News Off Topic: Canadian National Do Not Call List went live today

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Off Topic: Canadian National Do Not Call List went live Sept. 30

I am sticking this here rather than Chat as it pertains only to Canadians. Mods, if this was a bad choice of a place, please let me know so I don't make the mistake again!

If you're sick of telemarketers, get your phone number added to the CRTC's National Do Not Call List https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ Some calls are exempt, so read the web site to find out who you may still get calls from.

Last edited:
ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Honestly? This is a great place :) I don't "do" mass media beyond internet, and so I hadn't heard about the list. We actually pay the monthly for a house phone line just for our fax machine because the regular number is frequented by annoying telemarketers! :) It would be great to be able to use the phone again--my kids actually have a cel since those calls are easy to screen.

-Nicole.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Oh, I heard about this on the radio but couldn't remember the site or phone number they gave and of course had forgotten all about it by the time I came to the computer :whistle:

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

bubbaray

I registered all our numbers yesterday, home and 2 cells. FINALLY!

I would suggest registering all cell phones, IIRC they are going to be "listed" in 2009.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Actually, it went live yesterday (but crashed under higher demand than they expected. :rolleyes:)

Sadly, the Do Not Call list will not stop the majority of telemarketing calls, as it exempts companies you've done ANY business with in the last 18 months. I don't know about you, but most of the calls I get are from financial institutions I use (offering credit cards, insurance, etc.) or my phone company. They will not be blocked (nor will charities, newspapers or political parties.) Toothless, the Do Not Call List is.

I have heard about this site as well: http://ioptout.ca/ I don't know how well they'll help reduce the call volume. :shrug-shoulders:

Probably 60%+ of the calls we receive are telemarketers. :mad:

canadiangie

I'm so happy about this. I listened to an entire commentary on the subject yesterday. Apparently by last night over 2 million people had already signed up. It's about time we have this option. :thumbsup: Thanks of the link. I agree this is a perfect place for it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Actually, it went live yesterday (but crashed under higher demand than they expected. :rolleyes:)
Yes, and I posted this yesterday. :) I posted late in the day though as I waited until the web site was working again as I didn't want to send everyone to a non-working site. I am guessing it might go through some down times today as well as more people add themselves.

Since my "today" was out of date 14 minutes after I posted, I attempted to update my title for clarity, but sadly it only edited the title in my first post and not the overall thread title. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sadly, the Do Not Call list will not stop the majority of telemarketing calls, as it exempts companies you've done ANY business with in the last 18 months. I don't know about you, but most of the calls I get are from financial institutions I use (offering credit cards, insurance, etc.) or my phone company. They will not be blocked (nor will charities, newspapers or political parties.) Toothless, the Do Not Call List is.
But you CAN ask to be removed from those lists. CIBC used to call every month at least with an offer for a new credit card so we asked to be removed from their list and we haven't had a call in close to year now. Charities will also remove you from their list. I assume newspapers and political parties should have an opt out list as well as it is required by law. I believe the only groups NOT required to have a list are those doing marketing research or surveys because they aren't soliciting business from you. I agree that it's a pain to ask to be removed when you know you don't want anything from them, but I can sort of see the point that if you doing business with a company, you could potentially want more of their services.

Here is the list of people who can call you for those interested https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/cofi-fico-eng

If you do ask to be removed from a list, also make sure to say you do NOT want your information shared with any other organizations. Else you're info could just be sold, traded with other telemarketers!

I just hope that this stops the "FREE CRUISE" and "FREE VACATION" automated message phone calls we get! So annoying that there isn't anyone on the line that I can ask to be removed and the message is so darn long that I haven't bothered to listen to the whole thing to see if there was a way to get myself removed.

Lea_Ontario

I just registered our home and cell numbers - it might not STOP all the calls, but if it at least cuts down on them, it's a blessing.

thrillhouse

we registered ourselves too, unfortunately I'm going to have to wait for the election to be over for the *daily* political party phone calls to end. They call me at dinner time, and act surprised when I tell them they have already called me many times and no I will not commit to voting for them so please stop calling me. UGHHH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC