How far along were you when you installed your infant seat base/convertilble?

zactayaus

So how far along were you when you installed your infant seat base or convertable for your baby to be? I have 8 weeks left to go and I haven't installed it permanintly yet (only tried it out a few times). So I was just wondering when everyone else installed it for good.

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

Right before I left for the hospital to be induced with DD2 and in the hospital parking lot after DD1 was born. I was afraid I would install it and then get in an accident or something bad happen. I am superstitious :)

Spam

I had about 3-4 weeks to go. Just wanted to make sure it was done. My sis is scheduled for a c-sec on Mar 9, and is in no hurry to install hers.

cdncasper

Mine won't be installed until about week 38-39 since I work until 2 weeks before I am due and I will have the girls carseats in the car instead. The Radians will come out and the SS1 will go in at that point (or right afterwards)

ed_tricia

Honestly I was already past 40 weeks. :) I think I installed it about 2 days before she was actually born, but had tried it out a few weeks earlier so we knew how to do it. I would say about 38 weeks would be a good time just because it's more likely that the baby would come after that point. If you have a history of early babies, I would go for a week before your earliest was born, but that's just a thought.
Congrats and good luck in about 8 weeks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper was about 10 hours old. I admit, I lay across the backseat while in labor, and I wanted that possibility, so we didn't install it until right before we left to go home.

Wendy

urchin_grey

The day before he was born. :eek: I got an infant seat at my baby shower, but when we took it out of the box, the button on the side to adjust the handle was broken so we had to return it. There weren't any more of the same one in stock though, so we wound up exchanging it for the snugride because it looked sturdier anyway.

With Michael: (I was induced so I knew when he was going to be born).
*The night before I was induced

With Logan: (I was in pre-term labor since 16 weeks, I was worried I would have him early): So, I installed it around 30 weeks

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
I just installed mine today and I'm 30 weeks. I've had some pre-term labor, and DS was born at 38 weeks.

My real reason though was that I cleaned the car and wanted to move DS's seat outboard while it was uninstalled (it was unseasonably warm) and figured I might as well do it now! I'm glad I did since DS is less than thrilled with being outboard. . . He has to get used to someone else being in the back seat next to him, so it's an adjustment. We went out today with his "Moo" in the baby seat, and that seemed to help.

And, I'm a nerd and like to see 2 seats in my backseat!

NannyMom

I went on bedrest at 36 weeks (which I didn't take seriously enough). That's when my SIL decided it was time to buy my carseat (which I hadn't bought, because she'd promised that was her present to me for the baby shower). So I was probobly 36/37 weeks when we got it installed. Sofi was born at 38 weeks, 1 day.

Prolly about 6 weeks before the due date. I can't remember exactly how early I installed it for DS, but it was really early cuz we had no reason not to (no one ever sat in the back seats of our cars so why not). However, it's a good thing we installed it way early cuz DS came over 4 weeks early. I'm gonna install it extra early again this time to be safe.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
About 4 weeks before I was due with both kids BUT with ds, a few days before he was born I detailed my van and reinstalled his seat.

APmama2MAK

When we left to go home, the nurses had a FIT that I was going to positively KILL myself trying to *gasp* use a seatbelt lol. I sure wasnt about to let her install it or my Dad so I survived SOMEHOW *snort*. She also said the chest clip looked too high 3 times when believe me, it wasnt.

PixieEMT

About 28 weeks give or take. I like to be organized and prepared. I bought a Companion about a month ago. I installed it in my van to get DS familiar with the new baby idea. ;) I have a second base for the Companion sitting in our closet right now. I have to install it in DH's car.

DH also has no clue how to install one. He knows how to correctly secure a child in one but don't ask him to install one. *sigh As soon as the weather breaks I plan on putting him through "carseat boot camp" before the 2nd one arrives. ;) I'm almost 30 weeks now. I delieved DS at 39 weeks.

seamonkeys

I'm just a few days ahead of you and I haven't installed yet. Well, I've tried it when I first got it, just to check out the install. Thinking I'll install the base in a few weeks, but won't put the actual seat in for a couple more. I've yet to have an early baby, so I'm not worried.

Mama Jo

I started going into labor with both kiddos around 20-22 weeks. Docs were able to hold them off, but I worried every day that I could end up in the hospital with a pre-term baby and I didn't want anyone but me installing the seats. Both were installed right around 20 weeks.

flutie128

I don't remember with DS. DS wanted the car seat installed for his new baby the day he found out I was having a baby. I gave in and installed it in January the day we went to see the movie The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. I was due May 13th and DD was born May 11th. I will say that with two car seats in my car the car does stay cleaner but it does get a lot of junk in it.

sunnymw

32ish weeks, both times. Of course I redid DS2's as soon as the Radian came, which was at 38 weeks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC