Radian Successful Install Thread

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK

2nd row bench seats

Rf - outboard LATCH SOLID
FF - outboard, seatbelt, SOLID
FF - middle, seatbelt, solid. - Jen posted this one already. ;)

(I'm a tech.)

Last edited:
ADS

kimk2230

2003 chevy venture
seatbelt, top tether, bench seats, I had to twist the belt stalk and recline the seat to get a solid install

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
Installed with latch, solid install
Installed with seatbelt and top tether, had to recline the seat to get a solid install

All are FF.

Morganthe

Radian 65 - DOM, Sept-Oct 2006
Used only FF & with 'recline mode' (base popped out)
No LATCH connectors.

1996 VW Jetta Trek
installed center rear with lapbelt + top tether.
1x twist on female end of buckle helped center it more.
Rock solid installation. No difficulties. :thumbsup:

1999 Toyota Camry
installed center rear w. 3pt seatbelt, no top tether available at the time.
1x twist = tight install
2x twist = centered seat more between the outboard positions.
Rock solid installation. :thumbsup:

ts_peach

1991 Honda Accord
Lapbelt Center postion seatbelt FF and RF- stalk twisted 1 1/2 times i believe. good installs
Outboard Seatbelt FF and RF- good installs when stalk is twisted 1 1/2 times to.

Would appear we can fit three across no problem (didn't have a third radian to try them all FF or two FF and center RF but I did have a snugride, RF center Radian, and FF outboard Radian . also was able to replace the snugride with FF Boulevard with enough room to get good install

1991 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE

Third Row Bench Drivers Side FF and RF with seatbelt- needed to do 2 twists on seatbelt stalk to get tight and prevent from entering belt path. pretty solid install. RF it was close to hitting the captins chair 2nd row and the headrest on the captains chair doesn't remove from what i can tell which would have given it clearance. i removed to captains seat to install radian in third row and was able to get it back installed without touching.

Second Row Captains chair FF and RF with Seatbelt- reclined chair and tightened it up and the sat seat up. got great installs both times, comes close to the drivers chair RF, but had it all the way back and not touching.

was able to get a maybe passing install in the center of the thrid row bench but wouldn't reccommend planning on having it there. the buckle comes close to the belt pathway. i was able to get it tight but didn't fiddle with it too much as it was the last position that i tried and i was tired and my hands hurt from fiddling with locking clips :( the problem i was having was it seemed to loosen as i wiggled it but i wasn't able to get it super tight because of my hands to see if it would continue to have that problem.

Last edited:

skaterbabs

1993 Suburban, 2nd row outboard, 3rd row center & outboard: great fit FF. Did not try RF.
Did not fit 2nd row center (ALR lap-only)

JOII

2003 Chevy Trailblazer
RF with seat belt and tether (all positions)
FF with seat belt and tether (all positions)
FF with LATCH and tether (outboard seats only)
Not a fan of using LATCH in this car with the Radian, anchors seam to close together making the seat belt install 100 times EASIER then the LATCH (weird huh, lol)

I will edit my post with other cars when I try them

Not checked by tech

Last edited:

LEAW

94 Olds Bravada? maybe? RF with seatbelt and locking clip, rock solid, passenger side.

94 Geo Prizm, RF, locking seatbelt, passenger side, rock solid.

03 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2nd row captains chair, RF, more than acceptable but not rock solid, even with tether.

I'm going to try a Ford Focus and FF in the Caravan next.

tjham

Year:2005
Ford Expedition
FF install outboard lap/shoulder belt

Year: 2005
Ford F250 truck
FF install center back seat, bench seat, lap belt

Not checked by tech

Last edited:

smurf

2000 VW Golf, FF belt, outboard --> easy install, rock solid
2007 VW Rabbit, FF belt (center) and latch (outboard) --> difficult install, required muscle but solid in the end

not checked by a tech

Last edited:

easterbun

Year: 2007
Make/Model: Dodge Caliber
Method of install: Seat belt and top tether
Direction of seat: Foward facing and Rear-Facing
Position: Middle for the RF install, outboard driver's side for the FF install.

I've removed/reinstalled the FF seat several times, and I've found it much easier to get it tight if I remove the cover from the top of the seat so I can more easily access the belt for tightening - pulling it from the side of the carseat just doesn't quite do enough for me :( Doing that so I can pull tighter while kneeling in the seat (with some gentle rocking motion side to side to snug down the seat) gets me a rock-solid install fairly quickly.

The RF seat was much harder to install, since the RF belt path isn't accessable like the FF path is... but even it wasn't too bad.

I have not had my seats checked by a tech.

remken

2005 chevy impala
outboard and center with full latch.

1977 ford f150
center w/ lap belt

1978 chevy pick up
center w/ lap belt

1991 plymouth acclaim
center w/ lap belt plus top tether.

forgot to add these were all ff installs

Not checked by a tech.

catfeet

1990 Ford Club Wagon, Lap belt, forward facing. Passenger side outboard, rear seat. Rock solid install.

2005 Odessey Lap shoulder belt, forward facing, passenger side outboard rear seat.

I did not have a tech take a look. The closest is 30 minutes and 3 weeks away, due to an appointment schedule that's filled up.

The first pic is the Odessey & the second is the Ford.

Ann

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
2001 Nissan Xterra: Tough but solid install outboard, l/s belt and tether. Center install easy with locking lap belt and tether. Both FFing. RFing as I recall it's a tough but acceptable outboard l/s and tether install. I don't think it worked in the middle.

In Nathan's 2004 wagon Audi A4 it's acceptable with LATCH FFing outboard, dismal with the seatbelt, great RFing with the seatbelt I think and terrible RFing with LATCH. I think. I need to play in his car again. And in mine RFing.

FFing with seatbelt installs:
2000 Camry, l/s and tether
2004 non US Honda Civic, center lap belt installation was *acceptable*, outboard l/s not acceptable
Lincoln Towncar, LATCH was terrible.

FFing with LATCH installs:
2005 Accord
2006 Civic
Pontiac G6 (has three sets of LATCH, so good both center and outboard)
PT Cruiser

*** Trying to think of the other million cars I've installed it in. I've not had a problem with LATCH in rental cars ever. The only LATCH that hasn't worked FFing is the Lincoln Towncar.

Wendy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok this woudl take a while... lets see...

2003 Land rover Discovery
Middle 40/60 slit seat w/ l/s belt and top tether Very good take some muscle though FFing
out board driver side on 40 slit LATCH No movment at all FFing
out board pass side on 60 bench LATCH no movment FFing
outboard LATCH rfing pass side solid but no room for front passanger

2004 Dodge intrepid
Center LATCH solid
out board both side latch NO movement
outboard L/S belt in back of belt path completely no stalk twist SOLID as a rock tethered too
out board LATCH rfing solid
out board seat belt rfing SOLID in belt path completley

2005 crystler town and country
FF captin chair LATCH very solid
RFing LATCH solid

2002 Ford Crown Vic
out board seat belt exceptable w/ tether FFing

2007 Ford Crown Vic
FFing LATCH solid no movment

2001 Ford windstar
FFing LATCH solid no movment

2001 Ford Explorer
Middle lap belt ARL w/ teather solid good install needed lots of weight and muscle

oh i'm a tech too! :)
i can probably add more later as i think of more! LOL

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Shamefully, I did not get the years for all the successful Radian installs at the conference, but I do know that it does not work in a 1994 VW Jetta or 1997 Honda Civic HX -- worked well in the Ford Focus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Caravan + some 11 or 15 passenger van (according to another tech) ... I think the Subaru Legacy was tricky.

arly1983

Shamefully, I did not get the years for all the successful Radian installs at the conference, but I do know that it does not work in a 1994 VW Jetta or 1997 Honda Civic HX -- worked well in the Ford Focus, Chevy Malibu, Dodge Caravan + some 11 or 15 passenger van (according to another tech) ... I think the Subaru Legacy was tricky.

I really wish one of you techs would try it in a Ford 500 2004 since I tried so hard and just couldn't get it with the belt or the latch...:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC