My email from Recaro

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Me:
It has recently been brought to my attention that the Recaro ProBooster requires vehicle head support behind the ProBooster at all times. This is not in the manual of my ProBooster. As a matter of fact, my manual states the vehicle head rest can be removed to get a better installation. The vehicle that my ProBoosters are in is an older pick up truck with no head rests.

What I need to know is, does the ProBooster require the use of head rests? If so, when did this change take effect? And is it retroactive? If it is, why have Recaro ProBooster owners not been notified of this change? And lastly, if this is correct, then is Recaro willing to accept return of my ProBoosters and offer me a full refund since I clearly won't be able to use them.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Recaro:
Please follow the ProBooster child restraint manual and your vehicle owner’s manual. We would like you to install the ProBooster per the manual and to first install with the vehicle head restraint and (if needed) the vehicle fitment bar to fill the gap. If the booster does not have a good fit and you need to remove the vehicle head restraint then please do so to install in the vehicle.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
According to that, it means they prefer it with a head rest, but if it prevents a proper install then it is fine to use without one. No mention of towels, ears etc. So, again I say, follow the manual for your particular seat. Mine says I can remove the head rest, then I can use it without a head rest.

And just an FYI, this is the same woman who responded to Baylor.

Baylor

So ridiculous. I'm using mine only with headrest but am not happy about this response. Thinking of getting rid of it because they now annoy me.

auto correct hates me

a09

I had a bad and useless conversation with Recaro a few weeks ago. We now own no recaro seats.

nmb

Sounds like they didn't even read your email before responding (since you stated your vehicle does not have head rests, and they came back with "install with head rests first")

christineka

Sounds like they didn't even read your email before responding (since you stated your vehicle does not have head rests, and they came back with "install with head rests first")

The same thing with my first email. They responded by just including the probooster manual.

It sounds to me like the rep asked the engineer, who decided the safest way to protect against a rear-impact was to have the vehicle headrest as support. Then the rep came back and said that the seat needed to have head support. Now they've probably realized that vehicle head support is not always feasible, so have changed their stance to recommend, but not require it. I wish car seat companies would take the time to think and discuss policies before they change the rules so they don't waffle around.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm sure they just had an email go out to every CSR to 'tell customers to follow the manual, for crying out loud'.

What the heck is... "and (if needed) the vehicle fitment bar to fill the gap"

Vehicle fitment bar?

Pixels

joolsplus3 said:
I'm sure they just had an email go out to every CSR to 'tell customers to follow the manual, for crying out loud'.

What the heck is... "and (if needed) the vehicle fitment bar to fill the gap"

Vehicle fitment bar?

You probably think of it as a recline bar. It somewhat unique to the ProBooster.

Kat_Momof3

well good... I'd already had to turn mine backwards again.. having that angled headrest forwards was making mine tippy (and I can understand why)... not tippy enough to really bug Ruthie, but it bugged me because before it didn't wiggle at all and I don't like angled headrests pushing against seats... Now at least I won't be stuck moving her out of it when it has to go taller and is higher than the backwards headrest :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC