When are you comfortable with high back booster DAILY use?

Marvin711

I have a tall (almost) 8 year old. He is 63 pounds without clothing. He outgrew all our harnessed seats about 18 months ago. (Radian, Frontier). I am 5'4" and he is up to my chin, the kid has done major growing this year. The Vivo is becoming too tight across the shoulders, he is quite broad there. All that to just to give you a rough idea on size, since I don't really know how tall he is!

So he has been in a high back booster (Vivo, Parkway) for quite some time. I have even found a few seating positions that he 5 steps in...of course not comfortable with that yet though! But, he has asked recently about when he can get out of HBB around town. He still wants the wings for sleeping on trips! :) I think I am ok with it. He has been in one on occasion here and there with grandparents and in carpool setups. He sits very well. So I am not concerned about his ability to sit well, more about the safety aspect. He seems so, well, unprotected when I see him sitting in one, especially outboard. When he is between his sisters big seats he still looks surrounded so I don't notice it that much. I know that the car and airbag system are designed to protect and that their protection will start to factor in at this point.

And if consensus is he would be fine...thoughts? I am looking at Clek and Diono because of latching capabilities. Although... the Oobr while high back...might feel more big kid/comfy and maybe he would do that?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are you asking about backless boosters for daily use?

We intend to use high-backs regularly until outgrown. If they're not outgrown by ten, I'd allow full-time backless use, I think.

I'm fine with carpool use of a backless (or travel, etc.) well before that.

Baylor

I would give him lbb and not think twice. As long as it fits him well and in a good place in car.

VoodooChile

We've used a hbb daily since age 5. We don't use a backless yet except for carpooling, but I think I'll let her at age 8.

Marvin711

Yes, daily use of backless booster. High back would still be used on extended road trips. In some ways, I guess the Vivo could be considered outgrown...because of the issue with him being so broad across the shoulders. But he could still use Parkway.

What would be best position? I could put him center of 3rd row in van? Is that best to be further away from point of impact and airbags?

MomToEliEm

My DD is 8. Yesterday, she asked DH if he could take the back off the monterey in his truck. He asked me and I said it was okay as long as they weren't going long distances. I probably won't take it off in my car as she seems to fall asleep anytime I drive her anywhere over 20 minute. If she wasn't such a car sleeper, I wouldn't mind her being in a no back booster in my car.

Marvin711

My DD is 8. Yesterday, she asked DH if he could take the back off the monterey in his truck. He asked me and I said it was okay as long as they weren't going long distances. I probably won't take it off in my car as she seems to fall asleep anytime I drive her anywhere over 20 minute. If she wasn't such a car sleeper, I wouldn't mind her being in a no back booster in my car.

That is kind of how I feel. He isn't much of a car sleeper except when we are going on long trips. I am NOT comfortable with him sleeping in a backless at this point. But leaning towards letting him try a LBB for a while, until he gives me a reason not to let him:)

Phineasmama

DD is 5.5 and we just recently started using a HBB. I'm sure by 8 she will be fine in a LBB, although we might still use a HB if we're going on a long trip.

Kat_Momof3

he sounds very tall... if he's at your chin, he'd be at my shoulder... that's when my kids were 5-stepping in my van, too... in their dad's car it took longer. I'd be fine with him backless for most trips... it will help transition him.

I'd probably not go with the oobr because he is already so tall... the parkway is taller than it.

I'd get him a nice backless booster and put the highback in for long trips.

stephpook

My oldest will be 9 on Monday and started asking this summer if he could ride in a backless booster in our van, which is his main ride (he's been in a backless in my husband's car and in other cars for at least the last year). I told him when he turned 9. He's 54" (I know only because he was just barely tall enough to ride the big coasters at Islands of Adventure last week). Not sure on his weight though. He'll be riding home 5+ hours from my in-laws tomorrow in a backless Turbo because his Monterey doesn't fit in their Juke. I'll be interested to see if he still wants to go to the backless after that.

kater-tot82

DD was 8 for full time backless use (closer to 9), 7 for part time backless use. She still uses her Monterey with the back for long trips bc she says it is more comfortable.

I would be fine with it at your son's age and size. Most kids are out of boosters here as soon as they turn 8, so if backless makes DD complain less about still being in a booster, I can compromise with her there :)

jacqui276

I would be comfortable with him in a backless booster for full time use. My daughter is 8 and is similar in size (61lbs and probably a couple inches shorter than your son) and rides in a backless booster. She doesn't sleep in the car though.

Just make sure that you put it in a seating position with proper head support (headrest at or above the top of his ears).

bnsnyde

I plan to use the highbacks until they are outgrown, as I see no reason not to. I don't know how old they'll be, 10, 11, 12? A tall high back until it does not fit. Then a low back only if no highbacks fit.

Marvin711

bnsnyde said:
I plan to use the highbacks until they are outgrown, as I see no reason not to. I don't know how old they'll be, 10, 11, 12? A tall high back until it does not fit. Then a low back only if no highbacks fit.

So your suggestion would be to continue to buy more HBB, perhaps replacing his Vivo at this point with a wider seat? Like Monterey or another Parkway? Is your reasoning from a safety standpoint or convenience/personal preference? Is there any crash testing or stats comparing older kids in LBB vs. HBB?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Besides those US studies, I know that side impact benefits have been found in European testing, which is why I prefer high-back until outgrown whenever possible for "normal" use (though I'm fine with backless for part-time/travel/carpool use.)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter outgrew one of her highbacks at 9.25 and I switched her to backless in all vehicles at that age, at her request.

I personally would not buy a new highbacked booster for a kid over 8ish, just as I would not buy a new rearfacing seat for a kid over 3ish or a new harnessed seat for a kid over 6ish (unless there were extenuating circumstances, etc.).

bnsnyde

I prefer high-back for safety. If the European testing found benefits, I guess I won't complain. :) I just see no reason not to use it.

Frontier85 SICT as a booster, or Prosport, vs. a backless, I would not choose the backless because both of those first 2 seats have some very visible side protection (that I can only see helping, studies or not). And I'm not sure those seats were studied? Maybe they were, I'm not sure.

The Frontier is a tall booster so would last a long time. Not sure I'd need to actually buy anything else. But sure, if needed for travel I'd use one (backless) for an older child.

kam1011

I've never really understood the argument for primary vehicle, secondary vehicle, travel, etc. You can get in an accident just as easily while traveling as you can in your own car. Probably even easier if you factor in driving an unfamiliar vehicle and an unfamiliar area. Either it's a good option or it's not.

I'm not a tech, but I would put your kid in a backless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC