Update to Frontier harness problem..called Britax

ben&jakesmum

I know, I am probably being over-paranoid but since it's happened to me twice I would just rather not risk it.

Anyway, Barb is going to be sending me a Radian Premier. I probably only need the regular Radian but I want a seat that is comparible in cost to the Frontier since I will most likely be selling it in a year and half or so when he goes into a booster.

Barb is awesome by the way. She responds so fast and is taking this seriously so that' s good. Thanks for putting me on to her.

Jaime

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I know, I am probably being over-paranoid but since it's happened to me twice I would just rather not risk it.

Anyway, Barb is going to be sending me a Radian Premier. I probably only need the regular Radian but I want a seat that is comparible in cost to the Frontier since I will most likely be selling it in a year and half or so when he goes into a booster.

Barb is awesome by the way. She responds so fast and is taking this seriously so that' s good. Thanks for putting me on to her.

Jaime

Glad everything is taken care of, and I don't think you're being overly paranoid - I would feel the same way.

IMO, design problems that are safety hazards aren't the responsibility of the parent to prevent from happening, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to prevent and fix. Maybe your seat does have some anomaly causing the straps to slip off easier, but that's still a problem. And even if the problem is only cropping up when one side is consistently loosened by itself, that doesn't matter - it shouldn't be happening period - no other seat does that (at least not one that hasn't already been recalled for it. ;))

U

Unregistered

I recently purchased a Frontier for my 30 lbs, 2 year old, 29 in son as he was too heavy for rf in his alpha omega,or Scenera.
The issue I'm having is with the chest clip!!! its not going in right, and you have to really force it to get it to click. I called Britax, and they're sending me a new clip. It seems to me like the heat of the car makes the plastic swell or something, because its only ever been an issue on a warmer day.
I'd heard so many good things about Britax, and now, i'm wondering should I have gotten a radian instead?
Its been over the 45 day limit (i think?) so I don't think i can return the seat to TRU... if this keeps up, I may have to look at forking out another small fortune to make sure my monster is safe :)

Wendy
Mommy to Joey (2, Frontier) and Scotty-or-Lexi (Due Oct 24, hopefully a safe seat!!)
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan

QuassEE

The chest clips loosen up over time. This is a normal issue with all two-piece chest clips I've experienced. The Frontier clip is really quite tight, and my kids were upset that they couldn't get themselves out of their harnesses once we stopped. Within a month or two, they were able to undo them themselves again.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

I'm so glad I found this thread (and your previous thread with this issue), I've had the same problem with the Frontier I recently purchased (about 1 month ago). I've had the harness slip off the splitter plate on the same side (right) 3 times in 3 weeks. Called Britax (this was a couple weeks ago), who said they never heard of the problem and suggested either it was an install issue, they could replace the harness, or I should exchange the seat. I also loosen and tighten the harness every time I use it, since I find it easier to get my son in and out.

I had bought 2 Frontiers (2 cars) and so far this has only happened with the Frontier that we use daily. I don't think it's an install issue, I didn't opt for a harness replacement since I wasn't sure that was the issue, and I didn't return the car seat since I really wanted the Frontier to work out and I hadn't found anyone with similar issues until now.

This may be a redundant question, but should I also contact Barb at TC?

FYI, my son is 2.5 yo, 30 lbs and 92 cm. Had to move him out of the RA b/c his little brother needed it. Both seats installed in a 2007 Honda CRV. Other Frontier installed in 2000 VW Jetta.

Mary

hipmaman

I'm so glad I found this thread (and your previous thread with this issue), I've had the same problem with the Frontier I recently purchased (about 1 month ago). I've had the harness slip off the splitter plate on the same side (right) 3 times in 3 weeks. Called Britax (this was a couple weeks ago), who said they never heard of the problem and suggested either it was an install issue, they could replace the harness, or I should exchange the seat. I also loosen and tighten the harness every time I use it, since I find it easier to get my son in and out.

I had bought 2 Frontiers (2 cars) and so far this has only happened with the Frontier that we use daily. I don't think it's an install issue, I didn't opt for a harness replacement since I wasn't sure that was the issue, and I didn't return the car seat since I really wanted the Frontier to work out and I hadn't found anyone with similar issues until now.

This may be a redundant question, but should I also contact Barb at TC?

FYI, my son is 2.5 yo, 30 lbs and 92 cm. Had to move him out of the RA b/c his little brother needed it. Both seats installed in a 2007 Honda CRV. Other Frontier installed in 2000 VW Jetta.

Mary

Mary, contact Barb Baines at TC. Call Britax again and tell Britax that this is a commonly known issue on several online carseat forums (baby centre and c-s.org).

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Yeah - give Barb a call. According to her, Britax has heard of this problem but no one had returned their seat directly to them. She is waiting for one to come in from a complainat which will be sent to them after it's documented. She is always looking for more.....

bubbaray

Is there any update to this thread? I know its a holiday, but I won't be able to post this coming week, so just wondering if someone could post an update?

This just infuriates me. Britax should handle this better from the start, it shouldn't be necessary to get TC involved just so that the customer can be satisfied. :thumbsdown:

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
OK - latest update from TC (holiday, what holiday?). Have been in contact with Britax. They have heard of the problem and want the seat that I am waiting for as they have not been able to procure one yet (look in your stock boys and girls). I bought one yesterday that I will play with and try to replicate the problem while I'm waiting for the one from BC that we replaced. I am meeting with them in Vegas next Sunday so hopefully I will have some definate proof. I don't doubt this is happening, but I have to be able to replicate it before I can start "demanding" anything from the company (have a similar problem with another manufacturer but have only had 1 report). As I get more info, I will keep you all posted.

QuassEE

Does anyone (Trudy??) want to record the attempts and it happening? If we can get a few videos together, Britax won't be able to claim it's not really happening ;)

-Nicole.

QuassEE

I haven't tested, yet.. I need to have a time when I can spend 20 minutes reinstalling the Frontier with the belt in my van..

-Nicole.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
If any one else is having a slippage problem (off the splitter plate) please contact me - I want to check something out with you all. Just PM me and I'll get back to you.

Thanks all!:D

ben&jakesmum

It's really Murphys Law isn't it? It happens to me twice and another lady three times, but when TC tries to replicate the problem, of course it won't happen.

Hopefully they offer a solution to the problem very soon. It makes me more mad that they are being so dismissive of the whole thing.

QuassEE

(Background music playing)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...is to record video footage of the harness coming off the splitter plate on a Frontier and upload it to YouTube for all to see.

(Background music fades)

tcottawa

(Background music playing)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...is to record video footage of the harness coming off the splitter plate on a Frontier and upload it to YouTube for all to see.

(Background music fades)

am I crazy because I almost want to get a frontier to do this???

QuassEE

As mentioned in one of the other forums here--there's the issue of scope. That's probably the biggest challenge, and part of the reason why the members here are such a huge resource when investigating potential flaws in seats. Right now, none of us know just how many seats are affected--a handful, or all. Hopefully we'll have some more information soon enough.

-Nicole.

U

Unregistered

If any one else is having a slippage problem (off the splitter plate) please contact me - I want to check something out with you all. Just PM me and I'll get back to you.

Thanks all!:D

Left a message with Barb @ TC, she's appears to be out of the office until Sep 15. So, I still have the seat with the problem. But I'm new to blogging and don't know what PM is and not sure how to do it. Please advise.

Mary

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC