3.5 year old in a KF30 and huge 21 month old

fyrfightermomma

So I got my new Keyfit today (for $39!). I wanted to see how long I thought kids would last in it (because I couldn't decide between the KF and the SS1) so I plunked my kids in it.

I was pretty amazed. I thought it was much shorter. My 3.5 year old has outgrown it by about 2 inches-maybe even less. What do you guys think? The pics are misleading because her hair is so puffy (excuse the hair-it was post nap hair). In the first pic the horizontal part above her bangs is where the top of her head is. The fabric is the actual top of the hard shell so there is no puffiness there. She grew 4 inches in the past year, so I'd say she would have fit in this until age 3 (not that I'd keep her in it that long).

I am happy I got it. I think they will fit for a while.

How much taller is the SS1? My oldest still fits in the SS1 by height and weight.

Anyways here are some pics for fun.

DD1 is 3.5. 39" (all legs) and 25 lbs.

100_0753-1.jpg

Line above bangs is where the top of her head is
100_0754.jpg

100_0759.jpg

DD2 is 21 months, 30 lbs and 34". She is ALL torso and no legs. She has a 1.5 inch longer torso than her big sister
100_0755.jpg

100_0761.jpg

And this is what she has thought of buckets since the day we came home from the hospital :)

100_0757.jpg

The weird thing is that DD1 still fits in the SS1 but DD2 has *just* outgrown it. I put them both in one 2 months ago and DD2 had less room than DD1. But in my pics doesn't it look like DD2 outgrew it by less than her sister? I'm confused by that. She has a longer torso and has outgrown the SS1 but by these pics it looks like she has more room than her sister. Maybe the seats fit them differently??

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
She looks a bit slumpy to me. Also possible that your eldest had an unnoticed torso spurt. Cute kids!

munchkin

$39 :eek:. Where at? That is a great price, maybe it is karma from selling your MA for so cheap!

I know you have been having issues, but to me your DD1 looks happy and healthy! You must be doing a great job! She is so cute.

keri1292

Wait a minute. How did you get a $39 KEYFIT??? *insert drooly smilie here*

My guy fit in the SS1 forever too. Your oldest looks happy as a clam in the bucket. :D

fyrfightermomma

Don't worry guys. It wasn't really $39. I had an in store credit from something I returned plus a $30 coupon. So the store ate $120 and I paid $39. :) The seat was $159

But I love it. DOn't love the DOM (1/08) but oh well. It'll last two more kiddos at least

fyrfightermomma

$39 :eek:. Where at? That is a great price, maybe it is karma from selling your MA for so cheap!

I know you have been having issues, but to me your DD1 looks happy and healthy! You must be doing a great job! She is so cute.

You made me cry! *sniff*. Thank you. That really means a lot. I worry so much and to us she used to look so so sick. But we've been doing so much to get her healthy and to hear a stranger say she looks happy and healthy is unbelievable to us. 3 months ago you never would have said that. :) Yeah for healthy kids! :love: You just made my day!

fyrfightermomma

Wait a minute. How did you get a $39 KEYFIT??? *insert drooly smilie here*

My guy fit in the SS1 forever too. Your oldest looks happy as a clam in the bucket. :D

I don't know if it's her sensory issues or what but she LOVES buckets. Always has. She hates a convertible. Not enough support I guess. But she'll sit in a bucket on the floor for hours

She sat in this one and read for over an hour

I've been tempted for the past year or so to get a SS1 for her but who in the world buys a SS1 for a 3 year old?

Now it's not worth it. She's got about 1.5 inches before she outgrows the SS1. Save me money I guess huh

fyrfightermomma

Did you see Ilana in our SS1? http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=69167&highlight=Kasey I'll take more tonight since she just had a bath and her hair is calm, lol. I'll strap her in this time to see better. She's only 32.5". She would've been done w/ the KF30 at about 12 mos (I tried her after that so I'm just guessing, but she was too big last time I tried her in it).

Wow. I thought I had big kids but if she is that big in the SS1 at just over 2, I must have little kids! LOL. My youngest who I thought was huge will be 2 in March and she *just* outgrew it but still has shell above her head(maybe 1/2")

featherhead

The weird thing is that DD1 still fits in the SS1 but DD2 has *just* outgrown it. I put them both in one 2 months ago and DD2 had less room than DD1. But in my pics doesn't it look like DD2 outgrew it by less than her sister? I'm confused by that. She has a longer torso and has outgrown the SS1 but by these pics it looks like she has more room than her sister. Maybe the seats fit them differently??

I think that's true. Jewels came over the other day. She had her dd in a Snugride, and I pulled out my new Keyfit for her to see. My dd had a tiny bit more room in the Snugride than the Keyfit, but her dd had more room in the Keyfit. Oh, and my 18 month old would just barely fit in the Keyfit (with a disposable diaper anyway).

PixieEMT

Fyrfightermomma- Would you mind flipping the seat over and snapping a picture of the bottom for me? Please?
I wanted to see if it looks similar to a Graco SnugRide/SS1/SR32. I'm curious to know how it snaps onto a travel system.
I bought a Fisher Price Sit and Stand Duo that says you can only use Graco,Britax or FP car seats on it. :rolleyes:
I'm not going to BRU for at least 2 more weeks. We are taking the stroller with us to try seats out.
Thank you:)

fyrfightermomma

Sure here are pics. I sure wish I had a baby to put in it :( But hopefully someday I will!

Completely flat and rounded. No cutout like where you would put it on a shopping cart (i know, i know) but that "cutout" is what usually attaches to strollers for travel systems as well
100_0764.jpg

Where my finger is is really the only part that hooks into the base that is visible. There are two tiny metal hooks on the front but are mainly recessed in the shell. These grey things lock into the base and depress when the handle to remove the seat from the base is pulled.
100_0765.jpg

Competely rounded with no skid things on each side
100_0766.jpg

view from where child's back would be
100_0767.jpg

view under child's butt
100_0768.jpg

HTH

PixieEMT

That helps.
I wish I had my SnugRide to snap a couple pics of. The red handle that you pull to release it from the base has a plastic hook that hooks into a square cut out in the base. That little hook also hooks the carrier onto the stroller tray.

My FP Sit and Stand duo manual has the Safe Voyage Infant seat pictured in it. :rolleyes: That looked like a nice seat too! I'm going to try a KF 30 at BRU and I'm hoping they have the new SR32 in stock.

Kat_Momof3

Wow. I thought I had big kids but if she is that big in the SS1 at just over 2, I must have little kids! LOL. My youngest who I thought was huge will be 2 in March and she *just* outgrew it but still has shell above her head(maybe 1/2")

oh your kids are definitely on the smaller side.

Ruthie was too big lengthwise by 1" (her head was level with the top of the shell) AND weight (she was already 30-32lbs) at 23mo old.

I have pics if anyone wants me to post them!!

zeo2ski

Aw, those pics are too cute. It's funny how your ODD loves the buckets while YDD hates them,hehe.

I don't know your story with ODD, but I always notice your siggy pics (cause I think hard about the recaro) and I always think she is so darn cute--I never guessed she was not healthy and happy 100% of the time! Good luck to you all with whatever the issues are, but you've got a gorgeous little girl there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC