How comfortable is the Radian????

Jewels

Senior Community Member
My friend is looking at the Radian and is concerned that it won't be very comfortable because it doesn't look very padded and also because it looks like it would install very upright.

So those who have experience with the Radian, how comfy and padded is it? Also is it quite upright when installed?

ADS

sugarwoman

We have one for my son who is 3 yrs 10 months. He says it is comfy. He falls asleep in it quite often. I do use the recline, which is slight, and I think that makes it easier for him to snooze in. The padding seems good, but I don't have a ton of seats to compare it too.

JaRylan

Rylan has always seemed comfortable in his Radian and has no problem falling asleep in it. I would say more padded than the Alpha Omega and less than the Marathon I saw breifly the other day. The top outside edge is more padded than most because I was able to fall asleep leaning up against it and I didn't wake up with any groove marks in the side of my head, lol.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'd say the padding is equal to the MA, especially in the bum area. It is much more upright than the MA and depending on what vehicle you are putting it in... it can be reclined enough for comfortable sleeping or super upright complete with slumped head while sleeping. It really depends on the vehicle/seating position it's being installed in.

Aiden tells me he likes the Radian better than the MA. He thinks the MA is too "squishy" now (in the shoulder area), although he never complained about it when it was his main seat.

arly1983

I would say it is more comfortable than the Evenflo Chase we have. Even with the recline, we still have a problem with head hanging while sleeping.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'd say the padding is equal to the MA, especially in the bum area. It is much more upright than the MA and depending on what vehicle you are putting it in... it can be reclined enough for comfortable sleeping or super upright complete with slumped head while sleeping. It really depends on the vehicle/seating position it's being installed in.

Aiden tells me he likes the Radian better than the MA. He thinks the MA is too "squishy" now (in the shoulder area), although he never complained about it when it was his main seat.

It is going in a Dodge Caravan; sorry don't know the year maybe a '02-03 :confused:

Also can you use the recline bar when FF?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It is going in a Dodge Caravan; sorry don't know the year maybe a '02-03 :confused:

Also can you use the recline bar when FF?

Captains chairs or a bench?
Dodge requires that you recline the captain's chairs two notches back from upright when installing with LATCH. Mine is installed with LATCH in my '03 in a captains chair. The recline is perfect... Aiden's head never slumps and he looks totally comfy when he's asleep. I don't have the recline bar lowered, so it's installed in it's most upright position.

Just re-read your question... the recline bar can only be lowered when FF. There is a RF foot that needs to be added when installing RF and then the recline bar needs to be upright to attach the RF foot.

So, you can use either upright or recline bar for FF.

Here it is installed in an '03 Grand Caravan, not reclined.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/413192536_e6bcc9cb12.jpg?v=0

Found a side shot that shows the recline a little better...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/429825169_6590b29030.jpg?v=0 OOPS! That's installed in the MazdaSpeed3!... but the recline is similar to the van install.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Captains chairs or a bench?
Captains chairs

Thanks for the info and pics :D

I put my DS in the Radian and couldn't believe how much room he had in it! He has much more room in the Radian then the MA, but then again it wasn't installed. I will my DS in it again if my friend gets the seat and once it is installed :D

easterbun

My DS has no complaints.. but then again it has to be better than the turbo booster he was in before ;)

He has fallen asleep several times, and the sides seem to hold his head up fine - MUCH better than the TB where he'd practically twist himself upside down while asleep :eek:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Captains chairs

Thanks for the info and pics :D

I put my DS in the Radian and couldn't believe how much room he had in it! He has much more room in the Radian then the MA, but then again it wasn't installed. I will my DS in it again if my friend gets the seat and once it is installed :D

Aiden loses about an inch on the Radian when installed vs. uninstalled.

His shoulders are right below the second from top slots in the house and right over them when installed in the van.

babychild taxi

Hi, I have purchased a set of soft "head wings" (made by kid......-can't remember full name). They have helped the 2.5 yr old I drive keep her head upright as the first time I put her in the Radian her head slumped over when she fell asleep.

I don't attach the wings to the direct harnes as indicated. I have attached them to the red velcro carry strap in the middle of the seat and it works great!

HTH

skipspin

My DD really likes hers. Her head doesn't flop at all, except in our Jeep- and I don't keep the Radian in there anyway. DD is used to a Britax Wizard and Recaro Young Sport, so she's pretty spoiled. She does complain sometimes that her Evenflo Chase isn't comfortable and her head always flops when she sleeps in that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC