Would your RF over 35lbs if you could?

twinsmom

Yes, and I did :D DS wasn't even two when he got to 35 lbs. I turned him FF at 8 months, as in New Zealand where I live, I couldn't find a RF seat (at the time) past 26 lbs that he'd fit in. Went back to RF at 2 years old after I imported a swedish seat (originally intended for his younger sister).

Hi Delgirrrl - you posted pics for me on another thread of your handsome boy in the MultiTech. Thanks for those! They were very helpful.:)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's funny. It seems that only the US has the 'pretty' seat covers! That's one thing we have going for us!:)
Oooh, some seats in Germany and the UK are adorable, though! Maybe not pink, but colorful :D
We have the best of the best, I think, here... rf to 35 (instead of 9KG or 13KG like in other industrialized countries, excluding Nordic countries with the ERF seats), top tethering, like Australia and Canada have found to be very safe, extended harnessing, which I don't think anyone else really has (Canada, kind of), and huge booster seats that will fit kids as long as they actually need them (like Germany with their 12 or 4'11" laws, last I heard)... and pink seats :rolleyes:
Now, if only we could get people to use them properly, not drink and drive, put down the cell phones, not drive drowsy, and maybe drive a little safer, we'd be much better off :eek:

laccaycol

Yep i would and i already have a multi-tech and my 2 year old is 30 pounds. After having the multi tech i dont even want to buy any US seats anymore. Best seat i have ever owned. The multi tech is soooo easy to use. Rock solid in my van.

fyrfightermomma

Nope. My kids do just find in American seats. Under 3? of course(if it were legal, I won't use an illegal seat here). Over 3? Probably not.

Even my chunky younger one should get to almost 3 I would think. The older one by weight until 7 or so

solmama

For my dd, yes. For my ds, no. She was 33lbs (rf limit at the time) by 2.5. My ds, however, is about 31lbs at 34mos. I'll keep him rf until the limit of his seat and then turn him.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
If it were legal? As in designed for the US market cars? Sure. At least til age 5 or 6. Then, I'd see how badly my kid wants to go FF. If he doesn't care, he'll sit RF for as long as he fits.

Same for me. As it is now, my kids can make it to 4 RF, and that is good enough for now. But, if there was an option to keep them RF to 5-6 (a legal one) I would do it.

I would seriously consider importing a swedish seat if I had a child who hit 35 lbs before they were 2. I'm personally not comfortable FF a child under two.

If it fit in my car, fit my child-YES!

Logan is 32 pounds. He bounces from 32-35 pounds, so I don't have him rearfacing in fear he will go over the 33 limit seat I have, and I think he is too tall in the scenera RF. He is 4 years old. He would love it. He loved rearfacing.

finn

Yes :) ds is 2, weighs 13kg (28lbs) most seats over here only rear face to 12kg (26lbs) so we tried a Brio, ds hated it but i wasn't ready to forward face him so we now have a multi-tech :love: we love it, it is really fool proof to install and so easy to get tight, even in my car with forward of the bight buckles. The manual is in english.

scatterbunny

YES, if my dd were 35-45 pounds (small enough to still make it "worth it" to buy a ERF seat), I'd absolutely RF her, regardless of age, if we could afford the seat. :eek: My dd is big for her age, and still wasn't 55 pounds until 6. She hit 35 pounds at 2, 40 pounds at 3. I had her FF at 13 months, though, because I didn't know any better at the time.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Regardless AD had a friend who was extrememly knowledgable with carseats (works with them) look at the way my two - way is braced and said it was fine. In fact he said the following:

As regards the way it rests on the seat backs, there is no requirement for the seats to be in exactly the same position. It's generally a good idea for the Two Way to rest on both front seats, but this is not critical to the function of the Two Way.

The Two Way is designed to be a monocoque, which means that it can entirely carry the loads that can occur in a crash without any support forward. That brings us back to the question of why it's better for the seat to be fixed at the foot end in both slots.

Which would make your statement about needing a fixed place to brace the seat untrue. I'm not trying to be sassy just that translation is so hard and so much can be lost. It's better to talk to the people who know the facts rather than try to make assumptions, IMO:eek:.

I obviously can't speak for all manufacturers and I'm not even familiar with individual brands really. My comments were based on general comments made by 2 organizations in Sweden. I agree that things can be lost in translation. I just wouldn't rule out the possibility that a swedish seat doesn't perform as well as a north American seat when it comes to use in north American vehicles. I could be totally wrong. But there has to be something that the agencies in Sweden know that we don't know when it comes to statements like I've quoted below...

I am wondering though what the guy meant by "That brings us back to the question of why it's better for the seat to be fixed at the foot end in both slots." Do you mind elaborating on what he was referring to? (Just because I'm naturally curious. :eek:)

Interesting thoughts. I think it's an interesting discussion which helps to put some more focus on rear facing longer than currently.

Snowbird25ca raises some good points and questions as usual.:thumbsup: It's true that many families here have rf seats installed in front seat due to the many benefits and equal or greater safety compared to rear seat (Only rf and airbag disabled of course. No booster or older kids etc). Most rf seats were once upon designed to lean against the dashboard since if offers great safety. But most can also be leaned against front seat or used with a foot prop. Some seats, like the very sturdy Two-Way is tested without foot prop or leaning against a seat and still pass tough testing.

The people I speak to in the industry, some Canadians and Americans among them, disagree with the opinion of Swedish rf seats not passing US testing. FVMSS and ECE R44 are very similar, with some differences, but both are tough standards. It's possible that some minor adjustments would be made but it would not be a big deal.

Interestingly, and off topic, is that the FMVSS standard is a "self certification" standard. Which means for example Snowbird could test seats according to FMVSS and if they pass she could sell them in US and call her standard "Snowbird".:D

Actually, FMVSS standard being self certification means that manufacturers perform testing on their seats and determine whether or not they meet the standards as required by FMVSS. It's a pretty simple meets or doesn't meet. If the manufacturer determines that his/her seat meets FMVSS standards, then they can sell the seat in the US. They don't label the seat with any other standards like bob or carol or whatever - it's the FMVSS label that is what matters. Similarly in Canada - where we have CMVSS standards. Companies must obtain an identifying number that is placed on the national safety mark, but CMVSS standards are the same across the board and all manufacturers must at least meet them in order to sell their seat in Canada. Compliance testing is done and in the event that an issue is found the manufacturer will be contacted and worked with to hopefully fix the problem. A seat sold in the US only meets FMVSS standards, and a seat sold in Canada only meets CMVSS standards. No self-naming involved - the standards are pre-determined and all seats have to pass the same standards. Self certification simply means that the manufacturer is doing the testing and determining that it passes, submitting the paper work to the regulating body, and then marketing the seat without formal approval from the regulating body.

I am curious about the US and CDN experts who believe Swedish seats would pass standards testing here. Considering that there is nothing preventing a higher weight rf'ing seat from being sold in Canada, either the companies are choosing to not do the testing, or the seat doesn't meet standards. If they feel the seat meets standards, I don't understand why they wouldn't do the testing... It's a pretty bold claim to state that the seat would meet standards in another country but not do the testing and certify the seat. JMHO. :eek:

There is no concern for this. The recommendation is to install the seat wherever you like in the car. It's often said that the front seat is a good and safe place for your child (only rf and airbag disabled) but it's not at all a recommendation to use the front seat.

We can all speculate in what could happen but most Swedish seats are approved with foot prop or leaning against a seat. Your description sounds like fiction to me. Some are approved both ways, like Britax Hi-Way. And Two-WAy is tested without bracing or foot prop:

So is it approved to use the seat to the full weight limit without bracing or a foot prop then?

There is nothing magical with the Swedish cars. We drive the same cars as Canadians or Americans do. You have some more SUV's but other than that differences in vehicles are small. Most Swedes tether or anchor their seats just as you would in your car, without any special equipment or "d-rings" and it works very well.

I'm going to play complete devil's advocate here.... but how do you know what difference is a small one in a collision?

What exactly is your standard in terms of rotation in a rf'ing restraint? I'm talking specifically about the number of degrees the seat is allowed to rotate. What angle of inclination is the crash test bench that the tests are done on? The CMVSS bench has a 7* angle and the FMVSS bench has a 15* angle. This difference is enough that seats can pass on the FMVSS bench and fail on the CMVSS bench...

I have gotten this question before and triple checked it. I have spoken to people in the industry about it. Some airbags today vary force depending on weight of person in the seat for example. The additional forces in a collision on the front seat/passenger caused by a rf Swedish seat is insignificant. It's not a worry. I'm assuming a correct install but that's obvious.

I guess again it comes down to how much additional force is there on the front seat? How do you know whether or not it's a worry? You can't pick your collision ahead of time to be able to predict the forces involved and what may or may not influence the outcome...

How frequent are rear end collisions in Sweden? Are your vehicle seats designed such that in a severe rear end collision the front seat could collapse backwards or move backwards? (Older vehicles it's common for the seat to completely collapse backwards, some newer vehicles have designs that are intended to allow the front seat to pivot backwards to slow the deceleration of the occupant of the seat - how would the force on the adult occupying that seat be impacted if there was a seat tethered to the front seat?)

There is absolutely nothing stopping Swedish car seat manufacturers from certifying their seats to CMVSS standards if they so wished. Our weight limit goes to 65lbs in harnessed seats - that means if they could show their seats complied to CMVSS standards they would be able to sell them here. We also don't have any limitations on design in CMVSS standards - so foot props would be allowed... So I wouldn't make the leap of faith that they meet FMVSS and CMVSS standards. ;)

I happen to have this quote saved from the other forum. The post itself was removed and I was asked to update it because parts of the original post were edited due to concerns about copyright. So far as I know the parts that were sent to me via PM when the post was removed are the parts that weren't affected by the copyright issue, so I'm going to post them here. AD may very well recognize this because it was originally provided by him.

Quote:
From VTI: (one of the most respected crash test facilities in the world. Crash testing and advocate of rear facing since 1965)

När barnet växer ur babyskyddet är det dags att titta på bakåtvända bilbarnstolar. Detta sker vanligen strax före 1 års ålder, i vissa fall kanske redan vid ca 6 månaders ålder.

Denna typ av stol är vanligen avsedd att monteras bakåtvänd i framsätet lutad mot instrumentbrädan. Utbudet är idag relativt stort. Se till att stolen du väljer passar i din bil. Stolen måste luta mot instrumentbrädan, absolut inte mot vindrutan. Man kan ganska enkelt förbättra anliggningen mot instrumentbrädan om man under barnstolens bakre kant, dvs. bilbarnstolens fotände, placerar en liten kudde eller hårt hoprullad filt så att lutningen mot instrumentbrädan blir mera "effektiv". Man ska dock inte lägga någon stoppning under hela barnstolen, då den lätt blir vinglig. Stolen behöver stödet från personbilssätet. Rent allmänt anses dock placering i framsätet gynna trafiksäkerheten jämfört med att föraren skall försöka kontrollera ett krånglande barn i baksätet.

From VTI: (one of the most respected crash test facilities in the world. Crash testing and advocate of rear facing since 1965)

When the child grows out of baby protection, it is time to look at rear-facing child seats. This is usually done shortly before 1 year of age, in some cases may already be at about 6 months old.

This type of chair is usually intended to be mounted facing backwards in the front seat leaning against the dashboard. offerings are now quite high. Make sure the seat you choose can fit in your car. The chair must lean against the dashboard, certainly not against the windshield. One can quite easily improve anliggningen against the dashboard when the child seat's rear edge, ie. child safety restraint system fotände, put a small pillow or blanket CONVOLUTED hard so that the inclination towards the dash will be more "efficient". It will not add any padding throughout barnstolen, then it becomes easy wings. The chair needs assistance from the car seat. In general, however, placement in the front seat promote road safety compared with that driver will try to check a krånglande children in the backseat.

~~~

Quote:
From NTF (Highly thought of impartial safety organization which works closely with researchers):

Quote:
Vilken plats i bilen anses vara den säkraste att placera bilbarnstolen?
Svar:
Vilken som är den säkraste platsen i bilen kan man inte säga förrän efter eventuell olycka. Montering baktåvänd i framsätet lutad mot instrumentbrädan ger en fast yta att luta bilbarnstolen mot. Instrumentbrädan är starkare än t ex ryggstöden på bilsätena.

From NTF (Highly thought of impartial safety organization which works closely with researchers):

Quote:
What place in the car is considered the safest place child safety restraint system?
Answer:
What is the safest place in the car can not be said until after the accident. Mounting baktåvänd in the front seat leaning against the dashboard provides a solid surface to lean against child safety restraint system. The dashboard is stronger than eg backs of bilsätena.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
From VTI (Crash test institute)

Ur krocksäkerhetssynpunkt finns flera fördelar att ha barnet i framsäte utan krockkudde. Skaderisken är något lägre vid en frontalkrock om barnet sitter i en bakåtvänd stol lutad mot instrumentpanelen, jämfört med en bakåtvänd bilbarnstol i baksätet lutad mot framstolens ryggstöd. Vid en sidokollision är barnet mer skyddat på mittplats bak, än i framsätet. Krockar från sidan är dock ovanligare än frontalkrockar.

From VTI (Crash Test Institute)

From the crash safety are several advantages to having the child in the front without an air bag. the risk of damage is slightly lower at a head of the child sitting in a rear-facing seat leaning against the instrument panel, compared with a rear-facing infant in the back leaning against the seat backs. In a side impact is the child more protected location on my back, than in the front seat. Collisions from the side, however, is rarer than frontal crashes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll note that I'm not placing this here to get into a debate of front seat vs. rear seat, rather that from reading it it says "intended to be mounted facing backwards in the front seat leaning against the dashboard" in the first quote, and talks about the dashboard being stronger than the backs of the seats in the 2nd quote. (At least I'm thinking that's what bilsätena means.)

No, the translation isn't perfect, but when I put the quotes into a translator I tried a number of different translators to get one that made the most sense for all the quotes overall. If AD wishes to take the time to translate it word for word, I won't argue and say it's impossible that that translation is wrong, but it was the best I found at the time.

I just think it's worth giving strong consideration to the fact that Swedish seats may not perform the way we would expect them to in comparison to north American seats. There has to be a reason why bracing surface is mentioned repeatedly, and quite frankly I don't trust that we know things are identical between Sweden and North America when it comes to cars. I know for a fact that a number of carseats sold between US and Canada are different in small ways despite looking the same to the average onlooker... Until I see crash test data showing what the downward rotation is with a 54lb rf'ing child, and knowing what happens if the front seat back collapses on top of the child restraint in a rear end collision - or other factors, I have no confidence in the ability of a Swedish seat to protect children in a north American vehicle. Plus I just plain think it's overkill to buy one for a 3yr old child who is over 35lbs and safe to ff. :eek: (Just my personal opinion.)

Now I will add at the end of this all that reviewing the quotes I can see where there are some assumptions I've made on my end. The number of quotes that I sorted through that mentioned the bracing though led me to believe that there's a reason why it's being mentioned. The last quote mentions that front seat is preferable because there's less likelihood of the child's head impacting the front seat. If nothing else this does equate to it not being advisable to use a Swedish seat to the same height limits as one would in Sweden. They may allow tips of the ears in terms of height allowance, but I certainly wouldn't want the head to be above the top of the shell of the seat with a back seat installation, and as we know front seat installation in north America isn't an option 99% of the time. (To this I'll add that it's only a general rule that I'm aware of in terms of tops of ears to the top of the shell being allowed. I'm not sure if it's universal among all rf'ing Swedish seats or not.)

I do want to make it clear that I'm not saying Swedish seats are death traps. I'm simply saying that we don't have enough information to assume that they're safe in north American vehicles. We don't know how they perform or how the crash dynamics compare, and there is no oversight- so far as ongoing safety goes, by any federal body in either the US or Canada if someone did import one.

I guess it all comes down to balance of risks. I have a low tolerance for risk, and since 35lb limit seats get most kids at least to age 2 - which is the period of time that we know rf'ing provides the most extra protection, I don't see it being worth the extra risk. :shrug-shoulders:

Adventuredad

OMG, you write long answers....:D

I am wondering though what the guy meant by "That brings us back to the question of why it's better for the seat to be fixed at the foot end in both slots." Do you mind elaborating on what he was referring to? (Just because I'm naturally curious. )

By talking about "fixed at the foot end in both slots." he's referring to how the seat is fastened in the seat belt. Seat belt can be threaded a couple of difference ways and he was simply saying that it's better to use both slots when threading seat belt

I am curious about the US and CDN experts who believe Swedish seats would pass standards testing here. Considering that there is nothing preventing a higher weight rf'ing seat from being sold in Canada, either the companies are choosing to not do the testing, or the seat doesn't meet standards. If they feel the seat meets standards, I don't understand why they wouldn't do the testing...

Good point. Since I sell many car sats and work with manufacturers and experts it's very clear that car sea business is a lot about politics. A seat may be sold in one country but absolutely not in another despite having the correct certification. Some country may not even have an English translation of a manufacturer website to inform customers better since head office says it would compete with other countries.

Certifying Swedish seats in US or Canada is not seen as an issue. Some minor certification might be needed but not big deal. It has to do with buusienss, strategy, and habits. Most people don't rear face anywhere near 30 or 35 lbs. A large percentage turn their kids at 12/20 and no Swedish 55 lbs will change that. If habits changed I think companies would be very intrested. But why start selling 55 lbs seats when most parents don't even use their seats to the 35 lbs limit? I'm generelizing of course, people on this board certainly don't think about car seat safety this way but you guyys are not normal:whistle::D Right now, I don't think there is demand for the 55 lbs in US and Canada. If habits change selection of sets might chagne as well.

So is it approved to use the seat to the full weight limit without bracing or a foot prop then?

Two-Way is tested without bracing or leaning against anything. By the way, is there a difference between the term "leaning" and "bracing"? Two-Way is installed so it barely touches the seat in front. You don't have to ram it into the seat. If seat is installed in front seat it's obsiouly leaning against dashboard.

I'm going to play complete devil's advocate here.... but how do you know what difference is a small one in a collision?

Again, cars used are very similar to US or Canadian cars. There is nothing strange or magical about the Swedish cars. Car sat safety will always vary depending on car and installation. If you have a Marathon installed in two different American cars, safety will be different. Point is there is nothing about the Swedish seats which require a certain type of car. Installation is easy, straightforward, and requires no special equipment. A child would not be any safer in a Swedish Volvo/BMW/Mercedes/Nissan/Honda/Ford (pick a brand) than in an American one.

I don't know what angle is used for testing but I can find out. Generally speaking, both FMVSS and ECE R44 are tough standards. Most say there is ECE R44 is a touch tougher but I don't think that's important.

I guess again it comes down to how much additional force is there on the front seat? How do you know whether or not it's a worry? You can't pick your collision ahead of time to be able to predict the forces involved and what may or may not influence the outcome...

I have spoken to several experts in the field and base my information on this. I mentioned that additional force would be "insignificant" due to a rf Swedish sat being there. That means extra forces would not make a difference in a collision since it's so small.

A
re your vehicle seats designed such that in a severe rear end collision the front seat could collapse backwards or move backwards? (Older vehicles it's common for the seat to completely collapse backwards, some newer vehicles have designs that are intended to allow the front seat to pivot backwards to slow the deceleration of the occupant of the seat - how would the force on the adult occupying that seat be impacted if there was a seat tethered to the front seat?)

Rear collisions are roughly as common as in other countries. There are thousands of different cars on the street. I think this question is even more speculation than the over rotating stuff. Too many variables.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Swedish car seat manufacturers from certifying their seats to CMVSS standards if they so wished. Our weight limit goes to 65lbs in harnessed seats - that means if they could show their seats complied to CMVSS standards they would be able to sell them here. We also don't have any limitations on design in CMVSS standards - so foot props would be allowed... So I wouldn't make the leap of faith that they meet FMVSS and CMVSS standards.

As explained before, I work with this and it's not as straightforward as just certifying the seats and start selling them. There are political reasons as well as business reasons. I think habits need to improve before manufacturers want to certify the seats. Why certify 55 lbs seats when most parents ff at 20-25 lbs?

I think your question is good and interesting and we have talked about it before. WHat came first, chicken or the egg? Maybe interest would increase if 55 lbs seats would be certified and sold? Or maybe it's better to change habits first and make parents use current seats to the limit and then make 55 lbs seats available. I don't have an answer to the question, just think it's an interesting discussion.

I'll note that I'm not placing this here to get into a debate of front seat vs. rear seat, rather that from reading it it says "intended to be mounted facing backwards in the front seat leaning against the dashboard" in the first quote, and talks about the dashboard being stronger than the backs of the seats in the 2nd quote. (At least I'm thinking that's what bilsätena means.)

You need to work on your Swedish:D Dashboard is very strong and offers great protection for a child. It's stronger than regular seats. I don't see the point, installation can be done in front seat or back seat. Actually, if seats are installed in the front, many manufacturers ay foot prop should be used but seat should not touch dashboard. The footprop is basically there to offer even more protection.

Until I see crash test data showing what the downward rotation is with a 54lb rf'ing child, and knowing what happens if the front seat back collapses on top of the child restraint in a rear end collision - or other factors, I have no confidence in the ability of a Swedish seat to protect children in a north American vehicle.

Sorry you feel the Swedish seats offer crappy safety. Speaking from experience, almost everyone I 'm in contact with is of the opposite opinion. Again, there is nothing magical with the Swedish cars and the Swedish seats will work equally well with an American, Mexican, German, Australian, or Japanese car. Your reasoning is pure speculation and there is nothing supporting what you're saying.

Plus I just plain think it's overkill to buy one for a 3yr old child who is over 35lbs and safe to ff. (Just my personal opinion.)

Habits, safety standards, and culture is different depending on country of residence. You're entitled to your opinion and I won't argue with you. I have another opinion but I also think everyone witll have a a different take of the situation. Some think it's crazy to rf longer than 9 months and some think it's crazy to rf shorter than 4 years. Opinions will be different depending on who you ask and what kind of knowledge they have.

Now I will add at the end of this all that reviewing the quotes I can see where there are some assumptions I've made on my end. The number of quotes that I sorted through that mentioned the bracing though led me to believe that there's a reason why it's being mentioned. The last quote mentions that front seat is preferable because there's less likelihood of the child's head impacting the front seat.

You should be careful making too many assumptions and trusting crappy translators. Especially since the translation in this case is completely wrong and make you draw wrong conclusions. The last paragraph says nothing about a childs head impacting the front seat. It's totally incorrect.

This is what it says:

"From a collision safety viewpoint there are several advantages to having a child in front seat without an airbag. Injury rate is somewhat lower in a frontal collision if the child is sitting in a rear facing car seat leaning against the dashboard compared to leaning against the front seat. In a side collision, a child is better protected in the middle rear than in the front seat. Side collisions are more rare than frontal collisions"

From your incorrect translation you're also drawing the incorrect assumption that using a Swedish car seat until tip of ears are at top of seat shell should be dangerous. Swedish seats are tested and approved this way according to the tough ECE R44. There is nothing supporting your claim. Please be careful when using online translators.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not saying Swedish seats are death traps. I'm simply saying that we don't have enough information to assume that they're safe in north American vehicles. We don't know how they perform or how the crash dynamics compare, and there is no oversight- so far as ongoing safety goes, by any federal body in either the US or Canada if someone did import one.

Type of vehicle is not important. Swedish car seats work equally well regardless of vehicle. They require not special equipment. Overall safety will vary somewhat depending on car and installation which is the same with any car seat regardless of country.

There is plenty of oversight, there is ECE R44. Swedes are anal about car seat safety and have been since 1965. The seats can handle 55 lbs rear facing and FAR more. There is an incredible safety margin built into the seats which is the same for most seats. This is information coming straigt from someone who designed seats. Certification is "only" to 55 lbs since there is little point of having a higher limit.

I guess it all comes down to balance of risks. I have a low tolerance for risk, and since 35lb limit seats get most kids at least to age 2 - which is the period of time that we know rf'ing provides the most extra protection, I don't see it being worth the extra risk.

I also have a low tolerance for risk which is why I like rf for as long as possible. But we should not argue about this, it's a question of personal opinion and I think everyone should be free to do whatever they want to protect their child.

Have a nice weekend!

miraclebabies

My max would be 3 yrs, even if I had a longer RF seat. My 2yr old is only 24 # fully clothed, so she would make it awhile till the 35 # limit in her MA. DD2 is on the same growth curve as her sis so I am not worried about her hitting 35 # fast either.

skylinphoto

I would if I need it (child over 35 lbs before 3 yrs).
But, my kids are tiny. My almost 1 year old is only 15.5 lbs. And my almost 3 year old is 27.5 lbs.
They'll both be rearfacing for a long time to come. :)

I'd totally get one right now if i could afford it. Not cause i need one but because i want one. lol.

lenats31

No, the translation isn't perfect, but when I put the quotes into a translator I tried a number of different translators to get one that made the most sense for all the quotes overall. If AD wishes to take the time to translate it word for word, I won't argue and say it's impossible that that translation is wrong, but it was the best I found at the time.

You should leave the translation to someone who, knows the Scandi languages or someone with a degree in Scandi languages;)

You can install the RF seats on the front passenger seat provided that the airbag is deactivated. Front passenger airbags in European cars are connected to a key switch.

Rearseat mounting is recommended. However, the are cases of large rearfacing children surviving Highway high speed head on collissions with minor (like a broken arm) injuries sitting on the front passenger seat.

Lena:)

momof3boys541

I would definitely keep my boys rf as long as possible if I could. Both my older boys (5 &4) tell me they wish they could be rf like their little brother.

Freedom_Pixie

I wouldn't use an illegal seat to keep DS RFing. They should make carseats like that over here in the US. But since they don't, I am going to switch DS back to FFIng when he reaches the limits of the TF (whenever we get it). Isn't the limit 35 lbs RFing in the TF and 65lbs FFing? Also, it goes up to 50 inches on the seat too, right? But I wouldn't use an illegal seat.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So let's assume that DD hit 35 pounds before 4 and I could get the seat into Canada without it being confiscated and me losing all the money I spent on it, and that once it got here that it wouldn't get confiscated if the police or RCMP stopped me and again I was out all the money I spent on it, then ya, I'd totally get and use one. After 4 I wouldn't bother.

It's higly likely she'll make it to 3 before 35 pounds. She's 30.5 clothed at 2.5. I'm guessing she'll make it much longer. If she doesn't make it until 4, I wll be very sad since it's too great a risk bringing a seat into Canada since it's doubtful it will make it across the border which means my $500-$700 spent will be gone since customs doesn't return to sender and ensure I get a refund!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC