Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Toyota commercial?

I was watching tv last night....I looked up on a commercial break just in time to see part of a toyota (I'm pretty sure it was toyota) commercial. I don't think that it was for a specific model....they were selling the fact that toyotas stay on the roads for a long time. There was a man driving and they were pointing out that in 10 years his son may be driving that same car. They showed the boy just as I looked up. In my split-second glance it looked like the crotch buckle wasn't done up on his 5-pt harness! I really want to find this commercial so that I can watch it again and see if that's the case but can't find it.
    Anyone know which ad I'm talking about?
    Selina - Canadian Mom. BC CPST
    James (04/12/02) 84# In a SK Monterey
    Nicholas (09/02/07) 34.5# FF in a Britax FrontierXT and giving me anxiety over the switch forward

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Toyota commercial?

Here you go:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhuXaANaSU"]YouTube- Toyota Car Wash TV Commercial[/ame]

You never actually see below his chest or so, but yeah, looks like the crotch buckle is probably not buckled. Straps could be a bit tighter. Looks like they might be coming from below his shoulders. Chest clip is at right height. Tether is going over removable headrest-- Toyota requires it be routed under. 18 seconds is where I found the best shot showing the most of the car seat.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Thanks!

And I see that Nicole somehow stole my exact thoughts a month before I had them and posted to the video thread.

Did anyone email Toyota about this? I know that they don't sell car seats but you'd think that they could figure out how to install it properly....according to their vehicle manual instructions at that And they should also know how to buckle a seat properly for a 20 second commercial. I'm shocked that the kid didn't say anything to them about it. James would have read me the riot act if I had ever forgot to buckle him in properly!
    Nicholas (09/02/07) 34.5# FF in a Britax FrontierXT and giving me anxiety over the switch forward

I have seen kids COME INTO CHECKS buckled like that. Quite possible he doesn't know how it's supposed to go.

I was just thinking about writing Toyota but haven't. I might report to Safety Belt Safe, though. (They have a Media Report form.) I have seen the commercial for months now and knew there was a car seat in it but never looked closely... I'm thinking maybe I should call or write them.

I was rather shocked when I saw the tether strap going over the headrest. I mean, it's their own vehicle! How do they not make sure that it is at least put in properly?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

It's not as bad as it could be, but I would consider the chest clip too low, personally. I assume that since these things take ages and many takes to film, they probably got sick of buckling after breaks and assumed nobody would notice the straps going out to the sides. But yeah, come on, if they are going to do it, they should do it right.

Makes me think of a catalogue for Grand River Toys I got yeaterday, with this picture (which I'm going to assume has probably been discussed before):
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Wow! That grand river toys ad is so bad!

And yeah, for the Toyota commercial, I guess that it takes a long time to shoot. But if they really didn't care and were going on the basis that the car isn't really driving and it's just an ad.....they should have just forgot the seat altogether. Or better yet, let the kid drive. At least then it would be obvious that it's satirical and not to be taken seriously.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

I actually got "hate mail" as a result of my post there..

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Quote Originally Posted by QuassEE View Post
    I actually got "hate mail" as a result of my post there..
    The people on youtube, for the most part. seem to be unwilling to listen to others. It's a shame as it could be a great resource for information.

I saw the commercial air again the seat was buckled! YIPPY!

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Was the tether strap under the headrest?

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    I mean, it's their own vehicle! How do they not make sure that it is at least put in properly?
    Cause Toyota had nothing to do with making the ad. It was an ad agency who hired a production company who hired a crew so we're three companies away from Toyota. Yeah Toyota should have had someone on the set though who know how to install the seat.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Was the tether strap under the headrest?
    I don't recall, if I see it again I'll look. I think it might have been on during Chuck but I could be wrong.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emandbri View Post
    I saw the commercial air again the seat was buckled! YIPPY!
    That's funny. I've seen it a few times in the last week. I watched the video above and thought I'd just never noticed that it was unbuckled. I guess that's because they fixed it.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selinajean View Post
    I was watching tv last night....I looked up on a commercial break just in time to see part of a toyota (I'm pretty sure it was toyota) commercial. I don't think that it was for a specific model....they were selling the fact that toyotas stay on the roads for a long time.
    Given the recent news about Toyota, there are SO many bad jokes that could be made about that...

Quote Originally Posted by brightredmtn View Post
    Cause Toyota had nothing to do with making the ad. It was an ad agency who hired a production company who hired a crew so we're three companies away from Toyota. Yeah Toyota should have had someone on the set though who know how to install the seat.
    Toyota likely does hire ad agencies and production companies, but there is no way Toyota had "nothing to do" with making the ad. I'm sure there are people at Toyota who approve every concept before it's approved and filmed. That said, yes, it's very possible they didn't have anyone on-site to oversee the car seat installation, but I'm sure Toyota people screened and approved it before it aired. They probably didn't notice or didn't care. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed that either unless I was REALLY REALLY looking for it.

There is no point in emailing Toyota, all of their production has stopped on all of their vehicles currently so anything you email them right now will not be answered.

I'm thinking Toyota isn't going to be known so well for their safety issues considering there are millions of their vehicles on the road that may or may not be able to stop when they need to posing a MAJOR safety risk to anyone who owns them and anyone who is on the road with them!

Also the vast majority of people who have no car seat knowledge aren't even going to notice it. I played the video for my friend 4 times after I asked her "What is wrong with this video other than it's Toyota" and she didn't even spot it. She has 5 children.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Given the recent news about Toyota, there are SO many bad jokes that could be made about that...

Toyota likely does hire ad agencies and production companies, but there is no way Toyota had "nothing to do" with making the ad. I'm sure there are people at Toyota who approve every concept before it's approved and filmed. That said, yes, it's very possible they didn't have anyone on-site to oversee the car seat installation, but I'm sure Toyota people screened and approved it before it aired. They probably didn't notice or didn't care. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed that either unless I was REALLY REALLY looking for it.
    I meant the physical production, filming kind of making. Nobody who worked for Toyota was the prop. master or mistress who didn't do the seat right.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steph_s View Post
    There is no point in emailing Toyota, all of their production has stopped on all of their vehicles currently so anything you email them right now will not be answered.
    They've only stopped production of 8 vehicles, not their whole line. But in any case, yeah, this issue probably isn't high on their priority list right now.

Quote Originally Posted by brightredmtn View Post
    I meant the physical production, filming kind of making. Nobody who worked for Toyota was the prop. master or mistress who didn't do the seat right.
    Oh, gotcha.

CPS Technician

I'm thankful he's not in a booster... personally.