List of High Weight seats in Canada

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
List of High Weight seats in Canada - FF beyond 40 lbs / RF beyond 30 lbs

Harnessed/booster combination seats in Canada that harness past 40lbs are:
*Britax Frontier (65lbs) (THS 18.25") makes an acceptable booster
*Graco Cargo with upfront adjust(48lbs) makes a poor-ok booster (17" THS)
*Graco Nautilus (65lbs) (THS 18.25") makes an acceptable booster
*Evenflo Chase(16.8" THS)/Vision/Tradition (16" THS) (47lb limit) makes a poor-ok booster
*Evenflo Bolero/Generations (47lb) makes an ok booster (Bolero is $120 at Walmart) (16.5" THS)
*Evenflo Maestro (47lbs FF) (THS: 18") makes an ok/decent booster BUT!!! is outgrown in booster mode about the same time as the harness (low belt guides)
*Evenflo Symphony 65 3-in-1 (30lbsRF/65lbs FF) (THS: 16-17") makes a decent booster
*Cosco Apex (65lb) makes a decent booster ~ (17" THS) requires headrest support
*Dorel/Cosco/Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 (aka AO/AOE) NEW MODELS (35lbsRF/50lbs FF) THS: 17.5" makes a poor booster

Higher weight harnessed (only) seats are:
*Britax Boulevard (65lbs) (THS 17")
*Britax Marathon (65lbs) (17" THS)
*Britax Advocate (65lbs) (17" THS)
*Britax Roundabout50 (50lbs) (17" THS - ?)
*Sunshine Kids Radian (65lbs) (18" THS)
*Evenflo EFTA (47lbs) (17" THS)
*Evenflo Titan (47lbs) (15.5" THS)
*Compass/First Years True Fit (65lbs) (18"THS)
*Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air, only available at TRU at this point (50lbs) (18" THS)
*Graco MyRide (65lbs) (17" THS)

THS=Top Harness Slots

Convertible seats in Canada that RearFace past 30lbs are:
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT model only at this time(35lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian XT (aka XTSL), Premier 2010 models only (45lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian 2010 models (40lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Compass/First Years True Fit (and probably True Fit ARB, currently due to arrive Jan 2010) (35lbs RF / 65lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Britax Advocate (35lbs RF/ 65lbs FF) (17" THS)
*Dorel/Cosco/Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 (aka AO/AOE) NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (17.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Enspira NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (15.5" THS)
*Cosco Scenera NEW MODELS (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (14.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Avenue (35lbs RF / 40lbs FF) (16-16.5" THS)
*Safety 1st Air Protect Complete Air, only available at TRU at this point (40lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (18" THS)
*Britax Roundabout 50 (*note this is not the same as the old roundabout) (35lbs RF / 50lbs FF) (17" THS)
*Graco MyRide (40lbs RF / 65 lbs FF) (17" THS)

Infant bucket seats in Canada that have a limit over 22lbs are:
*Graco SafeSeat1 (30lbs) (replaced by SnugRide32, some stock still available in stores though)
*Graco SnugRide32 (32lbs)

Last edited by a moderator:

dogmelissa

On an entirely weird tangent, I find the SK Radian info to be *very* confusing. First it says XT Model only is RF to 35lbs then it says right below it the XT (aka XTSL) is RF to 45lbs. Can it be re-written or something to make it clearer?
Are there still any 'old' models available? ie can the 35lb XT be removed from this list if it's not available any more?

Melissa

U

Unregistered

The Evenflo Triumph 65 is a harness-only seat that is a weight limit of 65lbs now.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Some of you may have noticed that the original thread in this sticky has not been updated to reflect new seats available in the Canadian market. Trudy, Tam and I haven't been updating the master list at the top of this thread, for a number of reasons--primarily: Most seats available in Canada now reflect the greater range of weight limits and allowances as those in the US market (with the exception of the seats above 65lbs, and weight alone is generally less of an issue in Canada as compared to heights). I'd love some feedback on this thread and whether or not members feel that it's really no longer necessary as a sticky. If you can come up with some good arguments, the Moderators will discuss what to do with this information..otherwise, I'm thinking that we can make way for future relevant information in the sticky pile.

Feel free to discuss in this thread. If we decide to keep the sticky and continue to add new HWH seats to the thread, I can remove the discussion comments once a decision is reached. I suspect that most of us can agree that this thread is no longer necessary as a sticky.

-Nicole.

featherhead

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary. If anything, we could make a list of seats with low weights (AKA avoid these seats list) lol:p Just kidding of course:)

mommycat

I love this sticky! :( I always direct people here as a starting point if I don't have time to go into a discussion when they ask. I think it would be great to add a section for low-weight seats for preemies, and maybe something about the preferred booster choices in terms of typically good fit and well-performing belt guides. The relative "rating" of good vs poor etc booster combo seats is nice to have at a single glance.

snowbird25ca

My biggest thoughts on it are that the data within it will remain searchable - so it's not going to disappear.

And in the end, parents still need to go in to a store and try their child in the seat and the seat in their vehicle. The list is a starting point, but it's not really geared towards a person's own circumstance and it would truly be preferable and better for them to ask a question on the forum - even if it was as an unregistered user.

There's just not the same need for it anymore as there was when it was started - when almost every seat available is being listed on it it doesn't really have a purpose anymore.

LittlePeanut

I personally use this as a reference frequently and direct parents to it as well. I like that although it lists almost all car seats (and perhaps it should list ALL available in Canada not just HWH?) and I can then compare the various seats before narrowing down my search to specific models.

Does that make sense? I mean, yeah I can add it as a favourite thread so *I* always have access but some parents won't bother with a search to find the relevant info, yk?

mommycat

Sometime when I have a moment I will try to do up an updated version again and PM it to a mod. Unless someone else wants to do it. It seems the only way to get it updated lately is to do the full updated list so the mod can just replace the old info - taht works. :thumbsup:

If we do lose the sticky status, just memorize the thread number and jot it down for the parents - I had started doing this anyway because I wasn't very good at explaining how to find the Canadian forum to begin with...
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36056
You can either give them the whole link, or tell them to come to c-s.org and use the "google custom search" bar at the top of the forum to search for "36056". OR if you type "36056 car seat" in to google, the top result is this thread.

QuassEE

The HWH list hasn't been updated, correct--but not for lack of effort or time on the part of the moderators. It's difficult not to believe maintaining the list is a bit of a moot effort. The vast majority of seats available in Canada are now what we would have previously defined as being "higher weight harnessed" seats (either extended rear-facing and/or forward facing limits >40lbs).. Non-HWH seats have become the exception, and are no longer the rule.

Add all of this to the fact that the vast majority of seats in the US market are now available in Canada, with (in most cases) the same or nearly identical limits. When the list was first authored, it was extremely useful in that it reflected the seats that were available in Canada at the time. As we slowly added to the list, it became a close mirror of a similar US compilation.

For this reason, it seems to make sense to abandon updating the list. I suspect it will be de-stickied to address the fact that it is no longer up to date. But, considering the moderators are here primarily to facilitate users' needs, you can always PM the moderators with any valid arguments for keeping the sticky (and keeping it up-to-date).

-Nicole.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I don't usually use this list as I do the list of seats available in Canada. I use that list a lot to give to parents as it has the top harness slot measurement. I always encourage them to look at weight limits and top slots when picking so that list is nice to have handy at the top of the page. Coming from a small town of 7,000 people and having to drive 1.5hrs through farmland to get to a store that sells good baby seats it is nice to have the homework done before hand.
Nicole you know. My friends own subway and we don't even have a White Spot in our province!

dogmelissa

I can see the point in the argument for losing this sticky and I'm ok with it AS LONG as the "all" seats in Canada thread is kept up to date AND if the THS info could also be added to the "all" thread.

I understand that mods don't have a ton of time and that's fine - there's enough people in the forum that can help keep things updated. I just think that there's enough unique information in this thread that it should at least be transferred over to the other thread (for those that don't already have it - I see that some do have THS listed).

Sort of on that same topic, perhaps the lowest harness slot height could also be added, particularly for the infant and convertible seats, so that parents of preemies or multiples will have a better idea if their child(ren) will fit.

Melissa

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I can see the point in the argument for losing this sticky and I'm ok with it AS LONG as the "all" seats in Canada thread is kept up to date AND if the THS info could also be added to the "all" thread.

I understand that mods don't have a ton of time and that's fine - there's enough people in the forum that can help keep things updated. I just think that there's enough unique information in this thread that it should at least be transferred over to the other thread (for those that don't already have it - I see that some do have THS listed).

Sort of on that same topic, perhaps the lowest harness slot height could also be added, particularly for the infant and convertible seats, so that parents of preemies or multiples will have a better idea if their child(ren) will fit.

Melissa
I agree. The only problem with keeping it update is that eventually the original poster doesn't have access to keep editing the post. I made the original list of seats available in Canada but I can no longer edit to add so then it is left up to a mod.

QuassEE

Jewels--did you want to do as above, and I'll shift things around? If you copy and paste the text into a PM to me, and then edit it and send it to me, I can just copy and paste it over the existing information in the thread. That takes me like.. two seconds, unlike actually updating the thread myself.

Do you have time to do this? Since, really, it has been your baby all along :)

-N.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Jewels--did you want to do as above, and I'll shift things around? If you copy and paste the text into a PM to me, and then edit it and send it to me, I can just copy and paste it over the existing information in the thread. That takes me like.. two seconds, unlike actually updating the thread myself.

Do you have time to do this? Since, really, it has been your baby all along :)

-N.

For the other thread or to combine them? If we combine them do we still need seperate headings with the HWH and the RF past 30lbs? Or would just the seats with top slots and weight limits work?

snowbird25ca

I think - in an ideal update sort of way - that it should be one thread with seats available in Canada.

Post #1 - infant only seats
Post #2 - infant/child seats
Post #3 - child/booster seats
Post #4 - booster seats

Simple format
example - Evenflo Embrace, 5 to 22lbs and up to 29".
Graco My Ride - RF 5 to 40lbs, FF 22lbs and walking unassisted to 65lbs. 17" THS.

And actually - if it's simple that way, then maybe can stick them in the same post - it would just be easier to edit if it's multiple posts - less to scroll through.

I think basic height and weight limits, is fine - top harness height and slot info can all be referenced from the US database info. Perhaps a note for the infant/child seats of those that have bottom harness slots low enough to fit a newborn. It's safe to say that any 4lb minimum seat is suitable for a preemie.

I do think though since some of our height and weight limits are still different than the US, that listing the labeled height and weight limits is useful. I do think though that only current models should be listed, no history. So not "original MA" and "MA 65" for example - only what's on store shelves right now.

In the end - and this has been my issue with the thread in part - top harness slot is a starting point but it's not an absolute. Measuring torso height isn't a science for one thing, and for another, kids don't fit seats the same way seats measure - and measuring slot height isn't a science either.

So I think the only potential benefit to listing top harness height is that it's a starting point - parents could cross off some seats like the comfort sport and titan without bothering to try them - otherwise most seats are tall enough to get to booster age now, and the best advice is still to try the child in the seat at the store and try the seat in the vehicle.

I feel very strongly that the list should be a starting point and not a complete resource because at the end of the day parents still need to make sure the seat fits their child, fits their vehicle, and is easy to use correctly. And no list or measuring tape can guarantee that. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC