Update to Frontier harness problem..called Britax

ben&jakesmum

The girl I spoke to was actually quite nice and said she has heard of this happening before.

Basically she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. If the harness is pulled out one side at a time, the splitter plate is left to dangle and the strap could slide off. So, she recommends pulling the harness out evenly both sides together.

Theoretically that makes sense but half the time I am doing two things at once and one side just gets pulled. I know a lot of people don't ever loosen it but I just find it easier to loosen and tighten each time Ben gets in.

SOOOO, I guess now I have to make the conscious effort to pull them evenly. I asked about putting a piece of tape around the gap in the splitter plate just to ease my mind and she of course said that they leave it up to us and it's our discretion.

I honestly can't see how doing that would harm anything so I might do it.

I am still pi$$ed that I am going to miss out on the Nautilus. Especially when I have a perfectly good American version sitting right here that I love.:(

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, I agree with being dissatisfied with the suggestion. This really is reminiscent of the recall on the Signo in the US - same problem... they ended up issuing a recall and sending out little rubber caps that narrowed the gap on the splitter plate.

What's the age/weight of your ds? (I think you said you have a ds in a prior post? Hope I'm not calling your dd a he. :eek: ) Is there another seat that would be an option until the Nautilus arrives? I don't think I'd trust using the Frontier in harness mode either unless you do something to make sure it can't slip off. But in my honest opinion - and it's somewhat blunt too, you shouldn't have to do anything with any seat, let alone a $300 seat, to make sure that it remains safe to use.

Please follow this up with TC. I'm going to find the thread that has the phone # for contacting Barb Baines. I think she'll be very interested in hearing about this.

snowbird25ca

Hi - can you do me a favour? Do you still have the seat? If so, Transport Canada would like to replace it and open an investigation. Can you contact Barb at 1-800-333-0510 - she's on holidays right now, but if you can wait until Monday, I know she would be interested....

Thanks

There's the post from the other thread. Today is the Monday that Barb was to be back, so I'd try giving her a call and get the ball rolling.

(If you click on the blue little arrow you'll be taken to the other thread if you'd like to read what was going on in it.)

ben&jakesmum

Hi,
Yes he is a DS. He is 4.5, 44 inches and about 45 lbs. I have it in booster mode right now, which I'm not 100% comfortable with either.

I don't have another seat to use in the meantime except the "Illegal" Nautilus, which I would love to use but am paranoid about insurance claims if anything should happen.

I think I am SOL with returning the seat. It's been a few weeks now and I got it from a boutique type store. Britax wasn't too interested in replacing it.

I don't know what I should do. I am very angry at spending the $300 on a seat because I wanted to harness until 65 lbs. If I wanted a booster I could have spent $60.

I am at a loss :(

snowbird25ca

Hi,
Yes he is a DS. He is 4.5, 44 inches and about 45 lbs. I have it in booster mode right now, which I'm not 100% comfortable with either.

I don't have another seat to use in the meantime except the "Illegal" Nautilus, which I would love to use but am paranoid about insurance claims if anything should happen.

I think I am SOL with returning the seat. It's been a few weeks now and I got it from a boutique type store. Britax wasn't too interested in replacing it.

I don't know what I should do. I am very angry at spending the $300 on a seat because I wanted to harness until 65 lbs. If I wanted a booster I could have spent $60.

I am at a loss :(

Please, whatever you do, DON'T return the seat. Contact TC. If they're concerned about the issue, they'll pay for a replacement seat & they'll take the Frontier off your hands. I think it's really important that a formal defect investigation is opened about this because it has potential for catastrophic failure of the seat.

How tall is he? Would a TF work for now? It doesn't convert to a booster, but it would last him weight wise long enough for the Nautilus to get here and it's on sale until Friday so you could pick one up for $160 or $170 depending on whether you went to TRU/BRU or Zellers. If it would last him 6months, then it would give you time to wait and it wouldn't put you out a bunch of money. Plus the TF has a 7yr expiry, so you could either re-sell it with it having most of it's lifespan left, or you could keep it for future use depending on your plans. :thumbsup:

ben&jakesmum

He is 44 inches tall. I'm not sure of his torso height but he was on the last slots of his MA with not much room to spare.

I emailed TC so I guess if they wanted to buy the seat off of me, I could try the TF. The whole thing is such a hassle. While the Britax isn't as good to me as the Nautilus, I had it, and the idea of it is perfect.

I guess we will wait and see what TC has to say about it now. We are pretty broke right now so I can't even really go out and buy a new seat in the meantime.

I wonder what the lesser of two evils is, keep him in booster mode right now or put him in the US Nautilus?

QuassEE

I wonder what the lesser of two evils is, keep him in booster mode right now or put him in the US Nautilus?

We can only recommend the legal option. This may not be the safest option, of course, but the law comes before safety. OUCH.

-Nicole.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
If you emailed the regular Transport Canada web mail address you probably won't get a response for a while (if at all). It depends on where it is sent. Email Barb directly - PM me and I'll supply her email for you.

bubbaray

Barb is really great with getting help for you from the manufacturer. She got me a new seat from Graco/Elfe (not known for their CS in Canada) b/c part of the harness system on my Crapp-o-Sport broke and left a sharp piece that DD#2 grabbed (but thankfully wasn't hurt by,nor did she choke on it, but she could have). I didn't need/want the new seat (just the replacement part), but after Elfe first refused to send the part, then sent the wrong part, then told me it was my fault (snort), with one telephone call, Barb had the head of Elfe tripping over himself trying to help me. Even though I really hated that seat (even the new one), I really appreciated her help and DD#2 is getting good use out of the seat as her daycare seat now.

I would call Barb at the number provided. If she's not in, she returns calls quickly. Make sure you have the model/serial #/DOM info in hand. She'll need that to relay to Britax.

Good luck!

bubbaray

If you emailed the regular Transport Canada web mail address you probably won't get a response for a while (if at all). It depends on where it is sent. Email Barb directly - PM me and I'll supply her email for you.

Yes, ditto that. Definitely call and ask to speak with her directly, or do the personal email route. I've had wonderful experiences with Barb returning calls promptly.

ben&jakesmum

I emailed Barb this morning and already got a response. She is quick. So, she has offered to take the seat and replace it. The only crappy thing is, that seat was $300 and I don't want to lose money, KWIM? So, what seat should I have it replaced with?

Jaime

snowbird25ca

I emailed Barb this morning and already got a response. She is quick. So, she has offered to take the seat and replace it. The only crappy thing is, that seat was $300 and I don't want to lose money, KWIM? So, what seat should I have it replaced with?

Jaime

The Radian Premier is $279 and it will still fit your ds provided it installs well in your vehicle.. I hadn't suggested it before because I was thinking more economical replacements. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

If the Frontier installs well in your car, you could go on the idea that this was a manufacturer's defect (you won't know this right away) and get another one..

-Nicole.

ben&jakesmum

What about a Boulevard? I could keep him in it until he requires a booster and then probably sell it and buy a booster?

I am very reluctant to get another Frontier because I don't think it's a manufacturer defect. I think it's just the way the seat is made.

I am worried about Radian install issues.

AHHHH, I am so confused.

snowbird25ca

I wouldn't go BLVD unless he's got a short torso. Top harness height in the blvd is 16.5" at best. Most of the Britax convertibles lose some height room once installed, so pretty high likelihood of it not fitting depending on what his torso is like. (My dd has about a 15.5" torso and is 40.5" tall overall. So that gives you an idea of how much room she'd theoretically have left in it. I've never installed one to see...

I do agree with you that I wouldn't trust a Frontier. If I had one in use right now I would seriously reconsider the safety of it knowing that there have been other reports and that there'd be no way to know if any seat was going to be more prone to it than another. I'm also dissatisfied with Britax's response to it, and it puts some further doubt in my mind about Britax as a brand to be completely honest. :eek:

Why don't you try installing the Radian before crossing it off your list? Some vehicles it is so easy it isn't even funny. :thumbsup:

ben&jakesmum

Hmmm, well I guess the BLVD is out. I am not sure of his torso height but he was very close to outgrowing the MA.

I guess the best option is going to be the Radian. Will the stores let me try it without buying there?

The crappy thing is, my seatbelts are supposed to lock at the latchplate but of course it only does on one side of the car and the belt on his seat is broken. The seatbelt isn't broken but the plastic cover off the plate is, causing it not to lock properly when installing the seats. So, it means I have to use a locking clip :(

I have avoided this issue so far by using LATCH but he is nearing the limit.

But, I would have had to do this with the Frontier anyway so I guess I might as well try my luck with the Radian.

Why can't anything be easy?

snowbird25ca

How close is very close in regards to outgrowing the MA?

Why don't you return to using the MA for now if he still fits it, and just ask if TC will buy the Frontier off of you. Stick with the MA until it's outgrown - some kids will stay the same length torso wise for months and months, and maybe it will actually last until the Nautilus arrives - or maybe they will have the Frontier problem fixed by then? If not, then you have a few months to figure out what the best option is going to be, and if they are willing to buy the seat off you you don't have to feel like you're trying to find another $300 seat since you're giving up a $300 seat IYKWIM?

ben&jakesmum

I sold the MA so we don't have it anymore.

TC won't buy the seat back with cash, they will only send a replacement, which is why I would like to get a seat that is comparible money wise. Otherwise, I am out the extra money.

I am going to go tomorrow and try to install the Radian. It looks like that will be my best bet.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We have been using our Frontier for close to two months now (daily basis, several times in/out per day) and have never had this happen.

Granted, I rarely loosen the harness and when I do, I usually unbuckle only the *crotch strap*. Then I grab the chest clip and pull straight out so both sides of the harness loosen identically. Then I unbuckle the chest clip last and push the straps to the side.

I agree that Britax needs to correct this issue (I wish the straps were the nicer, thicker Marathonesque straps), but I'm not worried about using this seat... especially when I know the issue is pulling only one side of the strap loose at a time.

I still want to see the issue resolved, I'm just not worried about using the seat in the meantime.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC