Radian and SUV shopping...

starglowz

I want to replace my POS with an SUV. With my price range the years I'm looking at are about 1998-2003's. I don't want to buy a beast as I only have 2 children but I also don't want to buy something the radian isn't going to work in. Can anyone give me a list of cars NOT to look at because I really don't want a new seat for my son he LOVES his "circle seat".

My kids are:
DD- 8years old, 58lbs. Riding in a HBTB or Evenflo AMP NB (her 1st choice)
DS- 2.5years old, 36lbs. Riding in a Radian80 RF (I'm ok to turn him around in the new car since he is in a growth spurt).

The cars I'm considering:
Suzuki Grand Vitara/XL-7
Kia Sportage
Jeep Liberty
Nissan xTerra
Land Rover Discovery (its big but I love it)
Ford Escape (if I can find one with low miles)
Anything else in this size range.

I just want to know what cars to say NO to when I'm speaking with a salesman.

ADS

Oliver79

I can't speak to the Radian issue as I have never had one. However, I had a Discovery for 8 years. I absolutely loved it! I miss it every day. That being said, I would not buy another one, particularly a used one, as my daily driver.

The gas mileage sucks. I had a 2003, and the MPG on the sticker was 10 in town and 14 highway. They are also VERY expensive to fix. Many of the things we would do ourselves were harder to do with this vehicle. When we began having transmission problems we sold it on the recommendation of 2 ex Land Rover mechanics. They also tend to have a lot of little issues. Most of mine were fixes when it was still under warranty, but things still popped up occasionally.

It was fine with the one kid I had at the time, but not a easy as it could have been. The back seat sits up pretty high, and the back door doesn't open all that wide so getting kids in and out can be annoying. Of course, I am short so If you are taller it might be easier. The backseat was also fairly narrow in my opinion. Somebody else may have more experience with this than me, but I can't really imagine a 3rd person being able to rise in the back with 2 car seats.

If we get to a position where we could have one just for fun as a backup vehicle I will get one in a heartbeat, but not as a primary vehicle.

Phineasmama

I absolutely LOVE my Honda CR-V for only two kids. I wouldn't get it again knowing that I would have 3 kids though.

Radian works fine with an angle adjuster, at least in the newer models, my seats are really flat.

love-pink

I'm not sure what your price range is but the 2011+ dodge journeys are nice! I feel like I got a lot of car for my money and the radian fits like a glove!!

cupcakepirate11

Are you set on an SUV?
I love!! My Toyota Corolla its gotten me across the country, multiple other long drives, through a decent amount of snow with winter tires of course. Gas mileage is great, no major problems yet knock on wood.

I fit three kids in the back and a teen upfront.

Just an idea :)
Pps the radian fits great with the aa

emntheboys

I had a '99 Explorer and it was like the Radian was made for it. Seriously, so easy. Even though I love my Pilot, I still get a little teary eyed when I remember how easy that Radian was in the Explorer.

starglowz

Thank you everyone for the responses...

Yes I am set on an SUV. I don't want to bottom out driving over snow and I have a bad back that makes it hard to get my sleeping toddler out of cars. And he always falls asleep after 15 minutes in the car. Having room for a 3rd carseat is something I would prefer but not a deal breaker.

Off to check out the Explorer.

cupcakepirate11

What about a Honda Pilot? Or a Subaru?

I live out in the cascade mountains, lots of snow! I totally get the back pain from heaving a kid into their seat.

I have found the Radian worked well for us in a Ford Escape (rental), and our Santa Fe (both RF). If the Santa Fe is too long, they also make a Tuscon which is comparable in size to the Escape. Yes, sorry, I am biased towards Hyundai, we have 2 we love :)

Sent from my MB860 using Car-Seat.Org

rosey2007

I have found the Radian worked well for us in a Ford Escape (rental), and our Santa Fe (both RF). If the Santa Fe is too long, they also make a Tuscon which is comparable in size to the Escape. Yes, sorry, I am biased towards Hyundai, we have 2 we love :)

Sent from my MB860 using Car-Seat.Org

Hyundai's are great

tmahanes

I have had my radian in an explorer probably about a 2003, a highlander 2007 and 2012, daily it is in my sequoia and i love it!

RiahS

My RXT is RF passenger outboard in our '05 Expedition and the fit is fantastic. The front passenger seat can slide almost all the way back (using the angle adjuster)

Rosey

I'd cross the Discovery off the list. My DH loved them, but their maintenance track record is terrible and the crash test ratings are poor as well.

VoodooChile

I have a Pilot (2006, so not the most recent body style). It handles well in the snow for me. I've had a Radian both rf and ff. It's always gone in well rf (AA made it too upright); ff is finicky. Sometimes I get a good install. Sometimes I want to hurl it down the street.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC