installation question and check

lourdes

I try to install a Radian in a 97 Aurora and it was impossible, RF FF center or outboard becuase the buckle was always on the way. So I did the CA 65 in the center with lap belt only RF, it is a good install but to be able to get the buckle out with the way I had to make 4 twist and I know that's not allow. So I wanted opinions from here on that issue, and if the installation looks right.

ADS

monstah

If you don't twist the buckle at all does the buckle go all of the way into the belt path?

You can't twist the belt 4 times and that angle doesn't look good IMO for a tilt lock.

lourdes

In the Radian it did went in but it got the Radian too upright and it was without the angle adjuster. In the CA it didn't went in the belt path. How bad can it be in I install the CA FF with lap belt only? I wanted to have her RF until I got the top tether install but I don't know when is going to happen and now she is complaining of getting car sick. She is 4y 4m and weight 31 pounds and her height is 39 inches.

lourdes

It was almost in a 90 degree angle. Without the angle adjuster. It was like the seat was "eating" the Radian, is difficult to for me to explain.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It was almost in a 90 degree angle. Without the angle adjuster. It was like the seat was "eating" the Radian, is difficult to for me to explain.

You can adjust the angle of the Radian using the rfing tether. Maybe that will get you a tight install with a better angle.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
A top tether is always preferred, and in some locations and cases (such as over a certain weight with certain seats) is required. HOWEVER, if you are not in a country in which top tethers are required, you are not required to use one. In fact, the Radian supposedly performed fairly well without a top tether.

Are there any other seats that will install in your vehicle?

Do you have any top tether anchors?

lourdes

I have a Radian and a CA65 but I was not able to get the Radian installed in any position becuase of the weird buckle. The only seat that I have to work with is the CA. My DD weights 31 pounds on a good day.

lourdes

carseatcoach said:
If it has four twists, it is not a great, or even acceptable, install.

So that means that it is better to have her FF without top tether with lap belt only than having her RF with 4 twits?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you get an acceptable install FF? If so, I guess that's your option. Though I'd revisit the rear-facing install without twists and see if you can't make that work (even if outboard?)

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
Can you get an acceptable install FF? If so, I guess that's your option. Though I'd revisit the rear-facing install without twists and see if you can't make that work (even if outboard?)

Outboard the buckle won't twist. I haven't try the FF but I think it will be fine becuase the CA has a higher profile. I will retry the installations later today. I don't have to use the car until tomorrow.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
So that means that it is better to have her FF without top tether with lap belt only than having her RF with 4 twits?

Yes, proper use trumps everything. If you cannot get an acceptable install rear-facing, and four twists is not acceptable, then the child is better off forward-facing if the install is acceptable. She is of an appropriate age and size to forward-face. It would be best if you could get a top tether installed.

monstah

ketchupqueen said:
The outboard buckle doesn't twist and is... long and rigid? Or what?

I just looked on Cars.com and that looks like the case. (Pic attached)

OP, can you recline the CA to the max 45 degrees rear facing center using noodles or rolled towels? That might get the belt path high enough so the buckle only needs three twists.
And remember it only has to be installed with less than 1" of movement at the belt path. If you go for rock the car solid, that will compress the vehicle seat even more and bring the belt path too low.
I hope that helps!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC