Vent Never new a mutual friend was a CST

onegirly

I met a lady, Beth at a ladies group and have spent quite a few months with her in the group. I recently learned she was a CST when another lady, Ann and I decided we wanted to carpool with our children. I ERF my 2yr old and my friend Ann has a 3yr old and uses a high backer booster. I have never carpooled another child who is in a car seat or booster in my car. Now Beth has already dissed both of our seats ..mine a Lamaze TFP and Ann's an Eddie Bauer. She says both are not up to her standards and feels there are safer seats IE. Radian and Britax we could be using. I was shocked to hear this from her. I did let her now I did very extensive research, bought two seat I returned and was on the carseat.org boards for weeks deciding on my seat for my child. I will be seeing her soon and we even discussed her looking at my install. I'm not sure I want to go there. I do support anyone who puts the time and heart into becoming a CST so I'm not knocking it. I was just offended at her quick to judge comment or that I had no clue on car seat safety and selection of car seat use. Honestly I will do or buy whatever is necessary to keep my as safe as possible in my car. :confused:

ADS

Jessica61624

That's too bad she's so close minded. The true fit is a great seat. Is you're actually using a hbb for the 3 year old or is she still in the harness?

onegirly

Re: Never knew a mutual friend was a CST

I love my TFP !! I actually have been thinking of getting another one my bac up seat for Grandparents.

Ann uses the harness on the EB seat.

mommycat

Re: Never knew a mutual friend was a CST

Yes, unfortunately some people have their preferred brand and do not have an open mind to other seats. They may not be up to "her standards" but they have passed the Federal standards so that is all that matters. While I have the seats I prefer and the seats I dislike, I try very hard not be a carseat snob. If the seat fits and has the features needed and the parent is happy, then there is no reason to tell them they could ("should") have done "better". Too bad - maybe you can open her mind to the TFP.

Is the EB your friend uses a 3in1? Those tend to make pretty bad boosters for most kids (don't fit well). If she is using the harness though, it is fine. Just let her know about the booster issue. And also some models had an unusable/unsafe (for the harness) top headrest position that was just for booster mode, so she should check for that.

jeminijad

I think I'd tell her that being a brand snob does not keep kids safe.

And then ask if she is an engineer who runs crash testing for NHTSA and has seen how the seats perform. Because surely, she wouldn't just spout off unsubstantiated nonsense that could actually prevent some parents from using a safe seat that fits their child, their vehicle and their budget.

An elitist snob is an elitist snob, no matter what acronyms come after their name.

onegirly

I will definitely share my love for the TFP with her, maybe she doesn't know much about it ???
As for my friend I am carpooling with is there anything I should check before driving, as it is my first time with another car seat riding child in my car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That and those seats can be hard to install properly- make sure you can get 1” or less movement at the path where the belt goes through when you tug back to front and side to side there, before tightening the top tether. :)

embassykh

I would tell her how much your Premier retails for, then maybe she would think it was safe.:D

I wouldn't feel comfortable driving around a child that young in a HBB.

Phineasmama

She's already said the 3yo is in an Eddie bauer convertible with the harness, but it's one that converts to a booster.

kam1011

If you're going to be carpooling regularly, I'd consider picking up an extra, inexpensive seat so that you can leave it installed. Seats that are moved around frequently have a higher chance of being installed incorrectly (mistakenly). Not that you HAVE to, by any means.

And about the TFP: I'd guess she just doesn't really know what it is, but doesn't like the name "Lamaze" because it's not Britax. (or Diono, that's kind of random...)

mominabigtruck

I wouldn't drive with a 3yo in a booster in my car so I would tell her she either needs to pony up a harnessed seat or it's a no go on the carpooling. Just because people get to be stupid in their own cars does mean that you should be liable when they're with you.

I'd tell your friend that she's being a j****** and by saying stuff like that it just shows how UNeducated she is about passenger safety. Maybe she should spend a little more time checking out the boards and actually learning something so she could help parents and not just judge them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:

Phineasmama

I wouldn't drive with a 3yo in a booster in my car so I would tell her she either needs to pony up a harnessed seat or it's a no go on the carpooling. Just because people get to be stupid in their own cars does mean that you should be liable when they're with you.

The 3yo is harnessed, but the CPST friend is being all judgy about the brand of seat he's in.

Athena

She's already said the 3yo is in an Eddie bauer convertible with the harness, but it's one that converts to a booster.

But she started out saying the kid is in a high back booster and that's where the confusion is happening. :) I know I had the EEk reaction reading that too. I'm glad to see he's actually harnessed.

I haven't read anything good about those Eddie Bauer seats, but the TFP is a great seat and instead she should have been praising you for doing a great job keeping your 2 yo ERF ... and for your friend keeping her 3 yo harnessed. You both deserve praise!

onegirly

I have a Safety 1st onside air we used before in my husbands car for my son rf ..could I use that seat for the 3yr old ff instead of her EB seat.

Phineasmama

But she started out saying the kid is in a high back booster and that's where the confusion is happening. :) I know I had the EEk reaction reading that too. I'm glad to see he's actually harnessed.

I haven't read anything good about those Eddie Bauer seats, but the TFP is a great seat and instead she should have been praising you for doing a great job keeping your 2 yo ERF ... and for your friend keeping her 3 yo harnessed. You both deserve praise!

I know, that's why I was trying to clear that up so people wouldn't worry so much :)

Now, I would definitely tell the mom of the 3yo boy that the Eddie Bauer seat does NOT make a good booster. But as far as a harnessed seat he's perfectly safe right now!

Phineasmama

They are both perfectly safe as long as he fits in the seat with the harness slots at or above his shoulders.

The PP was just trying to say that it might be safer if you have an extra seat that you can install in your car for him and leave it installed in there, as opposed to reinstalling his seat every single time he rides with you.

Brianna

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but a concern with the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 seats is that for some models, the top headrest position is not usable in harness mode. I would just have your friend double check on that if he's on the top setting, or before she moves him to it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC