Youtube Video (Importance of a 5-pt Harness) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

Simplysomething

I am inclined once my son reaches that stage, to move him up to the Regent - my husband is currently at odds with this and throws out the useless comment that we cannot protect him forever. I appreciate any help you can provide!

If your son is younger than 4 when he reaches that stage--absolutely get the the Regent (or another higher weight limit seat). If he's older than that and mature enough for a booster, then it's really a parental choice. Yes, he'll be lots safer in a 5 point, but a 40 lb 3 year old and a 40 lb 6 year old are worlds apart in maturity.

Tell your husband, no we can't protect him forever, but we can protect him until he's mature enough to do it himself.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You mean it isn't ONLY for lap-only belts ... it can be used with lap-only belts *or* lap/shoulder belts :)

D

Dee12

Hello all...I found this site as I was researching carseats..I too just saw the video about Kyle and have been sick since. I live in Canada and have a 4 year old daughter 40 lbs and 44.5 inches tall..after calling around about car seats they all told me in Canada 5 point harness only goes to 48 lbs?? (why, no one can give me a reason..) The Regent is not available in Canada?? Were did you find the Canadian transport information (I have been on the site) ??? I am SOOO confused as to what car seat to use...

Very confused mom!!!

scatterbunny

Dee--I don't have a link to the specific information, but it has to do with HOW TC defines a child. To them, a child is anyone under 48 pounds, so child restraints only are certified to 48 pounds there. Not a great answer, I know. :(

You DO have options for your dd, though. Depending on her torso height, a Graco CarGo, Evenflo Chase/Vision/Generations, Britax Marathon or Sunshine Kids Radian would work. The Sunshine Kids seat will allow the most torso growing room. The Graco and Evenflo seats are the only ones to convert to a highback booster, the Evenflo Generations is the only one that converts to a really GOOD highback booster. The Britax and Sunshine Kids seats are convertibles, rear-facing to 33 (or possibly just 30 in Canada) pounds and then forward-facing to 48 pounds (but they are outgrown by height when shoulders go over top slots, and the SK seat has higher top slots, so it has more growing room).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Hello all...I found this site as I was researching carseats..I too just saw the video about Kyle and have been sick since. I live in Canada and have a 4 year old daughter 40 lbs and 44.5 inches tall..after calling around about car seats they all told me in Canada 5 point harness only goes to 48 lbs?? (why, no one can give me a reason..) The Regent is not available in Canada?? Were did you find the Canadian transport information (I have been on the site) ??? I am SOOO confused as to what car seat to use...

Very confused mom!!!

Hi I am from Canada as well, and I contacted Transport Canada about this. Their response is posted in this thread
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8578

I even e-mailed them the video and they asked me to give them my phone number so a tech could contact me, I never gave it to them, should I have?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A 5 point harness offers more protection in a side impact or rollover than a booster can, no matter how great the headwings are on the Parkway, they can't make up for 3 points of protection versus 5 points of protection, especially for a three year old whose head is comparitavely larger than a 5 or 6 year old, and who's bones are not as well developed as a 5-6 year old (which is MY personal minimum to go in a booster).
Can't protect them forever, no...but figure a kid has 100 years to live, might as well keep them optimally protected (in a harness) for a tenth of that, and not just a thirty thirdth of it, right?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
What Julie said! The extra restraint offered by almost any properly adjusted 5-point harness is going to protect as good or better than even the best boosters with side wings. Even the biggest side wings provide no protection to the head if the child moves a little bit forward in a booster...

My 8-year old finally moved into a booster (Jane Indy Plus) with side impact protection this year. My 6-year old is still in a 5-point harness for at least another year, probably two.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Thanks for this info - I looked at the Boulevard and see that it only goes up to 65lbs, which is why I suppose the went with the Parkway instead. I will however point this choice out to them. Thanks!

Blesha

This is why our 4-year-old is in a rear-faced seat that can be used up to 25 kg/55 lbs. The name of it is Britax Two Way Elite. I don't how many seats in the US/Canada that are approved for being rear-faced after the baby seats, but I'm pretty sure there are some!

Simplysomething

I think in the US convertible seats (that can be used both forward and rear-facing) top out at 35* lbs for rear-facing.

(I'm sure there are exceptions...and I'm including the seats that go to 30 and 33 lbs as well)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, 35 pounds is the highest RF limit in the US & Canada is even lower :( I sooooo wish I could have the Two Way Elite/Plus for Leila -- she would love it!

In the US a parent may petition the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to import a Scandinavian seat legally, but it's $$$$$ to do so + a doctor's prescription is necessary.... Leila's daddy is a medical doctor who is willing to write the Rx, but while living in 2 different states, paying for 3 houses, etc. we just aren't able to swing the foreign seat -- on the Native American Reservation where he's currently working we wouldn't need to petition NHTSA, but it's still a matter of finances. We could justify the added expense before he needed to move because we'd planned on settling down & trying for another baby to hand a Two Way Plus/Elite down to, but now that plan is on hold so if we did get the seat, Leila might only get the extended RF benefit for a relatively short time & then an extremely high price seat would be otherwise unused *SIGH*

bombedier

Senior Community Member
Dear all - I have posted previously to this board and this thread asking questions. I come back to you know as I am a Board Director and Secretary of the Kyle David Miller Foundation - www.kyledavidmiller.org. The foundation has many aims; to improve car seat safety, to get stricter laws passed on car seat requirements and driving laws passed. Not least of which, we are providing car seats to families in need - families who would otherwise be unable to afford the Britax regent or the SunShine Kids Radian80 etc.

Please visit the foundation website. If you can donate to the foundation, thank you so much - every little bit helps - even $1. If you are a family in need of a car seat, please submit an application.

We are also seeking to have a CPS involved with the foundation - if any of the CPS on the board here are interested, please do contact us. My email address is laura@kyledavidmiller.org.

Thank you for all the hard work you are doing here in this organization. We would like to discuss further with the moderators and founders how we can parnter together.

harnessed4ever

I checked out the site and some of the survival/memory stories are really touching. Definitely a "tissues right beside you" kind of place to visit.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
regardless of what contributed to the ejection, the point is is that if they had been harnessed he wouldn't have flown out of his seat. LATCH though only certified to 48lbs can be used as a second line of defense in the event that a seatbelt unlocks.

This is absolutely unequivocally incorrect. LATCH and seatbelt can NEVER be used at the same time.

TxMomma

regardless of what contributed to the ejection, the point is is that if they had been harnessed he wouldn't have flown out of his seat. LATCH though only certified to 48lbs can be used as a second line of defense in the event that a seatbelt unlocks

Are you suggesting that people use the lower anchors and the seatbelt together? That is not safe if you are!

harnessed4ever

No I'm not. I made a total idiot of myself there. I changed it as you can see, THAT'S the one I wanted in there. For some reason I screwed up the posting point and where I was trying to put the previous one made some form of sense and yadayadayada. Well I fixed it. So that's that. I know very well latch and seatbelts can't work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC