Info on Maestro and suggestions for new seats

LittlePeanut

My 5.5 y/o child is just hovering around the 40 lb mark. I am not interested in booster training him yet since he still sleeps in the car frequently. I am considering a few new seats but need some info I'm hoping someone will know...

Does the Maestro need headrest support? My parents' van has relatively low seat backs (reaches midneck on me and I'm pretty average height and proportions) and the back of the CR would definitely reach above the top.

I don't know his torso height off hand but he's AT the 2nd to highest harness slot on the RNXT.

We like having 2 seats per child (one in each vehicle, one of which would be used for travel). Currently we have the following:

MR and Scenera - RF for 2.5 y/o, 33 lb child.
RNXT (35 lb RF version) and MA (which expires Oct/11) - FF for 5.5 y/o, 39 lb child.

The Scenera is near being outgrown by height RF and I do not want to turn him FF until at least 3 y/o.

I will need another RF seat for DS2 (likely a MR) and one for DS1. What I will likely do is use the MR with DS2 and have a Maestro (??) for DS1, if it will work in my parent's van (1997 Pontiac TransSport). Will it?

Would it make sense to just have a Maestro available for DS1 to use when we're home visiting (2-3 times per year for 10-14 days at a time) and leave it there? I suppose he can use the airplane seatbelt safely now, right? I must admit, travelling with just 1 seat would be nice.

TIA

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't believe the Maestro needs headrest support. Your ds would definitely have growing room in it if he still fits the MA. It's one of the few seats that my ds still fits by height and your ds isn't all that tall in the torso if he's still using the 2nd highest slots in the Radian. :)

As for how it will fit in their van, I'm not really sure. I don't know off the top of my head if that model year of van had the forward of the bite buckle stalks that were rigid or not - if they do, GM has a retrofit available due to the high rate of compatibility issues. I'm not sure if it would fit without the retrofit, but I wouldn't expect a problem if they've had the buckle replaced. It's possible it would fit even if they still have the rigid buckle stalk - but I'm just not sure based on the year of their van.

LittlePeanut

Hmmm well the Radian installs well FF and the Scenera both FF and RF. I just thought of another possible glitch... The tether anchor is MILES away and while the Radian has more than enough tether length and the Scenera has just enough length, I know my DNi's Evenflo Chase is well short of reaching. I thought I recalled something about Evenflo being notorious for shorter TT straps. Does Evenflo offer an extender? Is it free?

I'm interested in this retrofit you are talking about... I'm certain the buckles have never been replaced. Do you know where I might find more info on this?

Thanks for your reply!

snowbird25ca

Hmmm well the Radian installs well FF and the Scenera both FF and RF. I just thought of another possible glitch... The tether anchor is MILES away and while the Radian has more than enough tether length and the Scenera has just enough length, I know my DNi's Evenflo Chase is well short of reaching. I thought I recalled something about Evenflo being notorious for shorter TT straps. Does Evenflo offer an extender? Is it free?

I'm interested in this retrofit you are talking about... I'm certain the buckles have never been replaced. Do you know where I might find more info on this?

Thanks for your reply!

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-notices-d200402-menu-334.htm

Looks like it's only the vans with modular seating. If they do have modular seating then their van is affected.

eta: When I requested a tether extender for my Triumph evenflo tried to charge me for it. I pushed them on the issue and then they sent it for free. It should be free, and I'd call back and get someone else if you can't get anywhere with the rep - if need be I'd mention contacting TC to see what their policy was and see if that made a difference. I'm not sure if there is any deal with TC - sometimes manufacturers will make agreements to provide things to customers when they have a problem in exchange for not recalling or changing a seat - the old generation Britax seats and their fraying harness adjuster straps are an example of it - Britax indicated they'd replace the straps for free if parents had a problem and stated that it was more of a user problem than a design problem. The straps weren't failing when they were in proper condition - and when pulled perfectly straight they generally didn't fray. So a recall really couldn't have been pushed for. But the problem is quite widespread when you start dealing with the older seats as they age more.

LittlePeanut

I'm going to have my mom check the MY on the van. It's possible it may actually be a '96. I'm pretty sure they are the modular seats but that the buckle (while very ridged) is back from the seat bight.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the Maestro and if they refuse to supply the tether extender for free, I will tell them that I will be returning the seat since it's no use to me without it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They stated at last year's KIM that it's company policy to provide the extender free, so if they give you a hassle go up the chain of command- they know that this is a design issue that causes problems in some cars, which is why they have provided the fix to begin with.

o_mom

I'm going to have my mom check the MY on the van. It's possible it may actually be a '96. I'm pretty sure they are the modular seats but that the buckle (while very ridged) is back from the seat bight.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the Maestro and if they refuse to supply the tether extender for free, I will tell them that I will be returning the seat since it's no use to me without it.

They stated at last year's KIM that it's company policy to provide the extender free, so if they give you a hassle go up the chain of command- they know that this is a design issue that causes problems in some cars, which is why they have provided the fix to begin with.

When I got my Maestro, they did give me an extender for free; however, they stated that 'normally we would charge for that'. I'm not sure if that was just something they say to keep people from automatically requesting one or if it has changed since then. I do know that they asked for my vehicle info as well and when I told them it was an Odyssey they said they would send one 'as a courtesy'. It sounds like you will need one for that vehicle, so I would guess they will send you one.

snowbird25ca

When I got my Maestro, they did give me an extender for free; however, they stated that 'normally we would charge for that'. I'm not sure if that was just something they say to keep people from automatically requesting one or if it has changed since then. I do know that they asked for my vehicle info as well and when I told them it was an Odyssey they said they would send one 'as a courtesy'. It sounds like you will need one for that vehicle, so I would guess they will send you one.

That was the exact thing they told me as well and a local friend of mine did pay for shipping because she didn't question them when they told her they wanted to charge her.

I wouldn't just return the seat. I'd push to get the extender for free. They make it for exactly this purpose, I'd expect them to provide it easily.

Kat_Shoshin

Little Peanut - I bought this seat yesterday for my son in his grandparent's car.

I would rather him harnessed there for a long time. He is 4.5 and 41lbs and has a very high torso height. Highest radian slot with maybe a year to go...

I also bought it so that I can sell the radian in that vehicle to our friend Olga because she wants a 3 across. My niece and son share a seat in that car (my mom will only take one kid at a time) and my niece can get out of radians (complete Houdini) but not evenflo seats... yet. I am hoping she grows some sense before she figures it out.

I was surprised at just how high the harness slots are. My son will outgrow it my weight for sure. 41lbs now - time to stop feeding him!

If you want to come play with it before I install it in my mom's car - read the manual and try it in your car - feel free! Msg me on FB and we can arrange a time.

LittlePeanut

Thanks for the offer Kat. I think I'm just going to head over the TRU today. What were the DOMs like on them? Are they still good for 8 years or were they decreased to 6?

Ummm, Olga needs a 3 across??

mommycat

I haven't seen one IRL recently but have it on good authority that they are down to 6yrs (the Maestros, yes?) so it is likely that's what you will see.

LittlePeanut

Picked one up today. I had DS sit in it in the store and he was hovering around the 3rd from the top harness slot. A couple things I noticed that I'm unsure about are, it doesn't appear to come with harness pads, is that correct? Also, my child has a pretty skinny neck and those harness straps were actually digging in (though he said it didn't hurt), is this normal of the fit?

I haven't seen one IRL recently but have it on good authority that they are down to 6yrs (the Maestros, yes?) so it is likely that's what you will see.

The one on the shelf was Nov/2010 and mine is May/2011 and both have just 6 years :thumbsdown:

Kat_Shoshin

Yup - no shoulder pads AT ALL. And really slice and dice straps. Thick though - better than the chase - these ones won't twist easily.

And yeah - 6 years and mine is Nov as well... Is there an evenflo strap cover than can be bought?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know if Evenflo will approve any of their harness pads with it- it's worth a call to find out! If not, there's always the baby sock solution.

LittlePeanut

Well I've emailed them, I'll let you know how I make out. If I get nowhere, I'll call but it's US long distance and we no longer have a home phone (cell only).

I tried DS1 in it again and I lowered the chest clip about 1/2" and it seemed to help with the digging straps. I will be putting something over them for comfort sake though since it still digs.

I debated returning it and buying an XT instead but I think this seat at 1/3 of the price will do what we need for the time. I figure if allows us to keep him harnessed until he's 6 or DS2 is 3, then we can reconsider what seats we need from there.

I'll likely pick up an XT or MR in the next couple of months for DS2 to keep him RF to at least 3 since the Scenera is nearly outgrown by both weight and height RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC