now, the headrest is way too high. The red shoulder belt guide should be just above his shoulder, so that his head is well protected in the headrest. It's fine if the headrest covers the straps.

I was pretty sure that wasn't allowed. There have been quite a few threads with people asking and the answer was always that the headrest should NOT cover the straps.

Pixels

I was pretty sure that wasn't allowed. There have been quite a few threads with people asking and the answer was always that the headrest should NOT cover the straps.

The headrest can not cover the straps.

The manual, on page 47, is pretty clear about this. It says "When using with or without the built-in harness .... The shoulder belt guides must be even with or just above the shoulders as shown by dotted line 2." (with an accompanying diagram)

The headrest must be adjusted properly to protect the head. The harness will do its job just as well, even though it is partially covered.

Jennee

i called them to get the right story. they said it can not cover the straps and the head rest must be lower then i have it. i have to email pics to them to show whats going on. they will call me back.

Jennee

hmmm it seems hes slouching in the seat. does that mean i should move the crotch strap back to the hole closest to him?
he does sit much taller that way.

Last edited:

mommycat

Unless there's a big gap between him and the strap, I wouldn't move the crotch strap closer to him. Just make sure he sits nice and straight with his bum back when he gets in the seat and then snug the harness up nice and tight. If there is no slack in the harness then he shouldn't be able to slouch much at all. (again, assuming there is not a huge gap)

Jennee

i got a call back from graco, they looked at my pics and said it was a perfect install.
its more important that the straps not be covered then it is for the head rest to be level with his shoulders at this age.
they even said leave the strap where it is, hes fine.
yay!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC