Info on Maestro and suggestions for new seats

LittlePeanut

Interestingly, while the rear of the seat has a sticker that indicated DOM and expiry (6 years less 2 days - for the leap days?), the manual actually says:

"discontinue use of this restraint after eight years, or if has been involved in a crash."

This seems wrong and an opportunity or misuse. Is TC aware of this discrepancy? Is Evenflo?

ADS

mommycat

Not sure. TC knows the expiries have changed from 6yrs to 8yrs and back to 6yrs because I asked about it - and the decision to go back down to 6yrs was deliberate and the TC expiry public info note has the 6yrs as informed by Evenflo - but I didn't realize that the stickers/manuals are contradicting eachother especially this long after the change.

Since expiry is not part of the Standards though I don't think it would be a recall or anything. The seat's own stickers trump the manual IMO since the manufacturers IME do not always attach the "correct" manual to the seats. For example when Dorel sent me a manual for 35lb Sceneras for my 40lb Scenera when I misplaced a manual.

LittlePeanut

Agreed but sometimes those little stickers go missing (as do manuals) and while *I* personally realize that the seat should not be used without all stickers intact, other parents/caregivers may not. Based on all other info in the manual, it does appear to be the correct one.

mommycat

I guess it just isn't that important to them? It's a bit of a judgement call, setting the limits. A quick note about it to TC and the company can't hurt, whether it's something they feel they need to act on or not would then be up to them. :) ETA and it certainly doesn't help our cause of educating parents to go by the stickers/manual and respect the expiry dates when this sort of thing turns up. :(

LittlePeanut

So I received another reply after mentioning last year's KIM and "company policy" - They said that I was misinformed about the extenders being offered for free. They are apparently making a "one time exception" and sending it out to me though :rolleyes:

Honestly, it was that or the damn seat goes back and I report it to TC. It's no use to me if the tether won't reach :thumbsdown:

Kat_Shoshin

I am glad you are getting your tether extender for free LP. What does this look like? Just being nosey as we just have cars and no need for an extender...

Also - did you ask about covers? I really have to do that baby sock trick because it does leave angry looking marks on my kid's neck...

LittlePeanut

I am glad you are getting your tether extender for free LP. What does this look like? Just being nosey as we just have cars and no need for an extender...

Also - did you ask about covers? I really have to do that baby sock trick because it does leave angry looking marks on my kid's neck...

I assume it looks like this one:

EFTATetherextender.jpg

I'm still on the fence with this seat. I haven't even tried installing it yet. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. Seems okay and good for the price but I'm just not thrilled with it, yk? I'm annoyed with the fight to get the tether extender and I just don't like the way those harness straps cut in to his neck (forgot to ask about covers).

Maybe I should just save up for another XT for DS2 instead and get ready to consider moving DS1 to a booster in the future (shudder). For travel, I could then just take the 2 XTs. I should check to see if DS1 still fits the Scenera, that's another thought I hadn't considered.

mommycat

FWIW, DS1 sleeps quite nicely in the TB (and usually well in the PWSG as well though I have to watch the shoulder belt if he leans just the wrong way). No headflop or slumping forward at all - this is in the Civic. (The Nauti made his head flop terribly.) I wouldn't rule out booster training a 5.5yo just because of the sleeping thing.

LittlePeanut

It's not JUST the sleeping thing. He's only, just this week, started hovering around the 40 lb mark. He's a runt and still fits most harnessed seats very well. Obviously the Scenera is now out as an option due to his weight though.

Pretty sure the Maestro is going back. I'm just not happy with it. I might just buy a MR for DS2 and look into starting to booster train DS1 when the MA expires mid-Oct. He should be at a solid 40 lbs by then and he'll be nearly 6 y/o.

mommycat

Ah yes, you mentioned that but I forgot it then missed it when skimming through today. We had the same issue, DS1 was exactly 40.0lbs the day we went for our first booster ride, but I had enough harnessed seats to go around anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC