Scenera rear facing weight limit

AllieCanada

Sorry if this was posted already but I was at Walmart last night and I went down the car seat isle to check the weight limit on the Scenera. The new ones that are in the bag have a card on them that does say Rearfacing 5-35 lbs and forward facing to 40 lbs. I got all excited thinking that they were good up to 35 lbs but I made sure I checked the actual seat. I looked to make sure it had the Canadian sticker on it and I read the stickers on the side of the seat and it's only good rear facing up to 30 lbs. I wonder if Cosco is aware that they have the wrong information on their car seats being sold in Canada. Someone could read only that one piece of paper and not think to check the actual seat itself. I wasn't able to read the manual but I'm sure it would say 5-30lbs as well. Does anyone know how to contact Cosco to let them know of their error?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Allie, PM Hipmaman, she knows the lady from TC who's a defect investigator so she'll know the channels to go through to report it. Transport Canada will actually have to issue a consumer information notice that the hang tags are incorrect. This happened in the past once with some evenflo booster seats that had the US 30lb limit on the hang tag.

There'll be a phone # for dorel on the side of the seat on the stickers, Transport Canada still needs to be made aware of this though so they can issue a notice to parents. Retailers will also be supplied with the correct hang tag or else asked to remove the 35lb tag from their seats in stock.

Thanks for posting this. I'd checked the stickers on the seat at our wal-mart, but it hadn't had hang tag so didn't notice that.

(I know how to report defects I see in person at check's, but have no clue the channels to go through for this particular issue, so that's why I'm suggesting pm'ing hipmaman. :))

QuassEE

You can actually call Transport Canada directly:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/contact-us.htm
..but they will want the numbers (lot/serial) off the seat.

When you speak to them, you state that you want to "report a child restraint non-compliance issue".

I've never had to go through the process, myself, however. If you do call, I would be curious as to how TC responds.

-Nicole.

hipmaman

Got it! I remember yrs back an Evenflo came with the same conflicting weight limit and TC/Evenflo had to pull them off the shelves. I'll contact TC. If I have a chance to go to W-mart, I'll take pictures too. But if anyone has pix, send them to me (save me lugging a 4 mo old out in the cold)

shauburg

I went to my Wal-Mart last night and there is a definite error on English RF labels on the Pink Sceneras there (Model 22123CCAD). Not in the pics, but DOM was 12 23 2008. Sorry, did not get the serial number, but could do later this week.

Pink Scenera Package Label - under the pink seat with the 1 it does say RF to 35lb.
picture.php

Pink Scenera French RF Label - 35 lb.
picture.php

Pink Scenera English RF Label - 30 lb.
picture.php

The Black Sceneras (Model 22123 CRMD) were correctly labelled. DOM was also 12 23 2008.

Black Scenera Package Label - under the pink seat with the 1 it does say RF to 35lb.
picture.php

Black Scenera French RF Label - 35 lb.
picture.php

Black Scenera English RF Label - 35 lb.
picture.php

snowbird25ca

LOL Shauna, we must've just missed each other. :p

Assuming that you were at the west end wal-mart and saw the same seat I did, the instruction manual does state 35lbs rf'ing weight limit through out, so there's no error in the manual - just the English sticker.

hipmaman

I'll tell TC of the inconsistent labelling.

ETA: We can expect a recall on some model as TC is working on it. Btw, I have to say that I'm loving how quick and responsive TC has been recently. But I think online communities like ours must have greatly contributed to that as it is certainly easier for TC to pick up on issues and focus on resolution. But not to take away from TC and probably its change in mandate on CRS matters. Way to go for TC!!!

snowbird25ca

ETA: We can expect a recall on some model as TC is working on it. Btw, I have to say that I'm loving how quick and responsive TC has been recently. But I think online communities like ours must have greatly contributed to that as it is certainly easier for TC to pick up on issues and focus on resolution. But not to take away from TC and probably its change in mandate on CRS matters. Way to go for TC!!!

ITA Tam! I think it's wonderful to see these issues being caught and dealt with so quickly. And it's made even better by having a TC employee on the site. :D

eta: If the Dec 26 is correct on the pink ones, Cosco obviously realized the label mistake pretty quick I'm guessing?

featherhead

eta: If the Dec 26 is correct on the pink ones, Cosco obviously realized the label mistake pretty quick I'm guessing?

That's what I'm thinking. I guess as they were in the process of switching labels and stickers somehow it didn't all happen at the right time.
The first time I saw them I didn't check the stickers on the pink ones, but I have since then, and they were correct.

Shanora

All the pink ones I looked at, at my wal-mart had the 30 pound limit, and all the dark colored ones I looked at had the 35 pound limit. Mind you I never thought to look at the french lables. They all had the same DOM though. I do have 2 model numbers if you need them. I also have pictures but my phone is boing stupid and wont let me upload them for whatever the reason.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor

Thanks to all of you helping us!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC