Review this booster for me?.

Baylor

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Big-Booster-Seat-Cactus/dp/B001H0GEYI"]Amazon.com: Evenflo Big Kid DLX Booster Car Seat, Cactus: Baby: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

I am wondering if anyone has used it or seen it installed.. I know there are sometimes comments about how the seat belts lay in them.

I like the lights for him, Because he is in the last seat and all the cup holders and cubbies..

Thanks!!

For Clarification: Last night when I reread that thread about boostering/5pt harness longer as the Admin suggested, I picked up a good point. What in an emergency? What do I do then? My son certainly meets the requirements for a booster. So I want to be prepared. I want to get a booster for emergency and training purposes. I am trying to be a responsible parent and plan for all options that I can with in reason.

Last edited:
ADS

MommyBoha

My ILs have one for DS and my nephew when we are with them. DS is 7, and is very uncomfortable in it. He doesnt have much leg support in it.

Baylor

My ILs have one for DS and my nephew when we are with them. DS is 7, and is very uncomfortable in it. He doesnt have much leg support in it.

So I guess really, I should take him too the store and have him sit in all of them... Thanks!!

sunnymw

see if they will let you try it in your car also because belt fit is more important than comfort. if the little lights mean that much you may be better off in the best fitting booster making a parental decision on how to add some tiny lights... jmo :)

Baylor

see if they will let you try it in your car also because belt fit is more important than comfort. if the little lights mean that much you may be better off in the best fitting booster making a parental decision on how to add some tiny lights... jmo :)

True.. I don't know if they will let me do that.. but I am not opposed to buying it going out trying it in my car and then bringing it back if it is not a good fit.

My 6 yr old is a smaller thinner kid..

solmama

We have little clip book lights that we attach to the side or back of our kids' carseats. They provide enough light to read/draw (especially in the winter), and are very light weight (will not be a projectile).

MommyBoha

Yeah, I meant to add that the belt fit is good, but he doesnt like being in it. He is a smaller kid. Def try it out

TerisBoys

It's fairly wide, and unlike PP, I found it rather deep. My leggy then 11yo really liked it, and it fit HIM well.

It did NOT fit my 6yo well. The seat was too deep and the belt hit him completely wrong.

bk1.jpg

Heightwise, J was at the max for the back. Even at 11yo, the seatbelt rode almost too high at his hips for my liking. But I knew he could be trusted to position it properly.

bk2.jpg

Sideshot. For reference, at that time the child had a 30" inseam. This was also a very basic, less padded Big Kid than the one you're looking at, so that may change fit a little.

It's flimsy. Much flimsier than a Turbo. The headwings are smallish, even on the deluxe versions. I'd frankly look for something else if it's going in a primary vehicle.

This is why the tall kiddo was still boostered. The seats in that van were hideously low to the vehicle floor, and his long legs weren't comfortable. He passed the 5-step test easily by 10yo as far as fit. But he couldn't stay in position without his legs falling asleep on rides. HE asked for a booster for comfort.

SR-C026.jpg

Baylor

Thanks!!! Is this also a seat that requires a headrest behind it?

Anyone have any other recommendations? I am good spending up to about 75.00

rachelandtyke

A Graco Turbobooster is one that is highly recommended for smaller boostered kids. You can get a less expensive one at Target or Walmart or a more expensive one at BRU/TRU/BBB.

TerisBoys

Thanks!!! Is this also a seat that requires a headrest behind it?

Anyone have any other recommendations? I am good spending up to about 75.00

It does not require a headrest. But it's really flimsy. You can see how thin it is in the sideshot.

Turbos fit smaller kids well, and are easily within that price-range. All Dorel (Cosco/Safety 1st) belt-positioning boosters require the headrest behind the seat, and are even flimsier.

Recaro Vivo, Recaro ProBooster and Britax Parkway SG would be more money, but are all really nice seats if you have time to save up. The SK Monterrey tends to be on the wider side as well, and doesn't always fit slender kiddos.

Your best bet is to hit a baby boutique with lots of boosters or BRU and try him in them in the vehicle. Every kid fits seats differently. Seats I used for #1 don't work at all for #3. They're built totally different. #1 is a beanpole. #3 is more of a linebacker.

Baylor

It does not require a headrest. But it's really flimsy. You can see how thin it is in the sideshot.

Turbos fit smaller kids well, and are easily within that price-range. All Dorel (Cosco/Safety 1st) belt-positioning boosters require the headrest behind the seat, and are even flimsier.

Recaro Vivo, Recaro ProBooster and Britax Parkway SG would be more money, but are all really nice seats if you have time to save up. The SK Monterrey tends to be on the wider side as well, and doesn't always fit slender kiddos.

Your best bet is to hit a baby boutique with lots of boosters or BRU and try him in them in the vehicle. Every kid fits seats differently. Seats I used for #1 don't work at all for #3. They're built totally different. #1 is a beanpole. #3 is more of a linebacker.

That is what I have.. My 6.5 yr old is 52 lbs/48in my 2.5 yr old is 42 lbs/39 in( not one roll on him just solid and built bigger.). I always say the 6.5 yr old is built like a baseball player and the baby is my linebacker.

Baylor

Is this for your son...the one you just went toe to toe with numerous people over how much safer he is in a 5-pt harness?

Really, just stop now. Don't turn this into something it does not need to be. My son will keep growing.. It will be an issue at some point.

I am looking for helpful advice and comments.

Cryssy Jane

Personally I'm not really fond of either booster you linked too. Both are very wide and if you have a little, I'm imagining that the fit is not going to be correct. Honestly the best way to go about boosters is just the same as 5pts, you need to go try your son in them and see based on fit, which is better in your vehicle.

Also if you search IIHS booster rankings, that will give you an approximate for 'best bet' seats that they say fit most children well.

I do also recommend that if you aren't looking for a booster now, you may want to wait to ask for advice since options and technologies change so frequently. We may recommend a great booster, but if you aren't going to need it for a while, then by the time you need it, there's always a possibility that there's a 'better' option for your needs at that time. This is the same reason we recommend new parents not purchase a convertible seat that's just going to sit in the closet while they're using their infant seat.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Really, just stop now. Don't turn this into something it does not need to be. My son will keep growing.. It will be an issue at some point.

Simply a clarifying question...;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

I think it is fair to say that this thread could easily be viewed by some as something it did not need to be the moment it was posted, given the locked thread from yesterday that also turned into something it did not need to be. While your question is a legitimate one that deserves relevant responses, both the topic and the timing don't seem to be well considered given recent events. That is especially true if, as you say, this question is an issue for some point in the future (when other options may affect the choice anyway). Without any clarification that you may have reconsidered your options, I could certainly see that others may have been thinking the same thing that DaniCPST wrote. I did.

While moderators do hope that members will respond politely to on-topic posts about child seats, we also try to recognize that some posts generate a lot of skepticism and sometimes cannot be adequately answered without additional questions that may include the motivation of the parent to buy one particular model over another.

Baylor

Personally I'm not really fond of either booster you linked too. Both are very wide and if you have a little, I'm imagining that the fit is not going to be correct. Honestly the best way to go about boosters is just the same as 5pts, you need to go try your son in them and see based on fit, which is better in your vehicle.

Also if you search IIHS booster rankings, that will give you an approximate for 'best bet' seats that they say fit most children well.

I do also recommend that if you aren't looking for a booster now, you may want to wait to ask for advice since options and technologies change so frequently. We may recommend a great booster, but if you aren't going to need it for a while, then by the time you need it, there's always a possibility that there's a 'better' option for your needs at that time. This is the same reason we recommend new parents not purchase a convertible seat that's just going to sit in the closet while they're using their infant seat.

Gotcha.. Good advice, but I want to purchase one now for training purposes and so that in an emergency, If I have the car, And someone needs to get him, They can.

While I don't like him in one daily, I do want to make sure in an emergency, or as he grows he will know how to use it properly.
It scares me more making sure this booster fits right than the car seats!

Is there a way to do measurements on him and then compare to the measurements on the seats. I will absolutely go and try some on however I like to do a little research online first to be prepared.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC