Traveling with carseats...how do you do it with multiple kids?

danalin26

I know that it is frowned upon for checking carseats, but how do you guys manage to travel with 3 carseats all on the airplane. We have a Blvd, MA and Radian. Combine that with a 4, 2 and 6month old and all their stuff LOL. With the first 2 kids we used the Go Go Babyz for the Blvd or MA. I would love to not check carseats, but it seems our only option. BTW, we have had 2 carseats broken (RA and MA) but we do travel A LOT. What do you ladies do? Any suggestions?

ADS

littleangelfire

I only have one child, but have read other members' descriptions of traveling with several kids. First, babywear. If you don't already have a sling, pouch, or wrap for the 6 month old: get one! :) Wear the baby all through the airport, one less child to carry or worry about losing, and keeps your hands free to deal with the other two and their things. Then maybe the traveling toddler? It allows you to strap your car seat to any piece of rolling luggage, and you can roll your luggage, with your child attached in their seat, lol, through the airport.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We find a way. Since safety is non-negotiable, we figure out what's the most convenient way to keep our kids safe, seat wise, on that specific trip (will we have tether anchors? How much will we be driving? Etc.) and we work from there. Here's a thread detailing what we did last time: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106999

Next time we travel, our eldest will probably be old enough to bring a booster (carry on the bottom, pad the top really well and pack in checked luggage) and we can bring the RSTV for the second if we won't be in the car a lot, or the Go if we will (and will have a LATCH position available for her.) So those two will have easy-to-carry on restraints, and we can put them in just the seatbelts on the plane. I'd definitely look into a Safety 1st Go or Ride Safer Travel Vest for your oldest! And possibly easier-to-transport seats for your 2 year old and baby.

Also, we minimize stuff. We pack all entertainment, snacks, diapers etc. that we'll need DURING the flight into one single large diaper bag, so everything is in one bag and that's all we have to carry; then we have one carryon with change of clothes and such that we might need if our luggage is lost into one carryon. So only 2 bags come with us on the plane, and that leaves hands freer. I bring a sling to wear the youngest child, which also helps.

danalin26

We find a way. Since safety is non-negotiable, we figure out what's the most convenient way to keep our kids safe, seat wise, on that specific trip (will we have tether anchors? How much will we be driving? Etc.) and we work from there. Here's a thread detailing what we did last time: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106999

Next time we travel, our eldest will probably be old enough to bring a booster (carry on the bottom, pad the top really well and pack in checked luggage) and we can bring the RSTV for the second if we won't be in the car a lot, or the Go if we will (and will have a LATCH position available for her.) So those two will have easy-to-carry on restraints, and we can put them in just the seatbelts on the plane. I'd definitely look into a Safety 1st Go or Ride Safer Travel Vest for your oldest! And possibly easier-to-transport seats for your 2 year old and baby.

Also, we minimize stuff. We pack all entertainment, snacks, diapers etc. that we'll need DURING the flight into one single large diaper bag, so everything is in one bag and that's all we have to carry; then we have one carryon with change of clothes and such that we might need if our luggage is lost into one carryon. So only 2 bags come with us on the plane, and that leaves hands freer. I bring a sling to wear the youngest child, which also helps.

I do the exact same thing with the luggage on the plane except for we only have 1 bag. I wear the baby always. When we travel it's usually for at least 3 weeks sometimes as much as 7weeks. So I really need to have their normal carseats especially since it's a bigger city with more traffic than where we live. Also, I travel by myself 95% of the time because my dh is in the military and gone a lot. I just can't carry 3 carseats, 3 kids and a bag on the airplane...it's just not possible LOL I have thought about just buying new carseats to leave at my mom's house, but I know my dh would flip if I told him that we were going to spend $750 on travel carseats. It's nothing urgent I was just honestly interested in your opinions. ;)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only reason we have the carryon AND diaper bag-- we could combine into one if we had to-- is because we use the rolling carryon to transport a car seat with the Travelling Toddler, so that frees up another hand. :)

chay

I've never done 3 on my own but here's what I've done with 2 on my own many times -
- wear one on back or front depending on age
- backpack carry on on the opposite
- one hand pulling luggage cart with 2 car seats strapped on (the second one upside down)
- one hand free for the older kid

If your 4 and 2 year old are like my older kid who never leaves my side I could imagine pulling 2 carts and put my carry on on the third car seat and then have the older kids walk beside me. If one or both of them bolts like my younger one does then I'm not sure what I'd do....

If I packed a different shaped carry on I think it might fit between the 2 car seats on the luggage cart and I could then put the Radian on my back (although I would hope it wouldn't be for long). That still only leaves 1 hand for 2 kids - depends on the kids if that would be enough ;)

ETA - if you do get this to work you'll get some awesome looks through the airport. I get enough with my little caravan - add another kid and I'm sure people would stop to take pictures :)

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
One adult or two? If there are 2 adults, I end up with an infant seat for the baby that snaps into the stroller (or a Snap N' Go type stroller). The 2 year old has a Scenera that can either be carried or put on top of a second single stroller. The 4 year old walks and uses the airplane seatbelt. We take a RSTV or a GO for the 4 year old.

DahliaRW

I have 3 kids. My oldest we have a RSTV for and he sits in the lapbelt on the plane. My middle we put his convertible in a rolling car seat bag (we've traveld with a scenera and a CA for him). The baby we used the SS1 in a stroller, wore the baby, and used the stroller/car seat to hold our carryon bags.

Now that I've passed on the bucket to my sister, I plan on RSTV for both boys (if my middle will be big enough next time we travel) and bring the scenera for my littlest.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would buy one seat, maybe a $75 Maestro, to leave at your mom's house. Then just carry seats for the two youngest. As the kids get older, maybe in another 18 months, buy a booster for your mom's, then you can just carry one seat through the airport and have the two oldest just in the plane's belts. With three kids, anything you buy will get use. You don't need to buy all new seats right now. Just one for the oldest.

I'd put the Radian on your back, the baby on your front, a Britax (either one) with a Traveling Toddler on your suitcase, and your diaper bag in the Britax. Then have a seat waiting on the other end.

Wendy

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Are you traveling with 2 adults? If so, it's pretty easy to handle 3 seats.

Get a 2 wheeled luggage cart (Samsonite makes some that can handle 100+ lb), and stack two seats, plus your carry-ons on it, and strap it all down securely. If you need a stroller, you can put the 3rd seat on it. If not, use a second luggage cart. If you can connect the 3rd seat securely to the cart, you may even be able to wheel it through the airport with a child in the seat. Try using LATCH &/or the top tether &/or criss-crossing the bungies through the FF belt path. Or, if you have a double stroller, put the carseat in one seat and a child in the other. You may also be able to put a child in a single stroller and loop the top tether over the handles to carry it on the back of the stroller.

Get a pair of good baby carriers for your baby & toddler, and wear them through the airport. I love my ToddlerHawk for my 2 year old, but I've used ring slings and baby backpacks in the airport, too. If you use 2 luggage carts and 2 baby carriers, that still leaves each adult with one hand free for things like tickets and taking care of your 3rd child.

christi2705

I would put the 2 year old and that seat on the Go Babyz, stack the other 2 seats as well as a bag on a stroller, let the 4 year old walk with their own backpack,sling the baby, and the other adult carry a backpack. Good luck :)

danalin26

I would put the 2 year old and that seat on the Go Babyz, stack the other 2 seats as well as a bag on a stroller, let the 4 year old walk with their own backpack,sling the baby, and the other adult carry a backpack. Good luck :)

Are you traveling with 2 adults? If so, it's pretty easy to handle 3 seats.

Get a 2 wheeled luggage cart (Samsonite makes some that can handle 100+ lb), and stack two seats, plus your carry-ons on it, and strap it all down securely. If you need a stroller, you can put the 3rd seat on it. If not, use a second luggage cart. If you can connect the 3rd seat securely to the cart, you may even be able to wheel it through the airport with a child in the seat. Try using LATCH &/or the top tether &/or criss-crossing the bungies through the FF belt path. Or, if you have a double stroller, put the carseat in one seat and a child in the other. You may also be able to put a child in a single stroller and loop the top tether over the handles to carry it on the back of the stroller.

Get a pair of good baby carriers for your baby & toddler, and wear them through the airport. I love my ToddlerHawk for my 2 year old, but I've used ring slings and baby backpacks in the airport, too. If you use 2 luggage carts and 2 baby carriers, that still leaves each adult with one hand free for things like tickets and taking care of your 3rd child.

All great and do-able ideas but because of my dh being in the military and a pilot I travel by myself pretty much all the time. I think he's flown with us 2 or 3 times total since my oldest was born.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My husband was Army before our 4th was born, and he's in the Guard now (no more PCSing!). I chose not to travel alone with 3 kids. I just didn't feel like I could do so safely and sanely, with or without 3 seats. I made my family come visit me when we lived overseas. ;)

If I had to fly alone for some reason, I think I'd consider using a Cares Harness for the 4 year old and leaving a seat for her with Grandma. The Graco Nautilus would be a good choice for a 4 year old for well under $200. Then, I'd get a good double side-by-side stroller. Carry the baby in a sling/carrier, put the older two in the stroller, and use the top tethers hooked duffle-style over the handles to carry both carseats through the airport. Carry-ons in the stroller basket, and away you go.

Or, if I could afford it, I'd buy a ticket for my sister and make her come with me to help! :whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Heck, I'd even consider a CARES for the 2 and 4 year olds, strap a convertible to something for the baby, wear baby, stroller for other two (gate check the stroller), and have 2 seats available at destination for the 2 and 4 year olds. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC